1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-70

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by SXH, Jun 9, 2016.

1. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I see Ricoh are now listing the Pentax K-70 on the UK web site.

As are SRS.

Looks impressive. Wish I could afford one... :(

2. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Snap!

S

3. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Another nail in the value of my K-5......

4. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

No, the best value in the K5 is keeping hold of it. Great camera and will hold its own for some while yet. Best bang for the buck around imo, any camera, any manufacturer, old or new.

5. Monobod

Yes, I though of having it converted to infrared. I am unlikely to use it for normal photography again as I have the K-3 Prestige and now the K-1. I would add that the K-3 is amazing and I would recommend it without reservation. I still use it when I want the extra reach the crop factor gives me. I expected the K-1 to be much more expensive that it was, especially with the pre-order cashback offer. I just couldn't resist it. I was offered £320 Part Exchange for the K-5 with grip and a 17-70 siggy lens. Just didn't seem worth parting with it for so little. Living on bread and water for the next few months! ;)

6. Monobod

Had a quote to convert it to IR. £250+VAT (£300 total in England). I'm not sure why, but I thought it would be less than that. It will have to wait a while.

Has anyone else any experience of such conversions?

7. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

That's how much it costs. I had a Canon 30D converted to 830nm some years back, but bought a ready-converted camera for the same price when I wanted a 730nm one.

8. Monobod

What is the difference then? I am very new to this and totally ignorant of the issues.

9. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

720nm IR filters do allow a certain amount of visible light to pass - not much but it is there, I have 720nm Hoya filter and if one can can screen out any extraneous effectively light there's just enough visible light passing through to get an approximate composition. With an 830nm filter no visible light gets through at all and the image is entirely infrared generated. I've not used an 830nm filter but I understand that it produces a more intense IR effect.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

830nm filters only allow IR light to pass, and give a B&W image. 720/730nm filters can allow enough visible light to pass to allow false colour effects - 650nm is better for this.
    I also have an EOS M CSC camera converted to full spectrum use, which means I can just fit a filter and get what effect I like - less convenient for DSLRs, as you can't see through the viewfinder, but Live View really is your friend for IR work.

11. Monobod

Is the exposure just trial and error? I assume, rightly or wrongly, that the exposure metering is not effective?

12. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Yes and no. While the metering is not entirely accurate it does, as far as my 1000D is concerned (720nm convert), act reasonably consistently - enough to allow auto metering with an appropriate compensation setting. Exactly how much compensation is applied does depend to some extent in the amount of IR reflective material in the fame but I haven't found that it varies wildly.

I will say that I mostly use manual exposure via the normal TTL metering system. I haven't really tried to gauge how accurate the live veiw metering is but as the 1000D is a fairly early version of live view I'm not sure how reliable it is for metering. With a modern, pure live view camera like Nick's M I suspect the metering is possibly more consistent.

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

My 30D 830nm camera has extremely limited dynamic range, and exposure is very tricky. Doesn't have Live View, which doesn't help. With LV, exposure is normally pretty good, but you do sometimes need to dial in a lot more, or occasionally, a lot less. Yes, the EOS M is easiest. I tend to use aperture priority, but also manual.
    Other thing to watch is white balance - needs to be custom-set especially if you want to do false colour stuff.

14. Monobod

Very interesting. Perhaps I need a 'IR for Dummies' :)

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, the thread is in the Pentax folder and the title is K-70, but apart from the first three posts, it seems to all be about IR conversions.

I take it no one here is actually interested in the K-70?

16. Monobod

Sorry, these things tend to happen. My fault for commenting on the K-5 values. To get back on track, yes the K70 does look like a very interesting option. It has most of the worthwhile attributes at a sensible price. Not sure what the fall in the pound may do to that though?

Are you considering one?

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Had I the money, I might.

Though more likely to go for a K-S2. I have the S1 and like it with one or two caveats, which are fixed in the S2. Though with a bit of added weight.

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  18. Monobod

DP Revue give it the thumbs up. It has 20Mp, so that will allow you to crop in close for dpi or even A3 prints. I would say it was a worthy tool.

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As does ephotozine. Whose display of test shots I tend to prefer since DPR seem to have decided to make things awkward by using Flickr(?).

20. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Steve,

I picked up my K-50 because I wanted to go back to having a weather resistant body -- as opposed to my Kr -- and then I found out the
    KS-2 had the flip around LCD screen (YAY), was WR (YAY) but would only accept the Lithium Ion battery and would not accept the AA
    battery holder (BOOish), where as my K50 would :) So, now, the K70 comes out with WR (YAY), Flip around LCD screen (YAY), but,
    only uses the the Lithium Ion battery (BooIsh), but, at least, the same one as the Kr and K50 (big yay), but, then I have so many of the
    Lithium Ion batteries I should be OK plus they've improved the battery efficiency with K50 (over the Kr) I get much longer (battery) life :D

So now, for me, the only issue is that I have my K50 (16MP) w/ my DA50-135/2.8 as my Tele (ish) shooter and my Rioch GR (16MP) as
    my Wide Angle shooter ….. along comes the K-70 with 24MP :eek: ….. Decisions, Decisions, Decisions ????

But, like yourself, Steve, finances do play an integral role because, now, I'm only working 3 days a week, me thinks, a K-70 is not going
    to be a part of my near future.

As for IR, I played with an IR filter on my Canon G2 one afternoon way back in the summer of 2003 and one or two pics were neat :) but,
    in the long run, meh ;)

Cheers,

Jack