1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Autumn meet 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Sounds great, though an even longer journey for me, though with a bit of luck fewer changes and back-tracking.

I had considered a late winter meet with the trees still bare and architectural, but I think we may have problems with early darkness unless people can make a very early start.

2. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Remind me again where you'd be coming from?

3. LesleySM

I could make an early start and if we do then all things considered I may become a "Friend of Kew Gardens"

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Not as far as Adrian or Sam, obviously, but my journey would be Eastcote to Hammersmith, then District Line from there. What would be the best station for your meet?

If we did a late winter Kew meet, I'm thinking a 10 o/c start (when they open) to get a long enough day. Kew closes at 4.15 in the winter anyway, and it gets dark not long after.

5. LesleySM

Mile End which is on the Central line, quicker get off at Hammersmith - cross the road and get the Hammersmith and City line to Mile End it's faster than the District line

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Thanks Lesley, sounding good to me.

7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Dave, Lesley and Lucy, were excellent company during the Kew Gardens meet-up, though due to the park being closed by the time we left the pub, I then had to wheelie from Victoria Gate to Brentford Gate, by which time, my arms were beginning to ache due to the slight slope on the pavements, (there to drain the rainwater off) which continually 'steers' all manual wheelchairs towards the road! My sympathies to Lesley, who almost sprained her ankle, and yes, the Spring meet around your neck of the woods, sounds an excellent idea! Next time I go, I'm going to use Kew's 'bus' as well, though happy about disrupting the other passengers, embarking and disembarking along the route!

Dave's route-plan worked really well, and the Treetop walk, showed just how strong the forces of nature can be, as it was a bit like that infamous Thames bridge - after being modified - yet highly enjoyable all the same!

I parked up at Brentford Gate, then made my way over to the Palm House where the others were. There's also an overhead walkway in that, via a rather marvellous circular staircase which at other times in the year, must offer a really spectacular view. I was expecting issues with steaming up lenses, yet this wasn't that big a problem after all.

So, many thanks to DaveS for organising this AP outing!

8. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Great to meet Dave, Lesley and Sam and thanks to you all for a fabulous & fun day out.
    I think I understood about 1/10th of the photography / equipment discussions! So felt very much a newbie!! :D
    Thanks again to Sam for the loan of your flash (now on my xmas list!) an absolute life saver
    With regards to my ISO issue, I think i'll post something in the Nikon technical section here to see what others may come up with.

Here's a quick example of a shot from a holiday 2 years back - the abandoned buildings where quite dark and I didn't have a tripod so took this handheld at 1/100 sec at 2500 iso - its noise central!!!!

I'm up for a Kew winter meet & Lesley's spring walk...
    Agree that the Kew bus is a good way to go!

[​IMG]

9. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Glad that people had a good day out, sorry for the untoward cantankerousnesses that befell some. I was worrying myself sick before the meet thinking of the things that could go wrong, and racking my brains over a good one-day route. I was concerned about how well Sam's wheelchair would handle the path around the lake, but it was OK in the end, means I could include it in a winter meet if Sam would like to come.

I'll have a look at TfL to see what work they have planned for Jan-Feb. Of course that won't cover the random signel failures that plague the tube.

I may take a break from organising Kew meets for a while.

10. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I've now put the first five images in the Exhibition Gallery

11. LesleySM

For Sam- Google "London Necropolis Line" I've tried to cut and paste a link but for some reason I can't do it

12. LesleySM

My shoulders started to ache when I read that! Pushing a manual chair away from the road due to that slope when Daves sitting in it....People used to ask me if pushing the chair hurt my legs/back but it was my shoulders that suffered