1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

July Theme - A Nation of Shopkeepers

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Geren, Jul 1, 2016.

1. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I used to run a photography competition group on Facebook where I had to choose a new theme on a weekly basis, so in theory, the choosing of the July theme should have been easy. Pah! I knew my small group of 'togs' pretty well, and knew what they liked to shoot. The AP forum is a different beast altogether! However, a theme is required and so you will have a new theme.

I was thinking, as today marks the first day of the summer holidays for my children here in Scotland, that we could do a holiday-related theme. But not everyone will yet be feeling that particular joy. (English parents can gain some crumb of comfort that as they still have two lovely weeks of vacation left, we will be piling 'back to school' much earlier. Swings and roundabouts.) Besides, the first day of the holiday isn't providing much rest as I have to do the first big 'feed the gannets' shop. So. Shopping. That's your theme. Hopefully it offers up a number of potential responses - you could shoot from the perspective of buyer or seller. You could shoot window displays, market stalls, the products brought home or the means of bringing them. Supermarket, online retail, local grocer, market or carboot. Packaging, advertising, hawkers and lemonade stands. Cold callers, estate agents, milk carts, plastic bags and wicker baskets. Church fayres, crowds, lines, precious pocket money and... I could go on forever.

If a Mod could please move this to the relevant spot in the themes/comp forum, I'd be very grateful

Thanks

Kath

RogerMac, AlanW and Fishboy like this.
  2. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

A few from my archives to get things going...

14-07-27-003.jpg 131005-018.jpg 15-10-05-Y3-T1-B2-Partick-Cowcaddens-010.jpg 15-10-08-Y3-T1-B2-ShoppingAJ-005.jpg 15-10-12-Y3-T1-B2-Partick-To-Cowcaddens-010a.jpg

Themis likes this.
  3. PeteE

PeteE Well-Known Member

OM2n, 75-150mm f4 Zuiko zoom, Fuji Neopan 400 in Promicrol
    [​IMG]Shop by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Minolta 500si + Minolta AF zoom 70-210mm f4.5-5.6 ' Bonusprint Activa 'film
    [​IMG]Minolta Test 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Agfa Isolette III+ 75mm f3.5 SOLINAR lens, 2007 outdated Ilford XP2 400 Super in C41, flash from Miranda 630CD

[​IMG]SVR 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Geren likes this.
  4. londonbackpackr

londonbackpackr Well-Known Member

Geren likes this.
  5. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

SXH and Geren like this.
  6. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

lifelines ap.jpg
    Our lifelines - hauliers and village shop.

shopping fun ap.jpg
    Shopping can be fun!

Geren likes this.
  7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Themis, Roger Hicks and Geren like this.
  8. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Sidmouth Market.

[​IMG]

9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ah yes, Woolies. I remember being utterly horrified that what in my mind was a Great British Institution would be no more. Then I tried to remember the last time I'd shopped there. The fact of the matter was, they didn't sell anything I wanted any more. It had been great when my children were small and I seemed to be faced with a constant need for cheap birthday presents to take to parties, and it did some nice chidlren's clothing at one point. But even then I was only ever really in when they had a sale on. I still feel a bit guilty!

10. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

An indoor market then? I seem to remember something like that in Sheffield...but can't quite place it now. I'm amused by the bunting which seems to be largely deocrating a stack of emtpy boxes!

11. dream_police

There was the Sheaf market. It was in the City centre just behind the Woolworths store (or was it Woolco?). They used to make fresh doughnuts near the entrance to the store. I am talking late 60's to late 70's when I lived there. No idea if it still exists

Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

That sounds about right. I was born in Sheffield but adopted at 6 weeks of age by parents living in Scotland. We moved back to Sheffield when I was about five or six - 1973-4. Then we moved again but came back in 1976. I think. To be honest my memories are a bit sketchy becasue we moved so often. But my granny lived in Sheffield until she died when I was about 14, and she had moved into what had been our house by then so some memories may have been when we visited her rather than when we lived there. But yes, I remember the indoor market quite well. Photographs online suggest it is indeed the same place.

13. dream_police

I used to live just outside Sheffield in Deepcar. My dad worked at British Steel in Stocksbridge. I went back s couple of years ago. Some of the city has been improved considerably. Other areas not and was quite rough to be honest.

14. miked

miked Well-Known Member

The second shot by Geren of the lingerie window is an absolute cracker, and there are others by Pete, Kate and the two Nige's which have great shine. Hard acts to follow.

Fishboy and Catriona like this.
  15. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Geren likes this.
  16. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Some...
    [​IMG]
    are more successful than others...
    [​IMG]

17. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Of course, shops can provide services as well as goods...

[​IMG]

The question is, are the workouts so strenuous you need your 'do touched up afterwards or do you need the fight training to get to the front of the queue for a new 'do? o_O

18. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Symmetry - well, nearly...
    gemini ap.jpg

Themis, Geren and SXH like this.
  19. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

A couple of weeks ago in Regent Street . . . .

[​IMG]

Themis, dream_police, Geren and 2 others like this.
  20. Ianj

Ianj Well-Known Member

IMG_0190_1 (600x800).jpg IMG_0190_1 (600x800).jpg