1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K30 price crash!!!

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by JerryNash, Nov 1, 2012.

1. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

https://www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/Search/k30/

Seems Pentax have entered into the Christmas spirit early, you can now pick up a body-only K30 for £319 after cash back!!!! SRS are also having a Pentax open day this Saturday - might have to pop down and trade in the K7... Decisions, decisions...

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Holy Cr@p, Jerry, that's really inexpensive .... that retail is less than our (store) cost/net :eek: ... even with the battery :eek:. And, to me, the uber bonus is being able
    to use four(4) AA batteries ........ even if the Lithium-Ion battery isn't a powerful as
    the K-5/5ii battery

Cheers,

Jack

3. JerryNash

With that discount I'll happily shell out for the adapter - I just can't believe how much the price has dropped, its an absolute bargain.

4. Done_rundleCams

Hi Jerry,

The AA Adapter along with a set of Eneloops and a 4 pk of Energiser AA Lithiums ... who needs anything else :D

Cheers,

Jack

5. JerryNash

Well, I went down to SRS and had a play with the K5ii, Q10 and the K30 and I have to say, they were all very good. In the end I opted to trade in the K7 for the K30, and it'll only cost me £44 !!!

6. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Brilliant deal Jerry. At those prices it's very tempting...

7. Done_rundleCams

Woooooooooooooooo Dogggggggggggggggggggggies ... that's a screamer, Jerry :cool:.

Now, I wonder who I can find to buy my K-r along with my Tamron 100-250 lens, which a week and a half ago was an 18-250 :(.

Cheers and looking forward to seeing some pics :)

Jack Simpson

8. Done_rundleCams

Ooh, Zou, I daresay, it's past the point of being tempting ;).

Cheers,

Jack

9. JerryNash

Plus SRS gave me a free 16gb SDHC card and a fancy Pentax camera strap for free. I feel like I'm in profit overall!

10. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Effectively cheaper than the Q10. That's crazy cheap for such a capable camera.

11. JerryNash

I have the Tamron 18-250 too Jack, though it still covers all of its focal range, fortunately!

I'll post a pic or two as soon as I have the time, at the moment I have a new born son (also called Jack!) who, as well as being a handful, is just begging for some shallow DOF portrait shots! :)

12. Done_rundleCams

A cracking lens, Jerry, although after bringing out the DA50-135/2.8 to play with on the K-5ii .. I forgotten how good of a lens that is, as well :)

And, tremendous baby naming skills you and/or your Missus have :D

Looking for lots of DOF baby pics :)

Cheers,

Jack

13. JerryNash

Well, got my K30 delivered on Tuesday (SRS had sold out by the time I got to their opening day!) and i have to say i'm very impressed so far (and not just because it arrived a day ealrier than promised).

Initially i had to overcome the differences between the slightly lower build-quality and reduced number of external controls compared to the K7, but thats unsurprising considering the K7 is a higher-classed camera.

I can say that the autofocus is noticably faster than the K7, particularly in Live View (having installed the new firmware) which is now very useable, however AF is quite noisy - a fairly standard issue with Pentax. The metering/ auto-WB are very good (i never used auto-WB in the K7 as it was a bit iffy), i haven't needed to change to manual WB yet.

Handling-wise i'm not really missing the top-plate LCD of the K7, all the info i need is on the main screen and can be changed with minimal fuss. Obviously the camera is a little smaller than the K7, so not quite as comfortable to hold, but i'm glad to still have the dual control wheels, even if they are not quite as large/ pronounced as in the K7.

Overall though the build-quality is above that of its nearest competitors, having played about with the Canon 650D and the Nikon 5100 (I don't really want an articulated screen on a DSLR). Its a shame the K30 doesn't offer an additional battery grip. I was considering getting one for the K7 before i traded it in, this does make me wonder whether i might trade back up for a K5ii in a few years.

The most obvious improvement from the K7 is the low light performance. Photos seem to be clean of noise at ISO 800, i haven't needed to venture beyond that yet, but high ISO was always the K7's achilles heal, so this will make a massive difference.

I haven't explored much of the new features yet, but i'm VERY happy with my trade-in. :)

14. Done_rundleCams

Hi Jerry,

After having played with the K5ii for over a week and having used the Q for
    the past year, for the most part, I found the K5ii large(ish) ;) Having only
    played with/handled the K-30 whilst updating the firmware, it definitely feels
    different to the K5ii which, I imagine, is similar to your K-7/K-30 difference in
    handling. I guess, now, the only thing to do is to take a K-30 out for (at least)
    a day :D On the plus, part of K-30, Pentax Canada just announced a price drop
    on it -- the usual $80 -- which, in conjunction with a $40 rebate, makes it seem
    like someone might be getting a new fullsized DSLR :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

15. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I'm really not in the market for a new DSLR, despite my new lustings for an OM-D having tried one today. However... I did also get to try a K-30 today and was highly impressed. Feels much nicer in the hand than the K-5 (for me) and several leagues ahead of the K-r. Very well priced at the moment*, weatherproof, and the 18-135mm is a really nice complement to the camera.

*Less than half the price of the OM-D, but a LOT more than half the camera, if you know what I mean.

16. Done_rundleCams

I do know what you mean Zou :).

cheers,

Jack

17. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Wow, somebody understands me! :D

18. Done_rundleCams

I gotta Zou, I flog these things ;), albeit not the Olympus kit.

Cheers,

Jack

19. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Zou

if you do go for a K-5ii in a while, you should be really pleased with the high ISO low noise performance. I have a K-5 and still got the K-7 and whilst the two are similar in handling, the K-5 is heads above on image quality and faster AF too.

I have the battery grip, which fits both, but it does make the K-5 a really heavy beast to lug about.

20. Done_rundleCams

Heavy nothing David, just wait til you get your new Wildlife Lens .... then, maybe, you can say a tad heavy(ish) :)

Cheers,

Jack