1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

K5ii and K5iis - price difference and filter removal

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Shovelheadstroker77, Jun 6, 2013.

1. Shovelheadstroker77

Shovelheadstroker77 Active Member

Hi folks - just joined this forum - so thought what better way to start things off than by asking a daft laddie question! I am looking to upgrade to an SLR having been well served by my finepix S7000 for the last 10 years! I intend to keep my next camera for as long so I am happy to spend a bit to get something worth while. Having looked at Canon's D700 etc etc I have concluded that build quality, ruggedness and weather proofing are going to be factors and that quest has lead me to the Pentax K5ii and K5iis- I like the idea of the filterless K5iis but there is about £130 price difference. Why is the K5iis more when it has less components than the K5ii? and also is it possible to have the filter from a K5ii removed so it has the same spec as the K5iis (guarantee voiding aside). I expect having that done professionally would almost cost as much on the saving made in the purchase price but I just curious. Stephen

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the AP Forums and a question I wondered myself and I flog these things :eek: IMHO, trying to answer that question is why governments do what they do? Case in point, the Canadian gov't (from whence I hail) finally came to the realisation that making a "penny" when it cost 1.5 pennies to make was a money losing proposition .... why so long:confused:.

I would suggest sending an email to PentaxRicoh Japan requesting an answer but I wouldn't expect an answer ;)

Cheers,

Jack

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Hallo and welcome again.

They would have to set up a separate production line for a smaller number of cameras, which would be more expensive.

Funnily enough, the same question is in this week's AP, it looks difficult to find a company to do it, and would cost a lot more than buying the IIs in the first place.

4. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, and welcome to the forum, Stephen! I guess you must be a biker! :)

The K5iis doen't actually just have the filter removed, rather the AA filter is replaced with another component that doesn't actually have the same blurring effect. Just removing it would change the effective distance that the image was focussed on the sensor.

Then the economies of scale of producing a smaller number of different cameras comes in.

5. Shovelheadstroker77

Thanks for that insight folks - (yes Alex- you've rumbled me - I used to run a 96", stroked, twin plugged shovel, slashcut with 18" apes - but I digress). Well - looks like the K5 iis it is, though it will take me a while to save up for pentax digital lenses - that brings me onto my next question. Presuming the K5iis will take older manual K mount lenses I am planning to pick up manual non digital lenses to start with. However, will these be able to do the camera justice or should I save my money and just wait until I can afford the digital lenses? If the former, then is there old glass that you can recommend I keep an eye out for on ebay etc - I would be looking for a macro, wide angle, prime 35mm and 50 to 300 telephoto. If you know of specific old glass you would recommend for those roles please let me know. Looking forward to your advice and if I get any of the technical jargon wrong do say so, as I newbie to digital SLRs, I am here to learn. Thanks Stephen

6. AlexMonro

Some of the old Manual Pentax glass is excellent - the original Pentax SMC coating was pretty good for its time, but has now probably been surpassed by some of the latest modern coatings. I haven't got any specific recommendations, just the general observation that Pentax DSLRs are probably the best for backwards compatibility with old lenses - the PK-A mount with an A setting on the aperture ring should give you full metering and auto exposure modes, the older PK mount only gives centre weighted stop down metering. Lots more info here.

Remember that the K5 has a sensor smaller than a standard 35mm film frame, so you'll get a narrower angle of view - a standard lens is around 32mm. You need to multiply the actual focal length by the so-called "crop factor" of 1.5 to get an idea of the equivalent focal length in 35mm field of view terms.

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

So it should be, it was Carl Zeiss' T* coating under another name from when they were investigating a joint venture. Useless fact of the day. ;)

8. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I own the Pentax K-5 and have several film days lenses that worked with my Z1-p film slr, which I still have and use occasionally.

The 'old' film lenses work very well on the K-5. Remember that film lenses had to be designed to remove chromatic aberrations as this could not be done afterwards with film. Some digital lenses are not so good in this department, because it is cheaper to leave out the 'fine design tuning', which costs money and then let you correct it in software.

Look for these:

Pentax 70-210 f/4 one touch zoom (slide to zoom twist to focus).
    Pentax 28-105 f/4 to 5.6 'A' Power zoom (excellent lens)
    Sigma EX 100-300 f/4 zoom (out of production but excellent)
    Pentax 50mm f/1.5 'A' Autofocus prime (Can be bought for about £40-50)
    Pentax 100mm f/4 'A' prime macro.

One other suggestion. Are you sure that the K-5iis is what you want. Do you photograph people wearing suits, or fabrics in street markets, or other things with regular close parallel lines? You may find the Moire patterns a bit of a problem.......

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  9. Shovelheadstroker77

Thanks for the advice on the lenses David - that will be a great help. Re does the K5iis - fit the bill for me? - I will mostly be using it for landscape and wildlife shots and action shots of dogs in snow etc (I run a search and rescue dog). So I figure the build quality/weather proofing was a plus, as was the 7 fps burst rate. I am sure there will be rare occasions where not having the filter will mean some post production editing but I am presuming that is relatively straight forward to fix. I have also looked closely at the canon 650d and 700d but the pentax seems a bit less gimmicky and more like a "proper" camera which will last me for years. My first digi was FinepixS7000 and that has lasted me 10 years and still going strong but I want something which will let me explore more now. If anyone has any suggestions for a better alternatives in £800 camera body price range speak up! -Stephen

10. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Although i am a Pentax user of many years standing and perhaps a bit swayed, I do not believe you will do any better for the money. The K-5 sensor is the same as in the Nikon D-7000, but seems to be rated a little higher in test reports. It is probably the best APS-C sensor of its type available, so no worries there. I have had an issue with my first K-5 over the oily sensor problem, but it was replaced without a quibble. I bought mine from SRS, who have a first class reputation.

The weather proofing is first class and now the availability of WR lenses is increasing too. I am more that pleased with the image quality, speed of autofocus and shutter lag (what lag?) and have not missed a shot because of delays. There is noticeable image improvement over my K-7 and better noise control at high ISO. The rapid fire of 7fps also is helpful with wildlife shots. But even then one can still miss the perfect shot!

I also have the battery grip fitted, which adds extra size for the grip and makes portrait shots easier, but it does add to the weight of course.

If you buy from a shop, which I would advise, check out the function of the level horizon display. I will say that mine is about two degrees out of line with the sensor and the viewfinder. If I use the viewfinder to get the horizon straight, then the image is too, but if I rely on the indicator, it isn't. I sent it back for adjustment and it came back just just the same. Not a problem in real life, but a little annoying that it is not correct. I may just be unlucky here, as I know others who do not have this issue. I might add that all other cameras seem to have something that the owners complain about, nothing is perfect.

Good luck with it and enjoy.......

Last edited: Jun 14, 2013
  11. AlexMonro

Thanks for that, Nick, I learn something new every day! (If I'm lucky and keep paying attention! :))

12. Shovelheadstroker77

having thought the K5iis was the camera to go for I have just read some threads on other forums about Pentax releasing K 3 in 2013 (although one seemed to be an Aprils fool.) S'pose there is always going to be new model coming out when weighing up which camera to buy but does anyone know any further detail on the K 3?

13. Stanovich

Stanovich Member

Another (very satisfied) K5IIs user here. The downside to the lack of a low-pass filter is that moire patterning is more likely, though in around 1000 shots (mainly landscape and buildings) I've not seen any moire and only had one image with purple fringing. It's certainly one of the best 'APS-C' DSLRs around, and in my view very intuitive to use.

Regarding older lenses, one of my favourites is my film-era FA24-90. It's not the most solidly built lens (and not water-resistant like the camera) but does give excellent image quality (slightly better than the DA17-70), if becoming soft past 70mm. I've also used the K5 with SMC-A 24mm and 50mm lenses, though I'm not convinced enough by any difference in image quality to have them on the camera more than very occasionally.

14. Shovelheadstroker77

Thanks for lens tip Stanovich - I think I am now settled on the K5iis being the one for me. I am setting myself a target of zero additional overall expenditure so selling things on ebay to get the funds together - cheapest body (including cashback offer) I can find is about £810( http://www.castlecameras.co.uk/pentax-k-5-iis-digital-slr-body - anyone kn0w of any cheaper options?) so only another £565 to save up! - I'll post a picci to announce it's arrival! -Stephen