1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought an X-Pro 2 and looking for a lens....

Discussion in 'Fujifilm Cameras' started by Rhys, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

Hi folks, long tome no post (mostly on Farcebook now..)
    Just took the plunge into mirrorless and bought an X-Pro 2 off fleabay. Ordered a 50mm 7artisans 50mm lens then realised it wasn't actually 50mm.. D'oh! Anyway, it's coming in from China sometime in the next week or so and it was cheap so I'm keeping it for now.

Thing it I'm wanting a general purpose lens and either thinking of the 18-55 'kit lens' which I've read is pretty good, or may be tempted by the Mitakon Speedsmaster II 35mm f0.95 as it's got rave reviews as well as being T0.95 and acting as a f1.4 on the crop (but still T0.95). Only thing putting me off is the stepless aperture ring and lack of info to camera body (manual doesn't really bother me to be honest, I grew up on manual). Only other thing is it's the equivalent of a 50mm on the crop sensor and I fancied something a bit wider tbh - though it isn't the end of the world,,

Other lenses I was considering were L/M39 screw thread Leica fit with a convertor to fit Fuji X. I've looked at the cheap end Leica lenses of that period and they are generally 50mm as well so no good. I quite liked the look of the collapsables elmar etc. but they appear to have soft glass, slow speeds and aren't that sharp.

I've also got several Nikon fit lenses (Tokina 12-24 ATX thing on DX - but not sure what that would work out as with a converter?) and several Carl Zeiss M42 lenses but the convertors are pretty big and defeats having a nice compact body to put them on..

So,,,,, I know a few on here have the X-Pro 1/2, what do you use and why? An would you recommend the 18-55 kit lens or the 35mm Mitakon? Or something else?

Budget is around £350 to £400

2. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I did have the 7artisans 25mm on a winning bid (of £40) but after reading about it, it was rubbish! edge softness and terrible vignetting..

3. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I use the kit lens 18-55 and 35mm f2 Fuji.

Work for me on the X-T10.

S

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Fuji XF lenses are very good. The XC lenses less so but not rubbish. I'd stick to the XF unless you have a real hankering to use older manual focus lenses via an adaptor. If coming from 35 mm the crop factor is 1.5. Fuji have released lots of models over a short period of time, the bodies obsolete but I don't think there has been an update of any fuji lens.

I have the three zooms, 10-24, 18-55, 55-200 and as far as image quality is concerned they match my full frame Canon system with 'L' lenses except perhaps at 10-11mm vs 16 mm of a 16-35 L

Rhys likes this.
  5. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I think I'm leaning towards the kit lens, and it's got OIS so I guess that opens it up a stop?

6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Lovely lens, but I prefer the 35mm as it is considerably smaller. And lighter.

S

Rhys likes this.
  7. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I've lent that much I've pulled the trigger on one..
    advert says..
    'it comes with a fuji petal lens hood which is reversible on the lens,and a third party aluminium open back lens hood which fits via the 58 mm filter thread on the lens also supplied is a Hoya pro 1 UV Digital filter with a 58 mm thread in its original case,it comes in a fuji lens carry bag with front and rear lens caps'

8. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

I guess... My main camera is a Nikon D3s with 28-105 AF-D so I don't think weight plays much of a part except lugging my camera gear around pulls my back put lol hence the Fuji.

Looking for a small bag to carry my X-Pro 2 around in now. I like the look of the ONA Bowery, but a) it's expensive and b) it looks like a handbag..