1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUST TAKE SOME BLOODY PICTURES

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Roger Hicks, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Craig,

A stupid question is one that is better answered by a moment's thought or a few minutes' experiment, rather than asking on a photo forum. It may also be one to which there is no answer, such as "will I like Canon or Nikon better".

Sure, there's no fixed point. I didn't intend to suggest there was. Quite often, I'll be quite patient if I think I can help someone. But if I don't think they can be helped by anyone, because they don't want to hear the answers, or will ignore them no matter what they are, or just want their prejudices confirmed, I'll tell 'em to go and take some bloody pictures. That's where I draw the line. Where do you draw it?

Cheers,

R.

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

And you're setting the markers for those terms based on your own view, which doesn't necessarily match other people's views. i.e. you're imposing your view and telling people how to have fun.

3. Roger Hicks

Dear Tony,

And what are you doing? A repeated theme in your replies to me is, "You shouldn't tell people what to do", which looks to me very much like telling me what to do.

Yes, I KNOW we're all different. That's why I ask questions and seek replies. You don't ask questions. You just state your (usually very predictable) viewpoint.

Cheers,

R.

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Good to know that I'm predictable.

5. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

I always have taken a lot. Looking back my serious photographs are boring compared with the snaps. Bye the way just got a new grandson.

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

NOOOO! Don't mention the S word. I have a competition this week :eek::eek:

7. Craig20264

Good question. I guess when they start glazing over and I think I might be giving them information overload, I would tell them to go out and take some pictures, then come back and we'll go through them and talk about the settings, if it's technical help they are after, or elements within the images etc. if it's compositional help they seek. (I'm not even sure compositional is a word?)
    If I get the feeling they are not listening, that would be that. I wouldn't waste any more time.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  8. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Where do I draw it?

In the sand, of course. It's traditional, and that way it gets washed away periodically and I can re-draw it somewhere else. ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.
  9. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

Ageee 100% on the equipment thing. I suffered from GAS for a while. I'd rather spend the money on decent photo books and travelling places to take photos instead.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  10. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

This is why I like this forum:

Photographer, on photography forum, suggests that photographers should take photographs.

Two pages (so far) of argument ensue....

Cheers, Jeff

cliveva, peterba, Geren and 1 other person like this.
  11. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Sorry a Lucy Locket.

If you catch one I have a spare set of classic Ping ISI irons to flog. They are an instant cure. :)

12. Craig20264

I'll let you know around 9.00pm Thursday Night. My irons could be in the river by then! ;)

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

Stupid me spends lots of money buying new gear but getting little pleasure from using it, but if I spend a fiver on a dodgy 1970s rangefinder the p!measure is almost unbounded (see my contribution to the £30 poll thread)
    In the context of get out and shoot yes I'll admit that I need to get out more but currently I'm not able to do so.
    I'll be damned if I need to ask a newbie any of the basic questions that they should bring with their questions (budget, experience etc) but then I think well I was like that once so my good side gives in and I try and help, as do many people here.

peterba and Roger Hicks like this.
  14. Roger Hicks

I'm currently trying to rebuild a scrap Linhof Technika III outfit. When I say "scrap" I mean leather falling off, chrome scabby, rangefinder not working, front unwilling to open, sheaths refusing to slide out of Rollex backs (rusted in place), back removal slides rusted in place...;. What's a piece of junk like that worth? LESS, I think, than its three lenses (65 Angulon, not Super; 105 Xenar, 240 Tele Xenar). But I hate to throw it away.

My guess is at least 30-40 hours to get it all working. Fine, until you value your time.

Cheers,

R.

spinno likes this.
  15. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

You don't though when doing something of this nature.

16. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Since I retired from the camera club scene 10 years ago a lot of my pictures are on f/b we have 2 accounts one for the serious stuff and one for family pics....the loft is home to most of my printed pictures, and my wardrobe is stacked with thousands of slides. I do put some pictures on here every so often just to show I still take new pictures, photography is not on the front burner anymore I take each day at a time and decide how to spend it, but a camera is never far away.....I have seen all the places that we have wanted to see. And yes Roger was right in a way people should stop asking silly questions on here, my advice is to go out and practice taking pictures and learn by your own mistakes...

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

I wouldn't discourage the asking of "silly questions". A first an essential step to learning is being able to ask a question in the first place, no matter if it turns out to be silly or profound. I agree it can be annoying when people ask what can obviously be found by picking up the manual, especially when answering means someone else has to read the manual for them, but not everyone was brought up with the ethos to "look it up", certainly that seemed lacking from my kids' formal education.

Indeed practice is essential. Most of the advice given on the forum, if not answering a specific point, encourages that does it not?

18. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

I think more people would ask questions here if the majority of answers were to the point.

19. Roger Hicks

Too many people believe, and repeat as a mantra, "There is no such thing as a stupid/silly question". They are wrong. As I write this, I can see from my study window that the sun is shining and the sky is blue. It would therefore be a silly question to ask someone else, "Is the sun shining and is the sky blue today?" And how on earth can anyone tell you whether you will prefer Nikon or Canon, if you have no historical experience of either?

Not all questions facilitate learning. Some appear to be phatic: saying something for the sake of something to say, to reaffirm common humanity. Others are rhetorical. The aim of yet others is to receive confirmation of an existing prejudice -- and if that prejudice is stupid or silly, then the question is likely t be stupid or silly too.

Jus because the vast majority of questions should be encouraged, and answered when possible, it does not mean that there is no such thing as a stupid/silly question.

Cheers,

R.

20. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

We tend to cope fairly well with what might be termed "silly" questions on here from complete beginners, which generally fall into 2 categories: "What's the best camera for me?" and more recently "I have a budget of absolutely max £300, what camera should I buy to take professional quality pictures of ...(insert subject where the minimum budget for lighting equipment will be twice that, but quite apart from unrealistic budgetary expectations, the level of skill required is not remotely grasped)". Better than on some sites where they would tell the first guy to buy a pro spec DSLR and a set of lenses to match, and recommend a bridge camera to the second guy that costs £400, anyway. ;)

Roger Hicks likes this.