1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Started and another noob

Discussion in 'Introductions...' started by Stevieag, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

Hi all, just joined and saying hi.

My son has started an art course and will spend a brief time doing photography to then copy in art class.
    We had been lent a Nikon 7000 and I was the one that was bit by the bug.

My grandfather had passed earlier this year and owned two camera a canon d1100 and Nikon P510.
    I was given these to remember him by so are of a sentimental significance but I was advised still good starter cameras.
    I have taken on the canon and my son has taken on the Nikon as he has more of a point and shoot need.
    This is how I've arrived here.
    I have a sigma 70-300 lens on the canon and was advised that this was not bad but a pain to use.I have taken some nice pics and now have to agree that it is of use but as advised won't be my primary lens and is a lens that you need to get used to.

I am now looking at buying another lens to use as my primary covers most situations (25-75 is that right?)

I am on a shoe string plus worried of spending a wad then realising it was the wrong thing then I'm worried I'll cut corners and then buy rubbish that will result in rubbish.

Cash available..... Max £200.

When I put this to one side I though it would be plenty, then I looked at prices. Wow, this photography is pricey.

Anybody got any advice on selection?

Im still learning and don't have a clue on f stops, appature settings, exposure settings. I've learnt what each is but when presented with a situation I'm not at a stage where I can just jump to the correct settings.I guess practice.
    I was asked to take some pics of a christening recently and kept auto on as I was scared of missing a moment.

Any advice, pointers, guidance, greatfully received.

2. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

Hello, Stevie, and welcome to the AP forums!

I'm slightly confused as to exactly which lens(es) you have and what you're looking for, particularly what shortcomings in your equipment you're hoping to overcome.

Do you have the standard 18-55mm IS II kit lens that I believe all 1100Ds were sold with? If not, that's probably a good general purpose lens, reasonable quality and price, around £100 second hand with guarantee from a reputable dealer such as Mifsuds or Ffordes. There's also the newer STM version, which is a bit faster focussing, but perhaps not quite so good optically, but you'd probably be best avoiding the older non-stabilised (IS) versions.

If you only have the Sigma telezoom, than I'm not surprised you find it inconveniently long focal length for many shots, even at the 70mm wide end.

If you do already have the Canon 18-55 kit lens, but are looking for something with slightly better optical performance, particularly wider aperture for low light and shallow depth of field effects, you might be able to find one of the 17-50mm f/2.8 zooms from Tamron or Sigma just about within your budget, 2nd hand.

3. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

Hi AlexMonro,

Thank you for the reply..

Sorry about that, after a re read it is very confusing.

I do only have the sigma.

Should of read
    I will next look into the lenses you suggest. Your advice will really help as I'm lost at the moment.

4. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome, yes the 18-55 is a good pair with the 70-300. A very good version that should be around second hand is the EF-S18-55 IS II if you want an upgrade without straining the wallet to much you could try to find a Tamron 17-50mm f2.8 these come both with or without VC (same as IS on Canons own) just make sure to actually try the lens before you buy, both to make sure that image quality is good and as the 1100D is rather light some lenses can feel very front heavy. That said a EF-18-55 IS II or STM would be a safe bet as they are the standard kit for this body

5. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

Thank you for your help. The tamron gets a good review out on the net.

My dilemma is the £200 I was to spend is a voucher.... For Trafford centre, Manchester. :eek:

I will need to maybe swap with my wife ;)

6. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM
    Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4.0-5.6 IS USM
    Tamron SP AF 17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF]

I've managed to sort something out and have now pinned down these?
    Any advice on which is best to plump for?

They are in price order
    18-55 £95
    17-85 £100
    17-50 £165

I've read some reviews but still at a loss. Its confusing me.

7. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

If the difference is £5 between the two Canons then my choice would be the 17-85mm. But remeber it is much bigger than the 18-55mm, what you get is better range, better build quality, internal focusing with full time manual overwrite and this is actually a very nice feature. I think that £95 for the kit lens is rather high as it is a rather basic and feels a bit plastic, yes it is a good lens but imho not worth this price even with the STM motor.
    The Tamron you have there does not have VC but that version was considered much better for image quality, but what it does have is f2.8 wich will give you better low light performance. It is well built and good option, this lens like the 17-85 is bigger than the 18-55mm.

My opinion, the choice would be between the Tamron for IQ and f2.8 and the 17-85 for exelet zoom range, the Canon has a IS that will help in low light so it will not be to far of the Tamron. Image quality will be probably be bit better with the Tamron but the Canon very good as well so the diference might not be important unless you are making big prints.

8. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

I really appreciate you taking time to help me.

9. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

No problem, in the last part it should be the Tamron or the canon 17-85 you don't need both :rolleyes:

10. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

I bought the tamron.... woo hoo
    Seemed more of a keeper (IQ etc) than a stepping stone (Canon)..
    I was also able to tap into my work colleagues for their views.

Bought a flash gun and remote trigger set up also as stocking filler (christmas after christmas)

The flash should get me on the road until ive learnt what i really need from a flash gun.
    Due the low price i will report back with my thoughts so others get a feel of a newbies pov on stepping stone products.

A said i really appreciate everybodies help and for not making me feel like a cheapskate...
    One day ill understand and be asking for pov on pricier lenses.

Im now on the road to financial ruin :(....

11. Snorri

Snorri Well-Known Member

Sounds good, you might want to start here this page is a great source of information on off camera flash. But have fun and don´t be a stranger. :)

12. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

Nooooo

I was supposed to have an early night but now spent hours reading that website

Now looking at buying a few more lighting rig bits (stand, brolly)
    I want to take some good portraits.

I need to hold my horses and get a grip, this could become dangerous on the wallet.;)

13. AlexMonro

AlexMonro Old Grand Part Deux

I've just realised something I forgot to mention in my previous post - you might find this page helpful in understanding more about the technical terms that describe lenses:

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/camera-lenses.htm

You might also find some of the other tutorials on that site helpful too, but it could lead to more late nights reading! :)

14. Stevieag

Stevieag Member

I think I'm in love with my new lens. I've bought some filters and stuff.

I've played with light painting, long exposures so Smoky tap water, ghostly images where I'm see though, images of my fish to try my cp filter.

This lens has allowed me to play a lot in the house without shooting from the other side of the room. Really pleased, thanks to every one.

Now can't wait for the flash gun umbrella, remote trigger to come and start more playing. I guess eventually I'll settle down but enjoying myself at the moment making some awful images :D