1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kew Autumn meet 2015

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by DaveS, Sep 14, 2015.

1. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

Looks like Dave will live after all

Are we still on for Saturday?

2. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Yes, I think so.

I'm hoping Lucie will be able to join us else it'll just be us two, unless anyone else joins at the last minute. I think Steve Bell was interested, as was Footloose Returns.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  3. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Yep, I'm in..looking forward to it! :D

4. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Good-oh, that's three of us so far.

I'm thinking the lake will be worth a look, as it usually colours up nicely this time of year. It'll be worth keeping an eye out for fungi too, as I've often seen good specimens around.

5. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Yes, I'm still up for this, Just been looking at the disabled parking side of things, and this is what they say ...

There are eight extra wide disabled parking bays in our Brentford Gate car park, near the ticket kiosk.

There are also three disabled parking bays to the right of the Elizabeth Gate on Kew Green.

You may find a space on Kew Road (A307) where you can park free of charge after 10am.

So, which of these entrances (Brentford Gate/Elizabeth Gate) will we be meeting up at, and what time?

I'll be pretty easy to spot, as I'll be using a vivid green sports w/chair. Just hoping they don't use too many gravel walkways, as I'll be doing this unassisted.

Mind you, if someone 'acts' as my 'carer', they will get in free, and then there's the back of my chair which can be used to carry someone's camera rucksack - My 'kit' is going to be stored under the seat, as usual.

Sam.

6. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well, Lesley and I will be coming by District Line train to the Victoria Gate, which is the opposite side of the gardens to the Brentford gate.

Here's a link to their zoomable map:

http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/plan-your-visit/map

Have to think this one through....If Lesley, Lucie and I meet at the Victoria Gate, aim for a bit earlier than 11 o/c if possible, then head to the little roundabout affair to the north of the Palm House Pond (The one with the fountain) and meet you there. How does that sound?

Edit: Most of the paths are tarmac and fairly level. The Palm House has wheelchair access, as does the waterlily house. I think the PoW Conservatory has a wheelchair path through it. Have to think about the lake, as I think the paths there are gravel.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  7. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Dave, PM'd you, re parking etc.

8. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Hi yes, I saw

I think you could park in the Brentford Gate car park (Be careful, the entrance road is very narrow) and then make your way south-ish to the little roundabout thing to the north of the fountain pond. Those of us coming to the Victoria Gate will meet you there, unless you want to come all the way.

General suggestion, bring food and drink to avoid the queues and prices in the eateries.

9. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Somewhat envious, have a great time everyone and ... don't forget to show us the photos! I have visions of Sam, laden with everyone's camera gear, scything down unsuspecting tourists like Boadicea...

Adrian

10. lm1

lm1 Well-Known Member

Hi Dave

Just to check, are we still aiming for an 11am meet or slightly earlier - just looking at my train links and I should get to kew station at 10:45 (asuming all trains run on time!!)

11. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm thinking along the lines of people starting to turn up from 10.30 or so, setting off around 11 o/c. I'm aiming for 10.30 but like you train dependent.

12. LesleySM

My cunning plan is to head out about 10 it should only take me 45 minutes on the tube to Kew if anything holds me up I'll call DaveS and catch you up if not before we can meet in the pub afterwards- hoping to get some good shots again batteries charged and ready to go

13. LesleySM

I offer experience with wheelchairs as my partner has to use one now and again like right now he's been using one for the last year

14. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I have, on occasion pushed mum around in a Kew wheelchair, but that was a good few years ago now :(.

Likewise, battery charged, and actually *in* the camera (D'oh :eek:), lenses cleaned, food ready in the 'fridge ready to go in the morning.

Fingers crossed that TfL don't muck up the lines.

15. LesleySM

Battery charged- lens sorted- My dear Tamron Macro mounted

Ready!!!

16. LesleySM

ARGH! I am out of lens cleaner! Still Tamron looks okay after a wipe with a cloth if anyone had spare cleaner fluid etc...

17. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

We had a great day out, and the expected rugby disruption didn't occur, though I think TfL managed to muck up Lucie's journey. Still, we all managed to meet up (In the Palm House actually) and went around taking plenty of photos despite the rubbish skies (Which were just breaking as we left.

A long "Debrief" then took place in the "Tap on the Line" before we made our several ways home.

18. LesleySM

Lucy's journey? I was hit by "severe disruption" on the District Line- they were just cancelling trains so I got the Overground into Stratford via places like Willesden Junction- never been there before and have no plans to go again but at least I had a seat and it's a better view than the tube and I dozed off for a bit. Got into Stratford about 7 then got a bus back to Bow-popped into my local where Peter (one of the regulars) saw my camera - turns out he recently picked up a Nikon DSLR but doesn't understand why a lens makes a difference- cue me showing him how portraits look better with the Nifty Fifty than say with a Tamron 90 and how aperture works

In fact I've only just got in and started on making something to eat- later on a long hot soak (I was right to stop when I did- I think it was a small stumble on the way round that finished me off my bad ankle is just stiff but if I'd kept going it might have been worse- LOVE the Explorer land bus- I think if I went on my own I'd use it more)

Great to meet DaveS again and Lucy and Sam

Not going to look at photos tonight through at least not just now I think food, bath first then maybe

Lucy- I have a friend who drinks in my local who really knows the technical stuff and I told him about your ISO problem and he suggests you look at your WB

Sam- You have a massive fund of funny stories and hoping to hear more if you fancy coming to my proposed spring walk

DaveS-Hope the milk didn't poison you too much

19. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

I'm sorry you had such a rubbish journey Lesley. I think there must have been a signal failure somewhere as when I was coming home I heard an announcement about severe delays but was a bit dopey.

Touch wood over the milk. I think it was just on the turn, it was OK in my tea (Which is alkaline) but I think there must have been just enough acid in the coffee to turn it.

20. LesleySM

This is where I'm thinking of for a spring walk

Alas I don't seem able to cut and paste the link but Tower Hamlets Cemetary Park is 31 acres of woodland- the biggest urban woodland in London- supporting a load of trees, plants, birds, butterflies, birds, beetles, other insects (Their website I confess says "beetles, butterflies and insects"), bats and even badgers. And of course the gravestones are stunning

I've asked them about photography