1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

K-01 discontinued

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Alex1994, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

According to Pentax Japan's website.

With no replacement announced, does this mean it was a flop? I rather liked the fact that it looked a bit different, even though the handling wasn't supposed to be too good. :)

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A wee while back they stated it was only ever going to be a one-off. No way of knowing if that was just talk though.

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Bet that means the tasteful yellow Lego one will become a collectors item.:D

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Alex,

I have to admit that when the huge price drop came around I was interested but,
    I came to the realisation that I could purchase a K-01 or purchase the "K to Q Adapter" and, liking my Q so much ....
    ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a bad sign for Hasselblad. :rolleyes:

This product had a bling factor which seems to have not worked. :p

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:D

Indeed, P_S, although, I don't know if I would use the word "bling" but, truth be told, I don't know what term I would use to describe the K-01 other than, perhaps, "well, they tried" and/or "a nice addition to Marc Newsome's retirement package ;)

Cheers and "late night" or "early morning" :)

Jack

7. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I think the lack of an electronic clip on viewfinder sealed its fate.

8. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Amongst many other things!!!

Large, unergonomic and unattractive (to most people) design were more likely the key reasons. It was basically a K5 with all the best bits removed (and only focus-peaking added).

I never had a chance to handle one so can't really say what it was like in use, but it was never really going to re-invent the market or tempt existing Pentax or new customers away from a DSLR. I think they just misunderstood the CSC market - even the Q is mostly seen as a novelty item... one i wouldn't say no to, admittedly!

9. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I could never quite see the reason for it, other than the use of existing K mount lenses. But the whole point of mirrorless is small, or am I missing something?

Never mind, good to see that they (Pentax) are still having original thinking, even if it backfires sometimes.

I just hope that they don't go qwerky with a FF body. That would be a disaster.