1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Gardens meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Dec 7, 2013.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, this may change but:

Meet at Victoria gate at 11 o/c then proceed in a counter-clockwise direction with the first stop being the fountain pond by the Palm House.

Divide up, either going counterclockwise around the pond or clockwise taking in the Palm House and Water Lily House.

Meet up again on the other side and head to the Princess of Wales conservatory, taking in the Rock Garden (With some nice little "waterfalls") and the Alpine House. Again a choice of routes.

Meet up again on the far side of the conservatory and continue counterclockwise picking up various lesser known areas (There's one behind some trees by the maingate) ending up at The White Peaks for lunch about 1 o/c or so.

Leave White Peaks at 1.30-ish continuing counterclockwise to look at possibly Bluebells / Daffs, the Azalea Garden and / or the Rhododendron Dell, depending on how advanced things are. From there we could look at the Lake and head for the Tree-Top walkway. Further round there's the Japanese Garden / Pagoda etc.

At this point time may be pressing, but I think we should aim to be back at the Victoria Gate for coffee / tea / chocolate if needed somewhere around 4.30 before heading home. That is, unless anyone wants to cut it short or extent their visit.

Those going by rail could have a stop at the "Tap on the Line" for a pint.

I advise all to download and print a map from the site, if they don't already have one.

2. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Victoria Gate (will I recognise her?)
    I hope the person who was going to pick up the diver's helmet for me to guard off hay fever remembers to do so......
    Forecast at the moment looks promising

3. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Oops I should have read the schedule properly before I posted.

Hopefully at the station at 10.30 but if I am not there I'll make the Gate for 11 so don't wait for me

4. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

I'll be arriving at the station at 09:57 so I shall probably saunter over to Victoria Gate. (My chauffeuse has other plans so can't take me to the station any later)

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I'll be aiming for Kew Gardens station before 10.30, perhaps 10.15 if I'm lucky then heading for the gate at about 10.45 to be there from about 10.50 to be ready for those meeting there.

BTW there are loos just beyond the Victoria Plaza if anyone needs them.

6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Will try to catch you at the pub, but if not I'll text or call Dave. We should all be easy to identify anyway loaded down with camera bags and a folded copy of AP under our arms

7. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

I'll be meeting you all at Victoria Gate. Looking forward to the meet.

8. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Minor crisis!

Borrowed the mother-out-laws Tamron 90mm macro, and realised I only have one roll of 35mm colour film. Has anyone got a roll or two they could bring along? Happy to pay!

Cheers,

Adrian

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  9. LesleySM

Well I have got off to a great start....

Met a friend for lunch today who insisted on taking me to my favourite (and his) Chinese restaurant where we had the 3-course set meal- it took 2 leisurely hours and guarantees I won't faint from hunger tomorrow or for the next 4 days for that matter. On the way back I took out enough money so I won't have to make a diversion in the morning or find the cashpoint is closed

Came home- printed out the itinerary, checked I had DaveS's phone number, put my battery into the charger, assembled the lenses I'm taking (Swapped me 18-55 f2.8 DX for my Sigma 10-20 wide angle, added my nifty fifty and the Samyang fisheye and put the Tamron 90mm macro on as I think that's going to the most useful) then thought this would be a good time to give the lenses a good clean. For some reason there's a mark on the filter on my 50mm that was quite stubborn- so I thought although it beats me how (the filter was fitted when I brought the lens from Grays) is the mark on the inside of filter ? Turned out it was but when turning the filter round I leant forward and completely forgot I had an open bottle of lens cleaning fluid on my lap.....I got soaked in the stuff! And need to buy another bottle

Oh well hopefully it's not hugely expensive..everything is in my bag, tripod located, all I have to do tomorrow is get up, feed the cats, feed Dave, have quick shower, walk to station pausing the pick up some water on the way, depending on tubes etc. aiming for 10.30 if not I'll walk down to Victoria Gate for 11...

Hopefully the weather will be as good as it was today

See you all there

10. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Spare camera battery currently on charge, getting ready to pack my camera bag.
    Please remember that we can post our photos here
    https://www.flickr.com/groups/ap-mag-unofficial-meetups/
    but if you've not already done so, you'll need to ask me for access to the group.
    I shall probably be there early in the hope of finding a parking space near the main gate; if all goes well, I may go inside and if there's no re-admission wait inside the gardens. However if there are delays on the M3.....

11. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Adrian, just checked my freezer and the only stock I have is 120. Just had a rummage through some old bags and found a roll of Etar 100 dated 11/2010 ...any good?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  12. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

AP looks forward to seeing the results :) My personal thanks, ahead of time, to DaveS for organising this. No mean feat!

Have a good day.

Regards
    Mark :cool:

PS. Don't forget the 'group' shot.

13. gray1720

As an arch-fiddler... yes, that'll do nicely. Thank you!

I lay claim to bringing the weirdest camera along. Already. It'll be hard to beat.

Adrian

14. LesleySM

I know he's about to find as I did when I organised the East London walk- that keeping a group of photographers together is harder then herding cats! Still one of the best photo walks I went on- I managed to get seperated from the rest of them less than 20 minutes after the start, called the leader and found out he and they had walked past me without realising and when we finally met I'd got some of the best shots of the day

15. LesleySM

I think one of my legs needs looking at by someone who knows that they are doing....on my tripod. I haven't used it for ages and have never used it outdoors and one leg seems unstable but it could just me me

16. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

Adrian, I have 2 rolls of fujifilm c200 dated April 2013 if you want.
    Dean.

17. gray1720

That would be grand, Dean - between you and Mark I'm sure I have plenty!

Many thanks,

Adrian

18. deanolorenzo

deanolorenzo Well-Known Member

You're more than welcome. It's now out the fridge and in my bag.
    Dean.

19. LesleySM

I'm getting a tad worried that I may not be a proper photographer as all my fridge/freezer contains is food and beer so does that make me an improper photographer?

20. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

If thats your case then I have never been a photographer!