1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

JUST TAKE SOME BLOODY PICTURES

Discussion in 'Talking Pictures' started by Roger Hicks, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

At what point do you say this? Sure, we all waste time on here that could (from the point of view of our development as photographers) better be spent taking pictures. But where do you draw the line and say, "Stop asking stupid questions. It would be quicker to try it and see -- and to think for yourself."

Yes, there are lots of answers in the magazine. Yes, there are lots on answers right here on the forum. But sooner or later we have to rely on our own judgement, and still more importantly, we have to take some pictures.

Mine are on my site(s). Where are yours?

Cheers,

R.

2. lfc1892

lfc1892 Well-Known Member

I think the first link isn't working, Roger.

3. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Mine go on Instagram and Flickr

4. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

You okay Roger, you seem quite angry this evening?

5. Roger Hicks

Yes... Well... Brother in law (web master) forgot to renew the hosting... Hence the (s) on site(s). Currently in the middle of migrating .com to the same site that hosts .eu. Thanks (sort of) for the reminder: as you might guess, I'm not overjoyed at the disappearance of several years' work, even if I am assured it's only temporary.

Cheers,

R.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  6. Roger Hicks

Dear Tony,

No angrier than usual. Just thought that people should take more pictures instead of agonizing about them -- or worse still, agonizing about equipment. This is why so many of my posts on this site are in the lounge, often on political topics.

Thanks for the concern, though. I've spent most of the day writing fiction; for a given value of fiction.

Cheers,

R.

Andrew Flannigan and peterba like this.
  7. Ffolrord

Ffolrord Well-Known Member

I couldn't agree more, and very much on the agonising about equipment point. Equipment is the least important factor in good photography, and the most blamed for disappointing results. My photos are largely sat on my hard drive.

peterba likes this.
  8. EightBitTony

I found the best way to get through life is to remember that I am me, not anyone else, and what I feel is important is irrelevant when it comes to other people. You're frustrated that other people don't think the same way you do - but you're in control of only one side of that equation.

Photography is no different to any other hobby - with 10 billion participants you'll have 10 billion different reasons for being a participant. In the age of calligraphy, you can be sure a significant number of people spent a lot of time talking about the paper, rather than the hand strokes.

My photographs are in calendars, Flickr, Instagram, Facebook, my hard drive, plastered all over the Internet, on this forum mostly outside of Appraisals, but I'm not sure why that matters.

9. Roger Hicks

Dear Tony,

Because photography = taking pictures. Lose sight of that and you've lost sight of photography. Criticism, analysis, history, asking questions: all fine. But there's a balance. Note that my post specifically posed the question, "But where do you draw the line and say, "Stop asking stupid questions. It would be quicker to try it and see -- and to think for yourself."

Where (if at all) do YOU draw that line?

Cheers,

R.

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

When I first made the move from family snapper to thinking a bit more about photography, I didn't have anyone to ask and as I'd just inherited my camera and first two lenses there wasnt' much point deliberating over equipment - I had what I had, and had to just crack on with it. That's why in one of the 'which camera' threads on here I pointed out that sometimes it's not a bad idea to just plump for one you like the look of and learn to love it. The fact is, you can take great shots with a biscuit tin if you give it a bit of thought.

I did eventually join a Facebook Weekly Competition type group where a theme was issued and all members submitted up to four images for the week and the person running the group selected winners and runners up. I learned a lot from looking at what won and comparing to my own non-winning shots. I picked up bits of info about aperture and shutter speed from reading the comments and chat and then applying them to my own photographs. I started experimenting with light. I started winning some of the weekly themes. And eventually took over running the group.

I think it's true that you need to get out there and take photographs, but I also think it's important to spend some time looking at them and seeing where you could improve, or at least, assessing what it was you hoped to acheive with them. That might mean showing them to people on here or elsewhere or it might mean going to exhibitions and reading books and comparing your own work with what you see there. Why am I not this good? What do I need to understand/put into action in order to be better? Asking questions of yourself as well as others is the road to better pictures, but only if you then go out and take them.

My own photographs are all over the shop. I've become annoyed lately with Flickr and rather stopped posting there but some are on my own website, and on Facebook and lately I've been trying to embrace Instagram. A great many are currently churning off my printer while I decide what's going to make the grade for my current project. They will eventually appear in book form I think.

Roger Hicks, EightBitTony and peterba like this.
  11. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

What constitutes a "stupid question" Roger? I agree that it's sometimes better to get stuck in and make some mistakes. It's a vital part of the learning process. (You only walk into a glass door once as they say). I would argue the line is not a fixed point. It's very much dependant on the person. Some people are obviously quicker learners than others.
    I have a few images on Flickr, around 20 or so printed out, mounted and dotted around the walls of the house, the rest are destined for a life on a hard drive.

Roger Hicks and peterba like this.
  12. saxacat

saxacat Well-Known Member

My main pleasure in life now comes from my photography, the planning, the capturing, the post production. I take mostly wildlife pictures, as I'm more comfortable with animals than I am with people.

Most of my images are never seen; some of the better ones I put on my Facebook page for family to see. Slightly better ones are sometimes posted on a Facebook group for people interested in the wildlife around my local County; others will go onto my Flickr page, and a few of those are shared with the Autumn Watch group on Flickr.

On a slightly different note, I am also a member of a couple of Facebook groups, whose interest lies in the part of Liverpool where I grew up. There are frequently old photographs posted on the groups, showing the people and the area over the last 100 years or so. These fascinating old photos obviously originate from old negatives/prints, and it concerns me sometimes, that in 100 years time most photos taken today, having only ever existed in the digital world, will have ceased to exist.

EightBitTony, peterba and Geren like this.
  13. EightBitTony

I don't ask many questions on here, so that probably tells you what you want to know. You've spent a lifetime talking about photography, it seems churlish of you to expect others to not do so. The social element of forums is key to their existence, and the community aspect (driven often by off-topic conversation) is as important as the content.

My main point, is that where I draw the line shouldn't matter, because everyone draws it somewhere differently, which is the only reason the world is interesting enough to photograph anyway.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  14. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I agree Roger. The more the merrier and the odd gem appears to make you take more! Remember the fun of it all without the angst. There's nothing worse than hesitating to take a picture because the conditions aren't right, or the 'right' lens is the one you left behind - or you've only got your pocket camera or phone with you.
    Just take the bloody pictures!

By the way, mine are on Flickr, but not so many these days, about 4,000+. Some are on Facebook just for the sheer fun of it all. A couple or three books too.

Roger Hicks likes this.
  15. peterba

peterba Well-Known Member

By coincidence, Roger, just recently, it occurred to me that I have made well over 600 posts on this forum, and I doubt that any more than around 30 of them (though I haven't actually counted) are about anything to do with photography. It rather begs the question: why did I join a photography forum to (largely) NOT discuss photography...? I really don't have an answer... :confused:

Roger Hicks likes this.
  16. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Well yes BUT....... There can come a point where you lose the overview of what you've got, which is why I'm marking time a bit at the moment. Even with film it's easy to produce a couple of hundred pictures over a year and when, in my case, I basically only use 14/year (Calendar and xmas card), perhaps 1 or 2 additionally find places in my exhibition stock, the rest can easily become ignored. So I'm slowing down a bit and going through the rest to assess what's there because no way are those pictures second or third grade! As an example - 5 minutes walk through the park and I'm in the forest. Over the last 8 or 9 years I've amassed about 200 attempts at impressionistic woodland shots ( to say nothing of the 'normal' shots from the preceding 15 years or so) and I think it's time to consider what I'm going to do with them, or at least a selection of them ( the 'short list' comes in at 95 at the moment!) - calendar? exhibition? photo-book? (and yes, I was in the forest just before easter taking a couple more shots for the collection.....)
    Whilst I have fun taking the pictures I have absolutely no qualms about saying 'forget it' if the conditions or the possible result aren't right. If I come home having taken absolutely nothing then that's OK because I may well have mentally noted possible sites/picture opportunities for later, better(?)/different conditions. Apart from that, it's always depended upon where I am at the time. On holidays in Sweden, France, the UK I've happily snapped away because I may well not be in the area again - so sod the conditions etc.!. Here at home I can generally wait for the 'right' conditions.
    Yesterday, late afternoon, I nipped down the road with the b&w camera and took a couple of shots of hairdresser's window display - very amusing contents. Only another 3 or 4 shots and I can get the film developed - just don't ask how long it's been in the camera! Who knows, I may even find an opportunity to post those 2 shots here!

Lynn

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

There are two types of people in the world. There are those who come to a river and ask "where is the bridge?" and there are those who just jump in and start swimming across. We cannot make the first type into the second type and I feel we shouldn't try.

Catriona and RovingMike like this.
  18. EightBitTony

The *only* important thing, is to do what you enjoy, and not worry about telling other people what they should enjoy. If I enjoy taking 10,000 pictures a day and never looking at them, that's fine. If I enjoy taking 1 photo every 5 years and the rest of the time planning, that's fine.

It's doing what personally gives us joy that matters (within the context of living our lives and not harming others and bringing joy to other people, etc., etc.)

That was my point at the start, Roger is concerned about how *other* people are using the forum, or doing the hobby, or is worrying that other people are missing out because they don't just go out and take pictures. Firstly, it's a futile concern, because you can't control other people, and secondly, it's actually the exact opposite of what he's espousing in others because he shouldn't worry about what we do to enjoy the hobby, he should just do what he enjoys to enjoy the hobby.

Do what you want, harm no one.

Catriona and Andrew Flannigan like this.
  19. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Would have thought the opposite myself. Taking pictures is easy and without the agonising, they are all totally wonderful. Try that philosophy as a cure for a shank, hook, slice, top etc at golf and see how long it is before you park your clubs in the nearest pond :)

20. Roger Hicks

Oh dear. Some people have misunderstood me grievously: I apologize for not being clearer. All I was trying to do was to give a kick up the bum to people who over-analyze their pictures. "Over-analyze" is not the same as "analyze".

And thinking is not the same as agonizing.

Cheers,

R.

Catriona, RovingMike and peterba like this.