1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-3 Firmware update

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Done_rundleCams, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Thanks, Jack. I'll download & install that - looks like some things worth having.

However, anyone know what "Diffraction Correction" actually does? My understanding is that it manifests itself as an overall softness at very small apertures, so is this just increased sharpening at small apertures? Or is there more to it?

Not sure it's quite as useful as faster colour fringe correction, improved white balance stability (?), or improved general stability though. ISO bracketing in TAV mode certainly makes sense.

3. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Wonder if this is anything to do with the sudden spate of scare stories all over the interweb, especially stateside, about erratic behaviour by the K3 mirror?

Pentax initially said it was unaware there was a problem then advised returning for a fix: could that fix be in the latest firmware?

4. frank1

frank1 Well-Known Member

Thanks Jack I don't have a K-3 but I do have a K-7 and there's a firmware update for that.

5. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Re: K-3 Firmware update -- DIFFRACTION CORRECTION ..

For the "Diffraction Correction", there is a PDF of how it works but, unfortunately, on our Mac it requires some kind of "Japanese Font Pack" for/from Adobe … but I don't wanna do it :eek:

the email I received:

For what all that, above, is worth :)

Jack

6. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

Does it write the words in noodles?

First I have heard about the mirror misbehaving on the K-3. There is always something to worry about. I don't have such problems with my Kodak Box Brownie.

7. AlexMonro

I looked at the PDF linked to from the page you linked above, but basically all that shows are the menus you go through to turn the Diffraction Correction on. It doesn't say anything about what it does, or why you might want to. I just wondered if anyone had a clearer idea?

Maybe I should try it and see for myself, and report back... :)

8. Monobod

9. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Ah, a new pleasure! I skipped the last update as it was just for the new teleconverter compatibility, and as I did not have one did not find much point in it. Diffraction correction, even if it is just sharpening, sounds like a wonderful feature, especially as with higher pixel counts it makes itself a little more obvious a little sooner than it used to :eek:

Does this mean I will need to activate the lens correction system now? Usually turn it off...

10. AlexMonro

My understanding of the Pentax website PDF is that Diffraction correction is another option added to the Lens correction menu, along with the existing options Distortion Correction, Lateral Chromatic Aberration Adjustment, and Peripheral Illumination Correction, and you can select all those options individually. Probably enabling any of the options would significantly increase in camera post post processing time, though.

11. Monobod

Wouldn't it be nice if they just got the lenses better in the first place, especially for Chromatic aberrations. But I suppose then they would be more expensive, probably cheaper to do it via software. At least it can be done, one way or t'other.

I assume this is mostly for the zooms. With the primes it should be easier to design out the gremlins I would have thought.

GXR + A12 Mount + Novoflex + Pentax lenses is continuing to delight me. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  12. Atavar

Atavar Well-Known Member

Have downloaded and updated, indeed there is an extra option in the lens correction menu which will counteract the softening of diffraction.

Not only would it be more expensive, some types of camera just could not exist without it :) No more superzooms, no more compact telezooms... No more CSC's.

Take a look at this link: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/5653763779/a-distorted-view-in-camera-distortion-correction

And we wondered why they never bought out an optical viewfinder mirrorbox CSC? Because the image we see through the EVF or Live View is a corrected simulation of what's falling on the sensor ;) none of its real... But then it never was, even with film.

13. Monobod

Interesting article. Also interesting that Adobe has developed DNG to contain the correction information from the manufacturer, so Pentax may be one up here by adding DNG to the file type option.

Silkypix may be needed for the native file format, as I do not think it is supported in ACR. However, I use DNG for my files and am completely happy with it.

Thanks, I had not realised that my Oly E-500 probably was using sorftare correction in camera. I wonder what the GXR does? Possibly for the A10 24-72 zoom, but not for the A12 50mm prime or the Leica Mount.....Hmm.