1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Hopefully normal access will be restored though perhaps not until Monday.
    Dismiss Notice

K3 has done the double.

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Atavar, Aug 19, 2014.

1. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Just announced on Ricoh UK facebook page, the K3 has:

"...won the prestigious EISA award for: EUROPEAN ADVANCED DSLR CAMERA 2014-2015!
    The European Imaging and Sound Association (EISA) is the association of 50 special interest magazines from 20 European countries.
    This year the PENTAX K-3 has done outstandingly by winning both the TIPA BEST DSLR EXPERT camera and the EISA ADVANCED DSLR award which is rare for one camera!"

Well done Pentax, keep up the good work :)

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014
  2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

...As is only right and proper! :)

Just goes to show that maybe there is something in these awards thingies. :)

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, deserved praise indeed. I hope it boosts sales and makes Pentax more accepted by those who were, perhaps, a bit afraid to take the risk of moving away from the big boys.

There is also a pretty good line up of lenses now too. But they do need to make more with Silent Drive Motors to speed up the auto focus. It seems that the K-3 is faster potentially than most of the lenses.

Perhaps we will see more K fit lenses from Tamron and Sigma coming along at the same time as the Nikon and Canon mounts, instead of a few months later.

4. AlexMonro

I was in my local camera shop yesterday and heard a rumour that there's going to be a K mount version of the Tamron 16-300 soon. Or it might've been the 150-600. Anyway, a Tamron telezoom. Almost definitely. :)

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
  5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

That is good news, Alex, both of those lenses are crackers and easy to sell :) but just difficult to get in :eek: Hopefully, more than just a rumour ;)

Cheers,

jack

6. AlexMonro

Perhaps you should ask your Tamron rep when you get the chance, Jack - they might be a slightly more reliable source than my half forgotten eavesdroppings! :)

7. psj23

psj23 Well-Known Member

I just went back to a Pentax digital SLR after briefly exploring the world of mirrorless cameras, and don't regret it.
    I bought an el-cheapo DA-L 50-200mm weather-resistant lens and the image quality is excellent – maybe not on par with the Fuji equivalent, but costing 4x less. No complaints... Also, the Pentax SMC DA 50mm f1.8 (their version of the plastic fantastic) is a killer lens, optically speaking.
    Here's hoping that lots of people take notice of the K-3. It sounds like a stellar camera. There's also the less pricey options, for people like me: K-30, K-50, K-5ii, K-5iis, all of which 'deliver the goods'.

8. Done_rundleCams

Alex, I shall send an email to our Tamron distributor this week (Thurs or Friday) and will, hopefully, get a reply next week and will let you know what they say :)

Cheers,

Jack

9. AlexMonro

That'll be good to know - I don't think I dreamt it, but these days, nothing's too sure...! :)

10. Done_rundleCams

Twas a dream, Alex, cause the reality's a nightmare :eek:

My query:

The Response:

and, I'm guessing, so ends that dream :(

Jack

11. AlexMonro

Ah, well. Such is life.

However, on the off chance that this is a regional thing, I will try to remember to make further enquiries should an opportunity present itself.

12. Done_rundleCams

That would be cool if that occurred, Alex, as it would afford me the reason to visit the UK/Europe again :) Of course, I would have to get an adapter so I can use it in Canada :eek: ….

;)

Jack

13. Monobod

Perhaps now that Pentax is in the ascension, they may change their minds, just as did Jessops regarding selling Pentax kit. If it were a policy decision, market trends may influence them.

14. AlexMonro

I'm hoping that perhaps they're trying to keep it hush hush until a big announcement at Photokina!

15. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

That *could* be a bit of a red herring.

Pentax released an 18-270mm lens not so long ago that was a rebadged Tamron lens. While Tamron may not produce a 16-300mm for the K mount, they may well licence the design to Pentax who will produce their own version.

16. Done_rundleCams

Good point, Jerry, and that would be cool, if they came out a Pentax/Ricoh Imaging 16-300 and it would be, even better, if they came out with the same
    price or, pray to the deity of your choice, less expensive :D

Cheers,

Jack

17. Monobod

For my money, the favourite 'everyday' lens is the 17-70. Either the Sigma or the Pentax, the latter being f/4, so a tad slower.

I have had some doubts about the ultimate quality of images from the Sigma when fully open, but I also have no experience of the Pentax, which I understand is not much different in terms of images. Stopped down to f/4 and beyond the Sigma is pretty OK, so no point in changing. In fact that was confirmed by a Pentax rep at a recent open day.

I suppose the better choice is the Pentax 16-50 f/2.8, but this is a hefty price. In the end one gets what one pays for I suppose but careful use of aperture is a good policy with mid range lenses.

I'm not sure that a 16-300 would be able to perform that well. ???

18. AlexMonro

I have both the 16-50 DA* and the Sigma 17-70 2.8-4 DC Macro (bought when the 16-50 was having the AF motor repaired again - the final repair with the redesigned motor seems at last to have sorted it proper job). The 16-50 is certainly sharper, although possibly slightly worse for chromatic aberration / purple fringing on the K20D - I haven't used it much on the K3 yet (although I think the K3 has built in lens corrections for Pentax lenses when shooting JPEG.. I was lucky to get my 16-50 before the prices went up too much - downside is that it was also before they got the SDM AF to work reliably.

I think there is a newer version of the Sigma (I'm losing count of how many Sigma 17-70s that is in total! :)) which according to reviews is a bit sharper. The older Sigma has slightly better macro performance, going to 1:2.7, compared with 1:2.9 of the new "C" type Sigma or the 1:3.2 of the Pentax.

19. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

The Sigma isn't quite as good wide open but I had the need to use mine pretty near wide open a couple of weeks back and was quite impressed with how well it performed.

20. Monobod

Hi,

I think that the problem may be with individual variations. Possibly mine is not quite as good as some others of the type. I really need to do some sensible testing under controlled conditions.

I too have had some excellent results on occasions, but on others I have not been so sure. It is probably my error rather than the lens. Also possibly, I'm getting hyper critical these days, but at the two clubs I belong to I am up against D800E's with top glass and it does show.

Annoying, isn't it! ;)