1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-1 in the bag

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Monobod, May 3, 2016.

1. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I had this along with the grip on pre order from a well known retailer local to me. I was a bit confused as a friend had taken delivery of his camera from them last week and I had not heard a dicky bird. So I phoned them. Yes, they had the camera but were waiting for the grip. When will that be I asked. No idea, sorry was the reply. Can I have the camera today and you send the grip whenever I asked. No sorry they are not listed on our system as two orders, so we cannot let you have the camera. We can check with management if they will allow this and call you back.

Before calling them, I has spoken to SRS. They were processing the weekend's orders and agreed to phone me within the hour to let me know if they had one I could buy. I got the call and yes they had one with my name on it that they could ship to me today for tomorrow and the grip would follow asap. Needless to say , I confirmed the order. I also saw on the SRS website that, as Pro dealer, they offer 2 years warrantee.

At this time I had not heard from the well known dealer, so I rang them to cancel the order. It just goes to show how a small glitch in the way the order system works can lead to a failed sale. A short while later I got an Email saying that 'management' had agreed to release the camera. Sadly, just a wee bit too late.

Anyway, the camera will be here tomorrow, in time for me to take it with me to Bath in a couple of weeks time. Hopefully the sun may be out. I'll let you know what I think of it shortly, but it does look promising.

2. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Watford for me every time, great customer service.

Zou likes this.
  3. Monobod

Well it has arrived. I have added the strap and inserted the battery. Set up the usual time, date and other stuff and now it is ready to be used. First impressions are that it is very well made, solid as a rock and less heavy or bulky than I had expected. It is hardly much bigger than the K-3, but I haven't got the battery grip on, so that will add weight of course. The viewfinder is a mixture of optical and electronics for the grid and focus points. it works well as it is possible to use the new top control wheel to turn this on and off. Neat control system that. The pull out screen is a real boon, especially when the camera may be on a tripod and pointing skywards, or used low down. I have put the Pentax 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 power zoom on and autofocus is really quick.

4. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Just read the ePhotozine review - very favourable...

5. Monobod

I am really amazed that so much camera can be offered for such a competitive price. I know it is still a lot to pay, but I really do think that the combination of this along with my K-3 will see me out now. I have the Ricoh GXR for trips out and an everyday walkabout, the K-3 for additional reach with the lenses and almost 9 fps and the K-1 for the really important images. I will be interested to see what the output is from the pixel shift when it comes to landscapes. All we need now is for the weather to improve. It is not too bad at the moment here, but it is still quite chilly in the evenings.

6. Monobod

Good to see your Flickr site.

7. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

Congratulations. I agree it's a very tempting price.

8. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Thanks David.

Some cracking stuff on yours too, especially the railway stuff.:)

9. Monobod

Thanks. I have uploaded some test shots from the K-1 with my SMC f/1.7 50mm lens, which is about 16 years old. They look pretty good.

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Certainly do! I'm very impressed with both the K-1 and the lens. The 100% is excellent.

S

11. Monobod

Next test will be with the FA 28-105 f/3.5-5.6 power zoom from the film era. If that is OK, it will save a lot of cash being spent on the D-FA version.

12. Monobod

The grip arrived yesterday. It does add to the weight of course, but it also makes the camera a bit easier to handle, with something other than the lens to hold in the left hand. The obvious advantage is when the camera is in portrait orientation. I think I may have mentioned before that there is a considerable difference in the short focal distance compared to my K-3. This is both a benefit as well as a trip hazard. Making the aperture selection more important as well as getting the focus on the bit that matters. Miss that and the image may suffer. It does make one consider what one is doing a bit more. :) Point and shoot it is not!

13. Monobod

I have now posted six images on Flickr, showing the performance of the SMC Pentax FA 28-105 power zoom f/3.5-5.6. I think these are good enough for me not to need to purchase the D-FA version. That has saved me £550 for the time being. :)

These were all hand held with shake on.

Last edited: May 17, 2016
  14. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

Looks like it works OK, now it's time to get out there...;)

15. Monobod

Yes indeed. :)

16. nass

nass Member

I do envy you fellows with your K1s:). Maybe some day...