1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-5 electronic level horizon

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Feb 26, 2013.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Hi,

I have had my Pentax K-5 for some while now and I must say I am very pleased with it. BUT there is one niggle. On mine the green bar horizon seen in the viewfinder is about two degrees out of kilter. It tells me to rotate the camera anti clockwise in order to see one blip on the scale, but the camera is obviously running down hill to the left and the images are also running off parallel.

I have sent it back to Pentax for repair and they sent it back saying there was nothing wrong with it, even though I attached sample images.

I can and do ignore it 99% of the time, but occasionally if taking a shot where there is no horizon in view it is needed.

Does anyone else have this problem?

2. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

I know nothing about it, but there was a previous thread here in 2011 regarding the same issue.

3. Gromit

Gromit RIP

I have noticed this problem being mentioned on other forums. For what it's worth I've just checked a MkII and the horizon appears to be correct.

Have you tried the latest firmware update?

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi David,

Is that still giving you grief :(. I just check the K-5 Firmware updates and, nothing for "horizon issues" but some fixes/improvements and allowances for other stuff .... and if you wanna take a gander at the upgrades, albeit from Pentax-Ricoh Canada.

CLICK HERE

Cheers,

Jack

5. Monobod

Thanks, it is worth a try, but I just think mine is 'off' and probably not much I can do about it. Perhaps buying a Nikon D800 might sovle it, but I need a lottery win for that one! :)

The last thread in 2011 was mine. Out of interest, I will check my K-7 and see if that is OK.

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

or, perhaps, stick to shooting verticals ;) Seriously, David, I've had/heard seen people with "level pic" issues from all the manufacturers :eek:

Cheers,

Jack

7. Monobod

Probably just too much technology......
    Never had it or needed it with my Z1-p. It just annoys me that it is wrong.

Academic really as it is ignored.