1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Dear Guest,

Apologies for the issues that you may be experiencing with the AP forum. While not ideal, it is reported that access can be gained by using Internet Explorer or MS Edge browsers. Normal access will be restored as soon as is possible.
    Dismiss Notice

K-3 prestige edition

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  2. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

4. Monobod

Don't paint the glass bit though!

5. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Ah... On the front or the back...?

6. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Probably best to avoid all the glass bits, just to be on the safe side...

7. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Avoid the glass on the front, the back, and on its safe side too... got it ;) I'm beginning to think this plan is not going to pan out...

Speaking seriously, though, I would really​ like this colour camera :)

8. AlexMonro

I seem to remember that Canon made a bridge camera in this colour a few years ago. Powershot S5 or some such?

9. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

would a P30t be too light a shade of grey?

10. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Mmmm, not sure, but I know my P30n is totally the wrong shade of black ;)

11. Monobod

Well, I went to the Summer Day at WEX this morning and the place was a buzz with activity. The car park was full and there were queues at the checkouts. Obviously the economy seems to be on the mend.

Pentax had a sizable display with a Rep from the Company in attendance. Good to see and about time. We had quite a long chat about the Ricoh input, which seems to have given Pentax the money needed to develop the cameras that Hoya would/could not. Hence the K-3 and the Medium Format model upgrade, as well as the special editions.

I had my first 'hands on' with the K-3 and I must admit I was very taken with it. In comparison to the D810, it is smaller, lighter, cheaper and more ergonomic for me as a Pentax user (The Green Button!) and the video switch all to hand.

Well, to cut to the mustard, I have today placed a pre-order for the K-3 Prestige model, which should be delivered early September, just in time for my Birthday hopefully. It comes with a matching Gun Metal battery grip and two batteries.

Just have to be patient now........what!

What to do with the K-5, that is the question?

12. AlexMonro

Yes, I think the tie up with Ricoh (who remember have been making cameras since the 1930s, nearly as long as Asahi Optical, including several innovative and well regarded models over the years) is the best thing that's happened to Pentax for quite a while.

Either keep it as a 2nd body (backup, to save having to change lenses in the middle of a action shoot, etc.) or flog it quick while it's still worth something.

I've decided to hang on to my K20D, partly because it's not worth very much 2nd hand now, and also I'm finding a bit of a learning curve migrating to the K3 - too many controls have moved, or work differently, so I'm still using it for shoots where I don't have time to mess around. You'll probably have less trouble making the smaller leap from the K5 - I believe most of the controls are in the same places and work the same way.

The K3 is an awesome camera though (whatever colour! :)) - prepare to be impressed! :)

13. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

You do realise, M_B, that you're not allowed to take pictures with K-3 Prestige :eek: but only allowed to take pictures of it …. just so you know what to do with your K-5 :)

Sincerely,

Jack Simpson

14. Monobod

Hello Jack,

Oooh, I didn't realise that, does it not have a hole in the front then? :D

Joking apart, I know it is a stack of dosh, but I'm really not getting any younger and my photography days could be curtailed by some medical drama, something we olden's have to live with. So I thought better now than possibly never.

Will it improve my photography? Probably not, but it may make the good ones a bit better when I do get it right. I have been doing OK just of late though, picking up several awards from my two clubs and I made a sale at one of the exhibitions.

Good fun innit! :D

Have you had any joy with your Q? I was looking at the Q7's this morning, they really are dinky and very tempting to play with, even smaller than the GRX.

I have been offered £250 for the K-5 and £60 for the grip in Part Exchange, but at that price it is better to keep it as a spare or backup as you suggest. Oh how this stuff loses value..........

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  15. Monobod

Alarm bells are ringing....

Have you seen the many reports on the Pentaxforum web site about the flapping mirror and lock up problems the K-3 seems to be having?

I will wait to see if Ricoh/Pentax have a fix for this, but it looks alarming! Mostly kicks in during time lapse shooting it seems.

Also, I am a little concerned by the report in their very comprehensive review that noise cuts in sooner than on the K-5, even showing at 400 ISO. I suppose I should have expected that with the APS-C format, but it is not looking good.

Also, not to be unexpected, the increased image quality needs top notch lenses to be fully utilized. How will my otherwise very nice film lenses perform? They are great on the K-5, but if I need to re-invest in limited lenses, I might as well consider Nikon.

In view of these doubts, I may well reconsider my options and cancel the order for the K-3. Noise is something I really do not like and it is bad enough on the K-5.

The reality is that a good FF will not have this problem, so do I wait for a Pentax FF, which may never come, or save many more pennies for a D810?

I'm confused again and a bit worried.........:confused:

16. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Please do not be worried. I've had the K3 since launch and have never had an insurance of flappy mirror syndrome. I admit I have not used time lapse, and probably never will as I have no reason to use it, but it's nice to know it's there if I want to experiment and if I have any issues I'm prepared as I have read a lot about this too. Firmware update 1.10 did address this, which the Prestige comes loaded with from the factory.

In regard to noise, it's way better than my old D300s which itself was no slouch, probably matching the D700 or maybe even bettering it. For a full frame camera I would have gone for for its noise handling to be matched by an APS-C today? All I can say is it more than meets my needs :)

Perhaps go to a shop with a K3 and grab some test shots in your own memory card for appraisal on screen at home. Shoot either DNG or turn Noise Reduction off or better set custom limits - the K3 had veeery aggressive high ISO suppression which kicks in in unexpectedly low, ISO 400. My settings for jpegs are 100-1600, off / 3200 - 6400, low / 12,800 - 25,600, medium / 51200 high. You may find the noise suppression effects your critical sharpness otherwise, it doesn't need to be that over the top but I suppose it's to ensure newcomers get what they see to be acceptable pictures :)

There is a certain digital photography review site where in their review of the camera you can set other cameras to see the effect of noise right next to each other and also differing noise reduction strengths. Have a look, i'd say there is next to nothing in it save for pixel peeping :)

17. AlexMonro

Remember, the K3 has 1/2 as many again pixels as the K5. If you pixel peep at 100%, you're more likely to see noise. If you make prints of the whole frame to the same size as you did before, it's less of a problem.

I'm certainly seeing noise coming in at about two stops higher ISO with the K3 that I did on the K20D, so now I can even consider high ISO to be a usable option for low light. (And in case I haven't said it enough already, the low light autofocus of the K3 is awesome!:) )

18. Monobod

Hi,

Thanks for the reassurance. Reading reviews and looking at test results which, for web use, have been reduced to 1600 pixels in jpeg is not going to show them at their best.

The pentaxforum review has several DNG and PEF images at various ISO levels which I can download, so I can then assess them properly.

I'm probably panicking a bit because I had trouble with my K-5 where the sensor was certainly out of line with the electronic level and despite being returned for repair, it was never properly addressed. I now ignore it and correct the raw file with the level tool in ACR when needed.

I am sure that the flapping mirror problem can only be firmware and will be sorted even if it has not been so already.

I'm also sure that even Nikon must have Gremlins too and it would be a shame to give up the Pentax unique mode controls and settings. :eek:

Lenses? Well the Sigma 10-20 should be OK. So should the Pentax 70-210 f/4 one touch zoom and the 28-105 f/4-5.6 Power Zoom, which were both superb on film. Maybe the Sigma 17-70 will be a bit iffy, time will tell.

Thanks again, plans to cancel the order are on hold.....:)

19. AlexMonro

I forgot to address your concerns about lenses in my last post.

According to one of Prof Newman's pieces in AP two or three years ago, MTF theory suggests that since the overall MTF (a measure of resolution) of a system is effectively the product of the MTF of each component of the system, any lens you put on a camera with a higher pixel count will get a boost in the resolution of the final print.

Again, it's important to consider the big picture overall, not pixel peeping.

Also, I had a look at the DXOmark tests of the K5 & K3 (http://www.dxomark.com/Cameras/Compare/Side-by-side/Pentax-K-3-versus-Pentax-K5___914_676). Their figures (which are based on full images, not pixel peeping) seem to suggest that the K3 gives pretty much identical results to the K5 up until ISO 1600 for most parameters (SNR, Tonal Range, and Colour Sensitivity) although Dynamic range is slightly less.

You won't see as dramatic an improvement as I have coming from the K20D, but I don't think you'll see things getting worse, either.

All camera manufacturers have gremlins - Nikon had a famous one with oil spots on the sensor of the D610 IIRC, Canon had some AF issues with one of the 1D series, and I personally have experienced Pentax's issues with the SDM AF motor in the 16-50 DA* (now thankfully fully resolved by a redesign).

20. Monobod

Thanks,

One of the advantages of higher resolution is the ability to crop tighter and still get a usable image. At least 50% of my club competition work is digital projection. One club has a projector with 1920x1080 and the other with 1400x1050, so I quite often set up a crop frame that matches this resolution and then move the image into position before cropping it (CS6). This gives me a digital image, say of a bird in flight, that fits the projector without any interpolation. This takes advantage of the cameras highest resolution and it gives excellent results.

Basically, the K-3 will allow tighter crops in this respect. Of course the D810 would be even better and the focus tracking would be too, but at a heavy price tag. I do want to continue to eat as well as take photos! ;)

Thanks also for the link.