1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just Say The Word

Discussion in 'Nikon Chat' started by AlecM, Feb 16, 2012.

1. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

....so, I was chatting to a fellow tog the other day, who referred to his Nikon system, but pronounced the 'i' like the 'i' in kite, rather than (what I've always said) the 'i' in kit.
    I've always assumed it is the short i sound as it comes from Nippon Kogaku. Perhaps I've got it wrong all these years....
    So, Nikon or N'eye'kon?
    :confused:

(I really ought to be doing better things...!!)

2. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

It's Nick-on and not Nigh-Kon

There's a link somewhere of the head of Nikon saying "only an idiot would called it Nigh-Kon" or words to that effect.

I'll try and dig it our...

3. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And indeed he said it to a group of Septics, who have always said it wrong.

I suspect that the error comes from the fact that their early cameras were copies of Contax rangefinders, made by Zeiss Ikon, thus making some believe that the name was copied, too.

4. Fen

Fen <span style="font-weight: bold; color: #AF7817;">L

5. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

So much clearer to pronounce - cheers Fen!

I was wondering whether our trans-pond allies may have had something to do with it but I've no idea how they say it...
    ;)

6. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

7. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

The Americans say nigh-kon and we all know what idiots they are! ;)

8. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

They speak highly of you, too. :D

9. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

simon garfunkel hit kodachrome, probably didn't help where he mentions "I got a Nigh-kon camera, I love to take a photograph"

10. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Its Nikon as in Nikkors! get my drift! The Americans say Nighkon, but it does not really matter does it.....now where is my Cell-Phone.........thats American for Mobile Phone...it goes on and on!

11. rjbell

rjbell Well-Known Member

I feel a song coming on!

You like potato and I like potahto,
    You like tomato and I like tomahto,
    Potato, potahto, tomato, tomahto!
    Let's call the whole thing off!

12. AlecM

AlecM MiniMe

Well, I guess with a language where the following is possible (to illustrate homonyms and homophones), anything goes.....

I thought it would make my arm sore, sawing through the wood. The rough bough was tough, so I tried boring through, but that was boring.

...and I guess we all know that 'ghoti' spells 'fish'......
    ;)

13. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Superficially they were copies. The shutter was closer to that of the Leica.

14. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I wouldn't say they were close copies, but they certainly weren't superficial copies. Heavens, the legacy survives to this day in the "wrong way round" mounting of the F mount and direction of focus of the lenses.

15. Yebisu

Yebisu Well-Known Member

Finally a thread I know enough to contribute to! But it's got nothing to do with actual photography.

In Japan the "Ni" sound in Nikon is closer to our word "knee" (but with a slightly shorter vowel sound) than the "ni" from "nick".

16. Guitarist

Guitarist Well-Known Member

I have always used Nickon rather than Neekon or Nyekon. But I guess to pronounce the written word as per the rules of English, Nyekon is correct. In the same way Canon is pronounced as Cannon, as the the written word canon. Does that make sense?

17. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Except that Cannon (used to?) make cookers[​IMG]

18. Zak52

Zak52 Well-Known Member

Hell dammit, I say Nigh-kon. But say Ni-kkor in the mistaken belief that the 2 ks soften the 'i'. Night night.

19. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

I get told off for saying 'Nyekon' but you do not call - in English - a tablet or framed painting on the wall of a Russian church an 'ickon'. But pronouncing Nikkor as 'nickkor' is natural as it has two Ks. (Having said which, the UK and the USA were described by Churchill, I think, as 'common countries having a different language.')

The problem arises in part from the name of the company making the product which was changed from Nippon Kogaku (short-form) to Nikon. They have tried to hold over the Ni sound from the double P Nippon but only took it into the new name with one K. A mistake, possibly? Names have produced problems before: were not the early Nikkormats actually Nikormats?

20. 0lybacker

0lybacker Well-Known Member

Unless you pronounce it Kwanon! ;):)