1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K10 infra red conversion

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by frank1, Jul 8, 2013.

1. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Not having any success selling my camera I suddenly thought infra red conversion. As I've only just thought about it I haven't done any research into the feasibility of it. I'll You Tube it but I thought I'd ask on here as all info is welcome.

2. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

ACS list the istD so the K10 might be a possibility. The other lot that do conversions are Protech - they don't list Pentax but could be worth asking.

3. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Looking to do the conversion myself not saying I'd be successful. I seen a YouTube video on converting a Sony 100 Alpha. I have the camera but would have to buy another model A57 before considering a conversion. Checked the Tube on a Pentax conversion but found nothing. I also have a Pentax ist D but £250. If I had it it would go towards an A57.
    Still got some IR film and the cameras and filters so I can go either way. Just not wanting to spend money on a conversion though if I had it I'd consider it.
    Thanks for the reply all the same

4. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Frank,

Have a look at Life Pixel, they are in the USA.

If I remember correctly, they sell kits for DIY IR conversion.

They also list ways of testing is your camera is IR capable without conversion.

5. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Cheers looks interesting will have a look through in depth later on

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Frank,

This may (probably will) sound dumb, but can't you just buy one of the
    those Hoya R72 filters and get a similar effect? Granted, if you have buy
    the filters for a number of lenses, it could get a tad expensive :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

7. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Hi Jack,

With the R72 he'd probably have to use exposures lasting 10, 15, even 30secs depending how good his sensor is at picking up IR. Can also have problems focussing as you need to focus before putting on the R72.

If you have the camera converted, you can just do normal exposures.

8. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Fen,

Ah, that would make sense :) My only IR experience was way back in my Canon G2 days (2003/04) era when someone ordered a Hoya R72 filter, never picked it up and it fit my G2 and I took a couple of (Mono and Colour)shots during a lunch break and thought the results were kinda cool :) Much to the chagrin of IR aficionados I didn't do any different from my regular shooting style :eek: Then a friend saw the pics and came in and purchased the filter and did some breathtaking IR photos ......... properly ;).

Another friend has been talking about "the conversion" thing ever since he upgraded to a D200 from a D70 :) ...... he's now up to the D600 and D7100 and still talking about the conversion :D

Cheers and, BTW, what letters do you get to put at the end of your name now (i.e.: grad)?

Jack

9. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Hi Jack I do have the filter 72mm so step up rings which I have would not be a problem. I'm not sure whether I can set the K10 to shoot in mono as I can do with my K7. Must get on it and try it out.

10. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

The proper IR conversion works well on the Pentax K10D and K20D. There's one for sale in the Classified Ad section of the Pentax User forum, along with some examples that look very impressive. Ideally the R72 filter is mounted in front of the sensor instead of the low pass filter that normally blocks some IR light. The focusing needs adjusting depending on the lens. After that, the camera is used as per normal, with unimpeded TTL viewing and focusing.

11. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Jack asked a 'dumb' question but now I'll ask an even dumber one.

What are the benefits of using a camera converted to shoot IR compared to converting pictures to IR in Photoshop?

I too have a K10D gathering dust. Would like to put it to good use**

**using it as a door stop not acceptable....:D:D

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Converting in PS gives a feel of IR, but it's not really anything like the real thing. If you're happy with it, fair enough.
    I've got two converted DSLRs, an EOS 30D converted with an 830nm filter that produces B&W only, and a 450D with a 730nm filter that allows false colour work too. There are several other filter options, and it's also possible to have the low-pass filter replaced with effectively clear glass - you can then use an IR blocking filter (hot mirror filter) to take normal pics, and the IR filter of your choice to take IR pics. My personal view is that the 730nm conversion is the best and most forgiving - IR is quite unpredictable, and the 830nm conversion can make getting the exposure right quite difficult. If I went down that route again, it would be with a camera with Live View to make sure exposure was correct - it's common to get a horrifically narrow peak on the histogram. The results can be spectacular, but all too often they're not.

13. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Why would you shoot in mono? Shoot in RAW and do any mono conversion on the computer. That way you get all colour channels rather than just the one that would be recorded when set to mono

As Nick said, using Photoshop will just give you an impression of IR and sometimes it is so far away from what you would get with a IR camera that it boggles the mind. This is because Photoshop will be working with all the light wavelengths captured in the image rather than just the light over 720nm*.

With an IR converted camera you only capture the wavelengths over 720nm. Last night I uploaded some of my photographs taken with a converted Nikon D80 to my Flickr, I'll post a couple in the Exhibition Lounge for you to have a look at them. These are pretty much straight out of the camera, only adjustments are levels and cropping.

* Other wavelength filters are available, just using 720nm as an example.

14. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Just had a look. Wonderful pictures Fen.

15. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

It's worth mentioning that although Photoshop is fine up to a point, some cameras filter out quite a bit of IR light. Putting an IR filter on the lens doesn't help in this event as the IR light is reduced before it gets to the sensor. Apparently old Kodak 2MP cameras are the best for this technique. Many Canon cameras are amongst the worst. Pentax varies depending on model, but the *istDS seemed better than the K10D or K20D. So a converted camera is much better as you get the real thing.

16. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

So true... With an R72 filter my D30 produces a good result albeit a long exposures (5sec +) while the 20D is very weak and the 40D is utterly unable to record IR.

My best camera for IR is my Nikon D50 with the same filter it usually gives exposures of 1 second or less even at 200ISO - downside is it often records black as brown if the sun is out...

IR is one area I strongly recommend raw shooting. I have found that IR response varies considerably according to lighting and what you are shooting and settings that work for one condition may need quite radical adjustment for another. The basic in-camera settings for mono JPEG rarely if ever produce a usable result and lose far too much information for effective post captrue adjustment.

If you google 'Digital IR' there's plenty of stuff to read but I reckon Clive Haynes IR pages are well worth a good read.

17. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Fen I've only ever shot IR with film colour and mono. Preferring mono over colour so I've got a fixed idea that using a B/W setting on my camera is how I would like to go. Then seeing your images in the Gallery. It has to be said I may have to alter my perception. Yet I am left to think there are witches and there is their brew and I'm in the middle being stirred into the abyss.

18. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Even with my B&W only IR camera I always shoot in colour. Generally, it's helpful to have info from all 3 colour channels, but sometimes it's better to select just one channel to minimise or maximise noise, and because of the specific response of a particular channel. In other words, you have more room to fiddle.