1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-3 prestige edition

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Apparently the K-3 Jack.

2. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

I was just testing everyone, David and, so far, you're the only one who
    has passed :rolleyes:.

;)

Jack

3. Monobod

Hello Jack,

I'm having doubts again about the K-3. Test reports say it is noisier than my K-5 with noise showing at 400 ISO. Not what I wanted to hear at all. Noise is one of my pet hates. hence my longing for a full frame Pentax DSLR.

This has come to the fore, because my GXR A12 33mm prime module is very good in the no noise department. You know also it is hard to tell at A3 print size that it is only 12Mp. Do I really need more than the 16Mp of the K-5 if the noise is an issue? I am really getting the wobbles over this. It is a lot of money if it tuns out to be a problem.

Then I think to myself, it has won best DSLR expert camera, so is noise an issue, or just another Lab scare that isn't really there?

I'm thinking of writing to Majorie Proops, except she is dead, bless her......:)

I cannot jump ship to the Nikon D610, even less to the D810, just too much dosh needed, so it is a quandry for sure.

Confused of Norfolk!

4. Monobod

Well, I have just read the review in AP. Unlike other reviews, they say the noise is well controlled and not an issue until above 800 ISO. They also say at lower settings the images are amongst the best they have seen from a DSLR.

Re-assured again...whew, this is a good way to lose weight! :eek:

5. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I have a very good photographer friend who went for the K3 and was disappointed by the noise vs the K5 so went back to the K5. Others don't notice much differenece or say that noise is compensated by the extra pixels. I think you need to try before buying. I have a K5, it produces very good images indeed and it still works so I don't see the need to change yet.

6. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

I would recommend every time a review worries you on the noise front, go back to those DNGs you downloaded and reappraise them. A review is just someone else's opinion and it is you who personally will be playing with the machine, not them, they will move on to the next camera to review and will not live with what they have written, they will, basically, not give it the time so see if it actually matters. For instance, the noise level in a 24mp image resized to forum display or print size will not be as noticeable as the same level of noise in a 16mp image resized to the same dimensions...

Check this comparison out:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-3/16

On the comparison selector, choose the K5 alongside the K3, and any other cameras you wish (I went Nikon D300s as I used to have one and he D7000 which goes mad over 6400...), then after looking at the sample pics look at the Graph.

Very important to check that graph option. Might reassure you, especially with ISO NR off :)

7. Monobod

Thanks Avatar,

Yes, I had read this before, but it is good to be reminded. From the RAW graphs K-3 to K-5, there is virtually no difference in noise up to and including ISO 1600. Noise levels at 800 are pretty much OK.

I seldom use anything higher, preferring to use a tripod and a slower shutter speed.

Jpegs are not as good as RAW but I do not use jpeg's out of the camera, so that is not an issue. I go from RAW to psd for printing then to projection jpegs.

With the advantage of the higher pixel count, that would suggest that using ACR noise reduction would give a slightly better result for the K-3.

This is what I would have expected TBH.

8. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've never used any of the K5 models, or any other camera with the Somy 16MPxl sensor, but compared with the K20D, the K3 is significantly better for noise, having, in my opinion, when viewed at 100%, slightly less noise at ISO 800 than the K20D has at ISO 400. I would have no worries about making poster sized prints from the K3 at ISO 800, and probably at ISO 1600 with a touch of noise reduction processing.

Generally though I use lower ISOs, but it's nice to have the option if I need it.

9. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Sorry for the delay I've been away on holiday ;)

Anyway it was my K3 Jack and SRS replaced it for me FOC due to the length of time Pentax UK were taking to repair/fix. My new version is awesome... ;)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 20, 2014
  10. Monobod

Excellent image.