1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Gardens meet

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Dec 7, 2013.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Following on from the general meet-up thread and so as not to confuse it further.

Who's up for an April meet-up?

I'm thinking Sat 12th or Sun 13th April, meeting at the Railway Tavern by Kew Gardens station (District or London Overground) 10.30 for getting in (Victoria Gate) at 11 o/c or thereabouts.

I'll pay entrance for anyone who's not a member or has a free pass, but you'll have to buy your own lunch.

General movement anticlockwise in a loose group to meet at The White Peaks for lunch at or about 1 o/c (It gets busy and the food vanishes quickly by 1.30). Then continuing anticlockwise to meet up again at Victoria Gate at 4.30 or so for coffee / tea / chocolate depending on preference / temperature. Finally making for The Railway Tavern again for a pint if desired before heading home.

Any takers?

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I'm in!

3. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard!

4. Steve Bell

Steve Bell Well-Known Member

I'm certainly still interested. The only thing that could put me off, and that goes for any outdoors meet, is if the weather is consistently bad. The occasional shower is no problem. Looking forward to it.

5. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

If the weather's poor, we can dive into the glasshouses, but would have to carry our 'pods as they don't allow them to be used in the glasshouses.

Remember the old Norwegian saying, "There's no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing":D

6. Mark101

Mark101 Well-Known Member

Count me in :D

7. Mark101

Is the use of a Joby Gorrillapod allowed ?

8. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

How about a monopod, also used as a walking stick?

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Although I don't *know* for certain I think you'd get away with a Joby or a monopod. I've also seen tourists with walking poles, so a monopod might creep under the radar.

TBH I've used a tripod in the glasshouses before without anyone commenting but if a heap of us did that might be another matter.

10. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

So what happens if you get 100 people turning up? At £14.50 each you are going to have a hefty bill!

11. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Firstly, don't forget that the main glasshouse is closed for repairs at the moment. Also you can't use tripods without permission. If you are planning on going as a group, it may be worth writing to their PR department and asking for permission beforehand.

I was with a group (from a camera club) and the club secretary wrote to them and they replied saying it would be okay as long as they didn't get in the way of the other visitors and that they should take the letter with them in case they were approached by any staff.

I don't have any contact with anyone from the camera club nowadays but I guess you could find out the name of the person to contact at Kew via their website.

12. Mark101

I've just e mailed them regarding this matter. I note there is a group visit site with info that might be hand if we developed a large enough group -You can book lunch for example. I also see there is a hop on and off land train for about £3 to get people around.

13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I was expecting on the order of 10-12 max similar to the East End meet. I couldn't invite people to a venue that charges for entrance and expect them to pay.
    £1450 would be a big bill certainly, but not insurmountable.

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, I did look at that (And enquire at the entrance) a while ago when I first thought of a Kew meet, they also do a group discount for entrance.

15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Yes you can.

You are organising the meeting, not inviting everyone to Kew at your expense!

I used to organise London meetups quite often in the 'old days' and no one would've expected for the organiser to pay for the event!

At the first instance you put the information about ticket prices and any other costs, then if people want to go along they can. But it out of their own pocket and not yours.

16. Mark101

I'm a little concerned that you are considering paying the entrance fee for the group Dave. I don't have a great deal of spare cash at the moment, but I have some free rail vouchers from 2013 that I can use and can certainly put some cash aside between now and April. Actually, if you continue to insist that it's your invite then the very least we can do I suggest is have a whip round and buy you lunch and a beer or two.

17. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I agree with other people here. You are inviting us to come and walk round with you, you are providing your expertise as you know the area better than the rest of us, we should pay our own admission and I certainly will! Either that or I will buy you the equivalent amount in beer

18. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

OK, if people are willing to pay their own way, fair enough, but the offer still stands should anyone want to come but find themselves strapped for cash.

So far we have:

DaveS (me)
    LesleySM
    Mark101
    Steve Ball
    Dorset_Mike (Maybe possibly)

19. TimHeath

TimHeath Well-Known Member

You could count me in too Dave and I am more than happy to stump up the entrance fee.

20. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks.

If we can get 10 or more we would count as a group, and if I book 2 weeks in advance the prices are £12.35 ea or £10.65 for concessions.

Otherwise it's £16.00 at the gate.