1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-3 Rip off

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by mike_lambert, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Oh! You're supposed to put it up to your eye, not up your nose! ;)

I know that margins are very low on camera bodies, so the working capital for businesses comes from accessories. If we want to keep suppliers who offer advice, over the counter hands on previews and returns service, then it has to be paid for.

All in all, we probably do OK in the long run.

2. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

;)

Not using it at all at that price. I paid less for the lens AND camera comined than the finder costs!

3. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

I paid £49.99 for the finder and it's a beautiful optical gem. It's as good as the old Voigtlander finders and they were, relatively speaking, far more expensive than the Pentax or Ricoh ones.

4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Where from, John? That price is perfectly reasonable. SRS list it at £199, which isn't.

5. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

From a branch of Jessops that closed a while back. We were in York (I think) and randomly called in and asked if they had one. The price was £49.99, which is probably less than they paid for it.

As I said, it's a gem, a jewel even. It could be used with any camera for a standard lens field of view, maybe with collectables

6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Ah, OK, thanks.

I'm sure it's great, and would happily pay the price you did, but would much rather buy the 06 for the sort of money it's otherwise going for.

Must say I love the 01 and 03 in particular on this little gem, a camera that certainly feels like a worthy spiritual successor to my much-loved Auto 110.

Sorry, all rather off-topic in a thread on K-3 pricing...

7. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

If price sare really such a ripoff how come that Jessops and Jacobs went bust and none of the big manufacturers seems in robust financia lhealth?

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Ask Olympus. Their troubles don't seem to have had too much to do with the profit margins on cameras and equipment. :(

9. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Possibly, the rise and rise in quality phone cameras has hit the compact camera market, where sales may have been brisker than for dslr's.

Should they 'Pile em high and sell em cheap' as Tesco once did when starting out? Would volume overcome small margins? I have no idea, but the high cost of accessories, whether justified or not, is putting me off buying much at the moment. I would need to have a very, very good reason for the need, rather than just the desire. Sad really, as we all love buying things and playing with new kit.:eek:

10. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

11. colindavis

colindavis Well-Known Member

Okay, they put it back up again:(

12. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

From two regular AP advertisers:
    Wex Price (body only) now down to £895
    Park £899

Just about within my price range now

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Well, FWIW, folks Ricoh-Imaging Canada just added a $41 rebate on the K-3, effective May 1st :) so, maybe, there'll be a rebate coming your way :D

And, truth be told, I was sure there would have been a price drop by now :eek:

Cheers,

Jack