1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Gardens meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Dec 7, 2013.

1. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

Adrian, before the train stopped I was sat down ready to kill a certain employee. I got off at the first stop which was Warrington. I still don't know where that is, I'm surprised I wasn't asked for my passport.
    You're more than welcome for the film, let's hope you get some good images. I'm looking forward to seeing the results on film. I shall put some images on soon but I doubt the wait will be worth it. Lol.
    Dean.

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

A friend of mine was born and grew up in Warrington and said if he hadn't escaped at 18 when he went to uni- he would have blown the dump up- I feel the same about Romford

3. deanolorenzo

Leslie, it would be unfair of me to pass judgement on the place as I was there by accident, but I was certainly not impressed with the train staff at Birmingham new street. They were the worst I encountered.

On a brighter note, why oh why we're you concerned about showing your images? I really am impressed with your candid portraits, excellent stuff.
    Dean.

4. LesleySM

Thanks- I'm always just a bit nervous when everyone else was probably born with a camera in their hand and their first word was "shutter" and they recognise "converging verticals"

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Let's try this...
    [​IMG]
    and this
    [​IMG]

6. IvorETower

Realised I am posting in the wrong thread

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  7. LesleySM

Well this week has been a steep learning curve- I couldn't work out how to upload anything so I had to learn that and get a photobucket account sorted out in the process...

Then I had to go through a ton of photos but I've been much better (maybe because I had to be) at controlling the workflow- basically I kept all the RAW and JPEGS that hadn't been worked on in one folder and had one folder for the finished results then I went through the first folder deleted any rubbish and duplications then worked every image I thought was really good in RAW, saved it as a JPEG when finished and moved it to the other folder then deleted them from the first folder.

I ended up with shots good enough to go to the exhibition here (and thanks for the compliments) then a batch of shots that I posted on FB and finally a couple of shots I like for personal reasons/might be worth looking back at later. I then had emptied the first folder so deleted that.

I got 32 shots I liked including some I'm really rather proud of

8. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Well done Lesley. Mine were utter carp this time around and I suspect, looking around for excuses, that my heavy doses of anti depressants are having a marked effect on my creative side. I just find it hard to get enthusiastic about anything at the moment to be honest.

9. LesleySM

And you have a wedding in the pipeline if I recall right? Must take up a lot of your time

Funny I was thinking about it this morning- we're all agreed on a return trip in the autumn aren't we? Perhaps we should ask DaveS when would be a good time and start thinking about a date? That way those who have to get trains booked could take advantage of cheaper fares for advance booking and the rest of us would have it in our diaries to work round

10. Mark101

Yes, very true - You can book three months in advance on thetrainline.

11. LesleySM

So come on DaveS- when would be a good time for the autumn trip? I think September? I'd be just a tad worried come October the weather might be a bit bad- then again we could just warm up in the palm house or the waterlilly house- those places might be too hot even with a gale force blizzard outside!

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, I hear your call!

Let me have a look at dates, ATM I'm thinking last two weeks in Oct or first week Nov to catch the colour. Probably a Sat again.

I'm thinking we may go the other way round, looking at the Japanese Landscape, Pagoda etc then back to the Victoria Gate. Oh, and none of this "meet at the station" malarkey, straight-up meet at Victoria gate. 11 o/c still do people?

ATM I've developed a head-cold from going to view a house on Fri and getting caught in a downpour.

Hopefully I will have moved by the autumn but that will mean a more convoluted journey.

13. IvorETower

The clocks go back overnight October 25-26; may be an idea to aim for Sat 25th or the previous Saturday (18th) to maximise the daylight ?

14. LesleySM

In the end no one met at the station so I guess we're all okay for 11 at the Victoria Gate again and I really want to see the Japanese Landscape Pagoda

And I hope your cold gets better soon!

15. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, 18th or 25th sounds good.

The colour may have developed more by the 25th, or may have been blown to hell.

Dunno, too far ahead to think about right now, and I've still got a thick head.

16. deanolorenzo

Dave, I wonder if your convoluted journey goes via Warrington? This time I shall be more on guard and if anyone could bring some bread crumbs to drop en route then I shouldn't get lost.

17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

No, only convoluted within London. Probably Picadilly Line to Hammersmith then District to Kew Gardens, rather than Acton Central to Kew Gardens.

Assuming TfL aren't doing engineering work on the 'dilly line which they have ben doing with monotonous regularity of late.

18. Mark101

I may drive down next time after having to put up with miss matched trains on the trip home.