1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Summer Meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, May 28, 2015.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Ah, OK Lucie.

I'll maybe try to organise something for Autumn or Winter depending oh how people are situated. Autumn for colour, Winter for architectural trees.

2. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Dave ~ Hope you all enjoy the summer trip :D

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Bumping this for people to sign up to.

Still aiming for 1st august (Saturday)

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Still in my diary got so many good shots on the last trip

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

If we can we will, but it's dependant on housebuying - cannot commit to anything at the mo!

Adrian

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Ok. Hope your house buying goes well, and you can make the meet.

7. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

I'm still OK for the meet, nothing new conflicts.

8. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

Unfortunately I now have to be somewhere else next Saturday so can't make the meet. I hope the weather is good and you all have a great time.

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Ah, sorry to hear that.

Is everyone else still up for it?

10. gray1720

So far so good - survey isn't until tomorrow, so unlikely to be doing anything that quickly!

Adrian

11. LesleySM

I'm expecting to be swearing at PSE this time next week as I work through a few hundred flower shots

12. LesleySM

Or at least i hope so- I've damaged my big toe, GP thinks it may be a sprain so it's basically wait and see if it doesn't get better soon I've been told to go to A&E and get it x-rayed. It's not too painful (most of the time but it does have it's moments) but I am walking like a 95-year old right now (and an unfit one at that) and could really do with a crutch. So obviously this puts Saturday at risk, I could maybe get round but don't fancy it completely going miles into the Gardens (not to mention I predict a shortage of volunteers to carry me back to civilisation) and if it's like it is now then I'll be slowing everyone right down.

So it's wait and see here- fingers crossed

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Fingers crossed indeed.

I was looking on the Kew website, and as part of their spice-trail event they're selling spice-based gin cocktails at £7 a time, or soft ones at £3.50. I think they're by the big fountain pond in front of the Palm House.

14. LesleySM

So the timetable for the day is meet at 11.00, take leisurely stroll to Palm House, pause for some light refreshment there at say about 11.30 (And take some shots inside the Palm House thus coming out good and thirsty and needing some more light refreshment). About 3.30 wake up in front of the Palm House after one too many light refreshments

15. gray1720

Sounds good to me!

Adrian
    (actually, I haven't touched cocktails since the day I fell off my bike cycling home... up the canal towpath! In the circumstances falling off into dogsh*t on the opposite side to the canal seemed like a lucky escape!)

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

How's the toe Lesley, any developments?

I suppose it could use some "liquid anesthetic".

I'll try to have a recce this week to get a feel of the "events".

17. LesleySM

I headed off to A&E yesterday (one of the few perks of my job is I get seen quickly- the boss doesn't want me unchained from my desk too long) and had an X-ray done. No fracture, which is great. SpR suggested the very sensible move of not tying my shoelaces up too tight since where it was a bit swollen the leather was digging in and that simple trick has made a huge difference.

Just to be on the safe side though- those bus things that go round the gardens- do you need to pay in advance or can you just pay if you have to get on one? Just in case I need to use them.

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  19. LesleySM

Thanks- - I hope to be okay but if the tickets aren't too expensive it might be worth me getting one-Knowing I can get one if my foot plays up rather than being stuck miles from the gate etc. is a deal maker for me

20. LesleySM

Only £4.50 a ticket to be able to hop on and off? And looking at the route? Even if I don't use it- it'll help Kew's work?

I think I'll get one at the gate just to be sure