1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-3 prestige edition

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Jul 24, 2014.

1. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

If you're cropping to the same number of pixels with the K3 compared with the K5, you're obviously not going to get the MTF benefit I mentioned, in fact that will be more demanding of lenses - probably still better than using a teleconverter to get the same effect though (and you get more control over the framing in post! :)

As to AF tracking, I haven't had much opportunity to try that yet. I believe someone (Atavar?) gave some useful comments a few weeks ago about how the K3 compared with a high end Nikon - I think his conclusion was that while the K3 has Pentax's best ever tracking AF, it's not quite up to the best Nikon can do - which is about what I'd expect. Other reports I've seen suggest that tracking AF performance of the K3 depends quite a lot on which lens you use. See, for example, DPreview's comments here: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/pentax-k-3/8

So this all probably muddies the waters for you rather than clarifying your decision - as I understand more about what you want to do, it's clearly different to my own requirements (mostly landscapes, occasional wildlife when it shows up), so your benefits from the K3 aren't as clear cut as mine. However, my overall gut feeling, FWIW, is that the K3 will give not quite as good performance for what you want as the D810, but for rather less money, and should be better than the K5. Exactly how much better is hard to say, but it should give you a lot more options, e.g. cropping.

2. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Yes, my photography is a bit of a mixed bunch, varying from street to landscapes/seascapes to a bit of portrait work (not much) and some macro with a fair share of architectural thrown in for good measure.

I now have the GXR and the Novoflex Pentax adapter, which is great for the street stuff and I think the K-3 will offer benefits in metering accuracy and general autofocus performance for the rest, so it will be a step up for me for sure.

We have dropped into the habit of visiting the Lake District each year in December, where we have found a good value hotel. The scenery is wonderful but the light can be very challenging too, so this is where I hope to gain a better result from the K-3's better meter.

As I mentioned before, the main worry was noise, which is why a FF sensor has been such a goal, but it comes at a price, which has to be weighed with other commitments. One day there may be a Ricoh/Pentax FF and if so, I may well upgrade again, but for now I think the K-3 is the way to go.

Thanks.

PS, still have to check out the DNG/PEF downloads from the review I mentioned.

3. Monobod

For this of you like me, trying to decide, here is the link:

http://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-k-3-review/sample-photos.html

I am very happy to say that having downloaded several images ranging from ISO 100 to 3200, I am pleased with what I see. There is some noise above 800 but it can be controlled in ACR 8.4 and even at 3200 it is not unpleasant.

That is a relief to be sure. Such a help being able to download real files for comparison, rather than looking at reduced jpegs. :)

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: MonoBod // K-3 prestige edition

Hi M_B,

I would have to agree with Atavar, not I have a K-3, but, in the fact, that I've sold about 8 K-3s and have yet to agree anything negative back about it and that's just to local people, as well :)

Also, I've just put an order in for my first K-3 Pres tiggy camera ;) and, a few of his mates have the K-3 and are on the wee FB page, for a small portion of BC just outside Vancouver, and, again, not a thing in the way of negative feedback :)

Also, just as a point, when you receive your K-3 Pres tiggy camera, you do realise that your are going to have to change to your "AP Handle" to "DuoBod" :D

Cheers,

Jack

5. Monobod

I have heard that of the 2000 to be made, only 1000 are coming to Europe and of those only 100 to the UK.

Pretty pleased that I acted when I did, as I suspect the other 99 may go pretty quickly.

If I have understood you, it is good to hear that you are going for one too Jack and that you have not heard anything bad about it. Most reassuring. I'm sure that you will be as pleased with it as I expect to be with mine.

'Duobod' only if I keep the K-5, which I probably will for a bit.

Cheers,

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  6. Monobod

Jack,

Have you ordered one for yourself of for a customer? I'm not sure which.

7. cgproudfoot

cgproudfoot Well-Known Member

That will be no more than 98 in the UK now. The prestige edition has been the straw that broke the back for my upgrade from K7! As with previous advice will keep the K7 to post a picture!

8. Monobod

Congratulations. Let's hope they come a bit earlier than expected.....:)

9. Done_rundleCams

Hi M_B ….. for the moment ;)

For a customer :) I'm still wondering about about a K-50 upgrade from my K-r, I just have something about the 4AA battery capability :p. Must be a throwback to always having a manual mechanical body back in the film days ;)

Cheers,

Jack

10. Done_rundleCams

Well done Mr. Proudfoot :) …. looking forward to seeing some pics of, at least, the camera from you both :D

Cheers,

Jack

11. Monobod

The K-5 eats six AA's at a time. Just buy three packs of four, put six in the camera and six in your rucksack as spares......:) The K-50 looks like a stunner to me, same sensor I suppose as the K-5? Water resistant and excellent value.

12. Done_rundleCams

Afternoon M_B,

Re: AA batteries; the AA batteries that will see the insides of any my gear will
    be Energiser AA Lithiums and/or Eneloops (or, perhaps, the Sony Eneloops equivalent) :) Purchasing any other batteries is, IMO, a waste of money and unnecessary additional weight :) Of course, back in my film days, it was exactly that "bags of AA's" ;)

Like you, I guess, I'm looking for a hopeful candidate for my K-r and see if I can pick up a rep's K-50's demo or something similar …. one good reason to be in the biz, on occasion ;)

And there's a customer of mine, in a similar boat … trying to flog his K-5 now, as he has his K-3, albeit the boring normal edition :D

Cheers and have a great weekend :)

Jack

13. Monobod

Is the normal K-3 boring? :D or just by comparison. One thing that bothers me slightly, is the LE version may be a tea-leafs delight. I will probably have to keep a close eye on it.

14. Done_rundleCams

Hi M_B,

Like I tell's me customers and, try to remember myself :p, just use common sense and the thieves shan't nick your goodies :) My last laptop got nicked when I was at Starbucks, I put it down with my jacket and went to get my fixings for my coffee and, literally, 120 seconds later …. it was gone :(. Now, I always keep my kit with me where I go ….. if by myself ;)

Cheers,

Jack

15. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

Hi David,

You won't regret getting the K3. I upgraded from the K5 to the K3 and there are some slight changes (more modes, etc) but overall I've been very pleased with mine. I had a slight issue with focusing with my initial body by SRS have kindly changed mine over. I haven't encountered the flapping mirror that others have reported.

You will see a little extra noise, but that's easily dealt with. Image quality and having so many mega pixels to play with is excellent.

Here's a quick shot from the weekend on my K3 with a Tamron 90mm.

[​IMG]

Enjoy. I look forward to seeing your images from your K3... :)

16. Done_rundleCams

Wow, great shot Gary :)

Cheers,

Jack

17. Monobod

Beats my box brownie! :D What was the focus issue? It may not be so easy to change the gun metal one, so would probably end up as a repair?

18. GDN

GDN Well-Known Member

I had a really random focus issue where the camera would indicate it was focused but wouldn't actually shoot. It was impossible to replicate - it happened on different lens and at different times. Some days never at all, other days two or three times.

SRS & Pentax said that they hadn't seen such an issue before and they took the body in for repair. Unfortunately it took a bit too long to repair and I ended up with a new body instead... :)

19. Monobod

Yes, that is a strange one........

20. Done_rundleCams

OOC, Gary, which camera was that and what replaced it?

Cheers,

Jack