1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

June 2018- A Night at the Movies.

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by MJB, Jun 1, 2018.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

This is all part of the ongoing saga that ensued because I wanted to move the TV from one side of the living room to another. It's safe to say that I wish I'd left well alone. Moving the TV revealed the dreadful stain on the carpet under the TV unit where the cat had been doing her level best to rid the smell of old dog with a fresher, newer smell of cat. So the carpet had to come up. Which involved moving all the furniture, not just the TV unit. AFter the carpet came the underlay, and after the underlay came the old lino. We're now down to hardboard which has been nailed down with eighty seven million nails and floorboards, the exact state of which is still to be determined. All this meant a lot of shuffling stuff around as we went in underneath things in sections. But we did eventually get the room organised and set up how we wanted it. And a plan to save up and buy new flooring if the boards aren't salvageable. A few extra tweaks along the way created some extra storage space and my husband was going to fill it from the boxes of books that we'd been storing in the bottom of an elder child's wardrobe until once more I opened my silly mouth and said "Surely there's room down the side our bed for some shelving...then you could use this space for all your tools, drill bits and the like and the books would be more accessible anyway".

When will I learn? Measuring the space for the new shelving unit, we were two mm short of what we needed. But there was at least a cm of leeway if we shoved the bed hard up against the wardrobe on the other side. Only shoving the bed damaged one of the slats. Fixed it and shoved the bed. Great. Shelves will fit. But actually only at one end of the bed because nothing in the flat is straight, level or true and we were missing nearly two inches at the corner of the room. No matter says husband. There are more than two inches on the other side of the wardrobe. So he emptied the contents all over the flat and starting heaving and shoving to move the wardrobe. Which is a cheap Ikea job. So it broke. Not least because he'd forgotten that because the floor isn't level, the wardrobe was bracketed to the wall in three places to stop it tipping over and killing us. So now the wallpaper is ripped too.

This morning, as well as photographing a box load of ceramic mugs for a paying client, I am also supposed to be attempting to move what's left of the wardrobe, fix the wallpaper, fix the wardrobe, put it back in place, shift the bed over, slot the bookshelves back in, stuff the bookshelves with all the books, recycle the boxes the books were in, refill the wardrobe with all the clothes that are dotted about all over the shop, and deal with the nineteen loads of laundry that my son brought home from university. As well as persuade him to let me cut his hair.

I need a gin.

Catriona likes this.
  2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="

I need a gin.[/QUOTE]
    No - you need two gins and a genie! Take care now.

3. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

No - you need two gins and a genie! Take care now.[/QUOTE]

Honestly, I'd forgo the gin in favour of a genie any day!

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

The River Wild.

There are 6 guys paddling. Why anyone would do this for fun beats me ... let alone get a job as helmsman and do it all day long.

[​IMG]274A1288.jpg by Pete, on Flickr

5. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Ditto. Endless possibilities on this theme, but I'm sure alternative interpretations of the same title are allowable?

EightBitTony likes this.
  6. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I may well have made a rod for my own back, but I like the really open themes. Hopfully some new faces will join in the fun too.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Absolutely!

8. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I think Marti Caine has died.

Coat on and I'm off.

9. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

When opportunity knocks....

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

...you still have to have the 'x' factor.

11. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A5345.jpg
    June 2018. The Shape of Water (2017)

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_MG_7535.jpg
    June 2012. Up (2009)

Catriona and Zou like this.
  13. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

chickenlittle.jpg
    July 2012. Chicken Little (2005)

Catriona and Zou like this.
  14. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

None but the Brave 1965

[​IMG]

Catriona likes this.
  15. Nikonchris

Nikonchris Well-Known Member

16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Yeah? Well, that will give me two month's break from the comp.

But then, with so many entries just being trawled from people's archives, I'm beginning to think there's no incentive to go out and take pictures and the comp is no longer worth any effort from me.

Oh well, I doubt I'll be missed.

17. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Don't feel like that.

Each theme has so far started with archive image posts as a bit of fun and I think only once so far has the "take in the month" requirement been relaxed. I expect this delving into the archives will last another day or two and then some deliberate pictures will appear.

I'm not creative enough to go out to find a subject to fit a brief so putting an archive picture up, even if it doesn't count, is a way to take part.

Zou likes this.
  18. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

I only enter for the fun and the interaction. I thought that's what it was all about? I enjoy seeing others archive shots as much as I enjoy the new stuff. You don't have to follow suit, you can still take it as a challenge to go out and take images. It doesn't mean everyone has to. Some folk can't always get out for their own varying reasons and issues. Live and let live I say.

19. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Day of the triffids, shape of water and jobs all taken in the last 24 hours! The amount of effort you put in is surely up to you? My issue is that I can never remember names of films unitl someone points them out to me, so looking through my archives isn't a lot of use to me. However, finding a film from a list and wondering how I might represent it in some way is a challenge I like.

Andrew Flannigan likes this.
  20. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Lots of photos, some comedy and controversy and it's only day 2. What more could one want?

Geren and EightBitTony like this.