1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Gardens meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Dec 7, 2013.

1. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

The freezer, a film photographers best friend.

We are on the way back to Spalding by train and Diane and myself would like to thank Dave for organizing a great day. It was also nice ro put faces to names. One question though: Where were the AP staff ?

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

From me it was great to see so many of the forum members, and the day went better than I'd hoped. so much so that we've already made tentative plans for an Autumn meet.

Sorry I didn't catch all the replies to the thread yesterday, I was at my film club (We only meet once a month now).

I'm going to make a thread in the Exhibition section for our photos.

3. Mark101

Due to a really crap rail service and mismatched services at Peterborough we finally got home at 9 pm. In retrospect we could have stayed for another drink lol

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that Mark, typical BR.

5. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

This wasn't a formal AP meet- just something organised on here

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Many thanks to you, Dave, for organising this event. It was a very good and enjoyable day indeed, and as you said, good to meet forum members and put faces to names. Will take me a while to sort through my photos and upload those that I consider "reasonable"

7. LesleySM

What a great day!

My hay fever held off and the weather was just right- no rain and not massively hot. Walked miles. Discovered how quickly a lens will mist up in the palm house (less than 20 seconds and as for me I won't need a steam facial for a week!). Amazed at the different colours of the flowers- will never look at rhodendrons in the same light again.

Although it has to be said on the first pass my favourite shots are of the Canadian geese (The AP wildlife masterclass rubbed off on me)

And great company- also nice to find a fellow gamer on the way round

Not sure about the pub- the "Frontier" was really nice but it should be at £4.69 a pint! Oh well I treated myself

Now completely knackered and can't wait for the return visit in the autumn..

What happened to Dean? Then again the number of times I nearly lost everyone as we spread out- perhaps a triffid ate him?

Really great! I've never been that interested in plant photography until now

Thanks to DaveS

8. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

Had a great time, so far have only edited one photo and deleted the obvious dross. Many thanks to Dave for organising the meet.

9. LesleySM

Same here- remember this is the first time I've done some serious RAW editing so please be gentle with me when I post anything

10. Mark101

I know but we cam always live in hope of a free beer on expenses

11. Mark101

I was amazed how well we kept together and all credit to Dave who was constantly keeping an eye on the group.

12. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Good to hear the people had such an enjoyable day out. The day went better than I was expecting without too many people getting lost on the way. But what *did* happen to Dean?

One thing I learned was not to try to do too much on the day. I'm probably too used to moving from location to location at a bit of a clip, forgetting that others will want to take things more leisurely as they are exploring.

Will try to be more realistic about the Autumn meet.

13. Mark101

Just looked in the mirror - 99% cloud yesterday and I have sunburn.

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I think I caught a bit of the sun as well. We've not been used to it these last few months.

The sky's brilliant blue with a few puffy clouds here ATM.

15. LesleySM

At those prices? A round for all of us would probably bankrupt AP! Although it has to be said it was a very good beer

Not sunburnt but my thighs are aching a bit due to the exercise

16. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

Many thanks Dave, even though I lost touch with the group I still enjoyed the day. Afraid I only walk slowly, that and a habit of getting absorbed into ericaceous plants made me fall behind somewhat. I also had fun on the way home. The bloke on the train who was a member of its crew told me that the train went to the Midlands. It did. It just didn't stop. I eventually got home at 23.30. Angina and temper ready to explode. Did manage some reasonable images will post a couple next weekend when I have time. But as I write I'm backing up my images. Once bitten and all that. It really was a great to meet some of the people off the forum and to have a chat with normal people, and yes I include the arch fiddler. LOL.
    Once again many thanks and I'm up for an Autumn meet. Sounds excellent.
    Dean.

17. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Really pleased you all had a great day and that the weather held :)

I sticky'd the thread for you. Looking forward to see all the photographs :)

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks Fen, wondered who to thank:)

Dean , sorry to hear about your rubbish journey home, Mark had "fun and games" with the railways as well.

Having learned from this meet I'll try to be more realistic about the next, not to try and do too much, take things at a more leisurely pace etc. Will probably look at some areas we couldn't take in this time.

19. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

Cheers Dave, the journey was a pain but never spoilt my day. I'm already looking forward to an Autumn meet.
    Again many thanks, it was a fantastic idea.
    Dean.

20. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Yes, a great day out!

Big thanks to Mark and Dean for the film, which I'll get developed as soon as I get paid (it's been on of those months), and I'll try to get some pics up tonight.

Dean - where on earth did you end up before the train stopped?

Adrian