1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-50 review on Ephotozine ...

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

CLICK HERE

only thing missing, IMO, was a comparison to/with
    the K30 :)

Cheers,

Jack

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Nice to see a report that praises the Pentax. So many times I hear the opposite from those 'other make' users who do not know the system, but simply try to justify their personal choices. I suppose there were fears at one time that Pentax might slip slowly away into obscurity, which is less likely to happen to the 'big two', but this is now unlikely.

I had been hoping for a FF body, with perhaps something similar to the Nikon D600 specification, but really 16.2Mp from the K-5, with its exceptional sensor and low noise high ISO performance, I'm beginning to think it is not needed.

Even the complaints about a lack of top quality lenses is now addressed with the 'Limited' primes and we also have long telephotos available too.

Does anyone know if sales of Pentax kit is on the rise? It should be.

3. Done_rundleCams

I don't know about "on the rise" David but, I think/hope, they're holding steady :)

Sadly, I know my orders from PentaxRicoh have dropped ... although Q lenses are selling quite well :) I know, I noticed a significant drop in sales when Pentax (Canada) decided to raise the prices on all their lenses (quite significantly) a few years back :(

Cheers,

Jack

4. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, the cost of lenses is getting a bit ridiculous, but Pentax are not alone in this. Look at the Canon & Nikon line up! Takes my breath away. Even Pro photographers must fell the pinch, even with tax deductibles.

But when a bottle of shampoo is about £4.00 and a pint is about £3.00, what is a pound now but loose change. :(

5. Done_rundleCams

In the summer, we try keep the f/2.8 trios for Nikon and Canon and, whilst they don't fly off the shelves, they do go at a reasonable rate, to both locals and the occasional visitor, as well :) Also, the Nikon primes (35/1.8,50/1.8 and 40/2.8 Macro) sell quite nicely and, before the big price hike, the Pentax primes were always good sellers, as well, where as now, the DA35/2.4 has been the most frequent seller. As for Canon, the only real prime lens we've had luck with was, initially, the 50/1.8 and, more recently, the 40/2.8 STM

Mind you, just about an hour ago, an Aussie walked in with a Canon 50/1.8 that had 'simply' come apart :eek: He had a Canon 7D w/a Tokina 11-16 and a Canon 100-400 lens and so, naturally, I walked over and showed him a 50/1.8 lens ... and he liked the price ($115 CDN + 12%) and showed the 40/2.8 STM and, then, almost, as an afterthought, I showed him the Tamron 18-270/3.5-6.3 VC PZD lens and, at $200 less, the Tamron 18-200/3.5-6.3 lens .... just for a little versatility and a tad less lens changing. Hmmmm, he says ... "do ya want to pop it on your camera?" "Sure", says he. And, yep, he and his missus walk out with the lens, Protection filter and a pair of our "inexpensive" Cruise binoculars. The point being, regarding your loose change comment, that's what the $20 binoculars were ... 'ah, I forgot my bino's at home so, what the heck, $20 (+ 12%) is nothing ... :)

I, honestly, thought the 50mm was (almost) a given and, anything, else a bonus :)

Cheers,

Jack