1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-3 Rip off

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by mike_lambert, Dec 24, 2013.

1. mike_lambert

mike_lambert New Member

I love my K7, but its getting on and I feel I want to upgrade. The obvious choice is the K3. But when I compare the UK price -

£1099.99

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pentax-DSLR..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387892271&sr=8-1&keywords=k-3

To the USA price -

$1075.29

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-3-24..._1?ie=UTF8&qid=1387892290&sr=8-1&keywords=k-3

I feel someone is having a laugh. Approx £400 or 40% price difference? Surely this cant be down to taxes alone, so why the huge differential? Its really put me off buying a new Pentax.

2. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

It's market forces and taxes at work here. It' not just Pentax either, take a look at Canon, Nikon, Apple, Sony, etc., etc, price differences.

BTW - Welcome :cool:

3. mike_lambert

mike_lambert New Member

Market Forces = Gullible Consumers.

4. johnriley1uk

johnriley1uk Well-Known Member

This situation isn't anything new, it's been like this for decades.

If we import a K-3 then we'll find added import duty, handling charge and VAT on all of it, so there's less of a margin than you think. Also, if there's a fault then things get very inconvenient!

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

There's no use you complaining here, we already know. Write to your MP instead.

6. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Not exactly; the cost of doing business in the UK is exhorbitantly high; our energy prices, business rates, transport/distribution costs plus, don't forget, our huge 20% VAT. I can remember when VAT was 8%; it's now two-and-a-half-times that! Any caring government would be trying to cut taxes not significantly increase them, especially when times are hard.
    It's getting to the point where it could be cheaper to buy an airticket, fly to the States and buy items over there, rather than buying in the UK; surely not a good sign. I wonder if Scotland will become independent then cut its tax rates to encourage businesses to relocate North of the border?

7. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

Rip off Britain! And when you sell the camera you get next to nothing for it.

8. johnriley1uk

eBay prices for Pentax kit are actually pretty good, much better than next to nothing. Olympus are also quite strong.

9. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I had a request from a fellow in London for a K-3 and wondering how much it would be, including taxes, shipping and insurance :eek:. Sadly, we don't ship or, perhaps, luckily, cuz, I'm guessing, it woulda been more than the UK prices :eek: ... ;).

Cheers,

Jack

10. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

Hasn't the K-3 been out only a few weeks and understandably is still at its premium price?

I have been assuming a price reduction of about £100 soon in the new year followed by another one a few months later...

Happy New Year by the way

11. johnriley1uk

There was £100 extra trade in against a K-3, so you've missed the first reduction unless it gets extended. Check with a Pentax dealer just in case.

12. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Are prices the same in Europe? I'm sure VAT is not 20% everywhere in the EU. Would a European warrantee be honoured here? I' fed up with the prices we pay too. But it is even worse for the cost of accessories. Look, for example, at battery grips or the optical viewfinder for the Q7.....how on earth is that worth the money?

Bring back the box brownie. :D

13. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Similar, in general. Currency fluctiations and tax rates do make a little difference, but one of the things we pay for is far better consumer protection - no "bait and switch" here, for starters.

Yes. One of the advantages of the EU.

The Q optical viewfinder is indeed outrageous - as are several other bits of the system, but that's the worst offender. Eye watering!

14. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

US price = no taxes (they are added on afterwards) and very little consumer protection.

EU price = includes VAT, 2 year guarantee.

Yes, you pay more in the EU. More jurisdictions: more consumer protection, more job protection for people in the supply chain. Maybe you don't work in camera distribution but what's job security worth to you in whatever field you do work in?

Price differences are smaller than it appears.

Cheers,

R.

15. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Why is any price a rip-off?

This is what the manufacturer wants for this article, if you don't want to pay that price, don't buy it. It's not as if they are trying to con people into buying a cheap copy made to look like the real thing - that would be a rip-off. They aren't a charity, they are in business to make money.

God, I'm starting to sound like Thatcher.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  16. Eye Robot

Eye Robot Well-Known Member

K3 body only price has already dropped to £1029 from one regular AP advertiser and £1039 at another.
    I'm hopeful of more to come off

17. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

When it comes to consumer toys, you are absolutely right. But if you want an example of a rip-off:

From http://www.amateurphotographer.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?113052-No "....and, at a much less serious level, while playing in Boston, MA, I cut my finger. Had to go to the local A&E. Five stitches and an anti-tet booster. Bill for my travel insurance company: $1900." (PhotoEcosse)

Frances's sister is a doctor (GP) in the United States and she has an even lower opinion of American medicine than I do.

Cheers,

R.

18. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I'm sure that in a year or so's time the K3 body only street price will be around £600, if it follows the trend set by every other top of the range Pentax DSLR since the K10D.

19. johnriley1uk

Prices do drop, but there's a balance between waiting for ever and not actually enjoying anything new, or maybe just waiting for the initial rush to die down so there's at least some easing of prices. Then just buy and don't worry about price any more, it's bought at that point.

Whatever enjoyment we have in the months following will be well worth whatever it has cost. Others may still be waiting.....

20. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Then you're using it wrong ! :)