1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. REMINDER

Any content, information, or advice found on social media platforms and the wider Internet, including forums such as AP, should NOT be acted upon unless checked against a reliable, authoritative source, and re-checked, particularly where personal health is at stake. Seek professional advice/confirmation before acting on such at all times.

K-01 discontinued

Discussion in 'Pentax Chat' started by Alex1994, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

According to Pentax Japan's website.

With no replacement announced, does this mean it was a flop? I rather liked the fact that it looked a bit different, even though the handling wasn't supposed to be too good. :)

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

A wee while back they stated it was only ever going to be a one-off. No way of knowing if that was just talk though.

3. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

Bet that means the tasteful yellow Lego one will become a collectors item.:D

4. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Hi Alex,

I have to admit that when the huge price drop came around I was interested but,
    I came to the realisation that I could purchase a K-01 or purchase the "K to Q Adapter" and, liking my Q so much ....
    ;)

Cheers,

Jack

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  5. P_Stoddart

P_Stoddart Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a bad sign for Hasselblad. :rolleyes:

This product had a bling factor which seems to have not worked. :p

6. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

:D

Indeed, P_S, although, I don't know if I would use the word "bling" but, truth be told, I don't know what term I would use to describe the K-01 other than, perhaps, "well, they tried" and/or "a nice addition to Marc Newsome's retirement package ;)

Cheers and "late night" or "early morning" :)

Jack

7. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I think the lack of an electronic clip on viewfinder sealed its fate.

8. JerryNash

JerryNash Well-Known Member

Amongst many other things!!!

Large, unergonomic and unattractive (to most people) design were more likely the key reasons. It was basically a K5 with all the best bits removed (and only focus-peaking added).

I never had a chance to handle one so can't really say what it was like in use, but it was never really going to re-invent the market or tempt existing Pentax or new customers away from a DSLR. I think they just misunderstood the CSC market - even the Q is mostly seen as a novelty item... one i wouldn't say no to, admittedly!

9. Monobod

Monobod Phantom of the forum

I could never quite see the reason for it, other than the use of existing K mount lenses. But the whole point of mirrorless is small, or am I missing something?

Never mind, good to see that they (Pentax) are still having original thinking, even if it backfires sometimes.

I just hope that they don't go qwerky with a FF body. That would be a disaster.