1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUST TAKE SOME BLOODY PICTURES

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Roger Hicks, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

You do, though. That's 30-40 hours I could spend taking (or processing) pictures, or writing fiction, or riding my bicycle over to the baker's. Do I want to use those on repairing a Linhof, or on something else? "Value" is not just financial.

Cheers,

R.

2. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

The questions I would regard as being silly are those where the answer can readily be found in the instruction book, where the ever tempting response is to simply type RTFM or where a quick "Google" will bring the answer.

3. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Best comment on "silly questions" was from a support team leader. "When ten people ask you the same question, it's no longer silly. It means that someone built the thing without considering the users".

Benchista likes this.
  4. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's why users should always be involved in system design.

Andrew Flannigan and spinno like this.
  5. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

That's very radical. It implies that end users are the best people to suggest what they require a system to do for them rather than having a system that tells them what to do. Nah impossible!

:D

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

When I wrote technical advertising material for computer programmes in the 1970s, I would often say to the subject matter expert, "I am a 16-year-old school leaver who has been told she will be entering data on this system tomorrow. What buttons do I press?"

Very often, the answer was, "It's not that simple."

My standard reply was, "Then go away and rewrite it until it is."

Surprisingly often, they could.

Cheers,

R.

7. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I used to say to my lot, stop worrying you'll do something wrong. If you break it, I want to know, because that means it isn't good enough and needs improving.

8. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Over my working life (40 years) I have had the misfortune to use systems which have never been and probably were never designed to be user friendly.
    I quizzed various IT bods and said did you tell them what we want and invariably the answer would be "well they offered a package at such a good price, it was impossible to turn down" . yes and impossible to get to do what it was meant to do.

9. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

In the 1980s I designed small systems for large customers. I always wrote the user manuals first and insisted that the senior buyer signed every page of the manual to confirm that it was exactly what was wanted. Every system went in on time and worked and the customers expressed delight and gratitude. The thing I couldn't work out was why we didn't get repeat sales from these satisfied customers. My boss put me right. "We give the end users what they want. That makes their computer department look bad because they've built up a record of failed systems. The last thing the computer department managers want is us putting in a second successful system so they kill every project that might come to us." :eek:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. cliveva

cliveva Well-Known Member

Well what a response!
    When I was 17 and new to photography, this site would have been a godsend and at 57, it has helped me with problems, I could not solve by "googleing it".
    The day is for photography, the night for discussion..............;)

spinno, peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

No way. What about the astro photographers? I am not an astro photographer but like the best that they produce.,

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  12. Done_rundleCams

Done_rundleCams AP Forum Ambassador to Canada

Exactly, Roger :)

Cheers,

Jack

Roger Hicks likes this.