1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Summer Meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, May 28, 2015.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Hi All

Looking at the TfL site, the only days in July and August where they could be giving us problems are the 18th and 19th July.

Kew is having a spice-fest until Sept, with a big display of chilies in the Princess of Wales conservatory. Could be good for close-up colour photos.

So, who's up for it?
    Any dates you would prefer?
    Any dates you can't do?

Same as last time, meet up at The Victoria Gate and wing it from there.

In summer think colour. The trees will be indistinct in 40 shades of green so not architectural. Flower macro or close-up.

Lets get this one rolling!

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Bump, in case anyone's missed it.

3. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

I'm overdue another visit to Kew, but looking ahead to July only have the following weekend days free - Sunday 12th and 26th, then in August surprisingly all weekends are currently free other than Saturday 15th and Sunday the 30th.

If the date chosen doesn't clash with anything else I'll can be there.

4. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

At this moment, I'm free every Saturday in July (Sundays are another matter) and August right now (although if possible I'd like to avoid the 15th ) and hopefully (fingers crossed) things will improve on the Dave front (we may finally be getting physio in mid June- only taken since before Xmas!) so I'll be okay to be out all day

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, let's run 12th July up the flagpole and see who salutes it!

Ooh, cliche!

6. LesleySM

Duly saluted

7. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Not looking good for Ailsa and I, I'm afraid...

Adrian

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Oopsie moment!

Saturday is the 11th July, Sunday is the 12th

Sorry for any confusion

9. LesleySM

All I ask is that as soon as a date is finalised let me know as I am no way going to get any leave in August or September due to covering for colleagues on leave I'm thinking about making that a long weekend after all I'll have loads of photos to work on the next day

And alas I am stuck with a manager who demands I give him at least 2 weeks notice for leave. (Recently, I didn't have any work as all my doctors were at a conference, everyone else was in but I asked him on the Monday if I could have the Friday and he said it was too short notice so he wouldn't let me have it. I spent the entire day staring at the wall)

Also if we could avoid the 25th of July that would help

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK Lesley, don't want to cause you more hassle.

I said the 12th (Sunday) and it's received approval, so let's lock it down.

Sunday 12th July, Victoria Gate, 11 am.

How's that?

11. LesleySM

Fine by me but Gray can't do it, as I say with the exception of the 25th I'm free and my boss only needs 2 weeks notice so another date would also work for me

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

We'll see if he can make any other dates, though I'm on the brink of booking a week in Wales between the 17th and 23rd.

13. LesleySM

Could Gray do the 11th?

14. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

11th definitely out I'm afraid - I'm taking a bunch of ringers round some churches in Essex.

We have the first two weekends in August free (I'd rather do Saturday, Sunday is sacred to the god C'ricket), and that's about it...

Sorry for the delay in replying, Dave - a bit hectic at the mo!

Adrian

15. LesleySM

As far as I can recall 1st of August is fine for me

16. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK then I was a bit hasty in trying to lock down the 12th July.

Since TfL aren't doing anything to the tracks then, let's move it back to the 1st August.

17. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Depending on how confrontational you wish to be....
    I seem to recall that you only had to give notice equal to the duration (unless something else is in your employment contract),
    ie 1 day's notice to take a day off, 3 days notice to take 3 days off, 2 weeks notice to take 2 weeks off etc etc.
    So you should be able to ask for a Monday off on the preceding Thursday with no real (legal) problem

However, some managers are totally unreasonable....... but should be reminded of the employee's rights from time to time

18. LesleySM

There is nothing in our rules- the manager before this one was fine with a few days notice even one before who had no problem with "it's a nice day can I take this afternoon off?"

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, let's do a head count

DaveS, (me)
    LesleySM
    Gray1720 (Adrian)
    Steve Bell

Anyone else?

20. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Would have loved to join you but I'm working that day ~ taking a youth group to Brighton Pride ...hopefully third time lucky ~ I'm determined to make it to one of these meets!!