1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

July comp discussion thread - "Neigbourhood Natural History"

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by TheFatControlleR, Jul 10, 2016.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Steve, the older I get, the more I veer towards the unusual, the minimalist and impressionist style photography. Hence, I like it!!

Jeff, that was beyond the call of duty, but what a shot you ended up with. Brilliant!

3. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

I'd already mentioned to several people that I thought I'd be able to get a decent photograph of the kestrel if I went out onto the top of the old lift shaft - unfortunately this was before I realised that it wouldn't take my weight!

I had to go through with it to get some kind of photograph and it turned out OK in the end, but I've got to admit that I'm terrified of heights!

Cheers, Jeff

Geren likes this.
  4. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Jeff, have to say I think you're mad, but then you did get the shot so maybe not?!

As a matter of interest, any thoughts on the term "Neighbourhood Natural History". I'm a bit lacking in critters while I'm busy packing up my house. Plantlife? Does that count? I did manage a couple of greenfly this afternoon. I know. Not exactly thrilling stuff, is it?! And because I am having camera trouble I went for arty/blurry rather than 'so sharp you could identify it from space'.

5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Well, according to the online version of the OED, Natural History is:
    Personally, I would probably extend it to include fossils, which are 'preserved' natural history. Sort of...

That's the rock sort of fossils, not certain of the older posters on this forum - you know who you are - so no selfies! :cool:

Geren likes this.
  6. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

How about cats?

7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

I like 'em. But I couldn't eat a....oh. I see what you mean. Last time I checked they were animals so I'd say they count. Especially if, as according to SXH's definition, you're not experimenting on them.

Craig20264 likes this.
  8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Right then. Now all I need to do is catch one actually doing something besides eating or sleeping!

Geren likes this.
  9. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ah yes, that's the tricky bit. My cat has a sixth sense for photography and will stop doing anything interesting the moment she thinks I might like to get a shot. Every time. It's uncanny.

10. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

As this was a theme which I suggested, I reckoned on anything living, be it animal, plant, fungus, lichen, whatever as long s it's not human would fit the bill. I thought it would be nice to see the diversity of wildlife that lives alongside us whether like me you live in the arse end of nowhere or an inner city high rise.

Geren likes this.
  11. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Have you noticed how, soon after you've entered a picture, you produce a better one?

[​IMG]

Mind you, I had to follow him(?) for about ten minutes with my little LF1 before I managed a picture that wasn't just his bum sticking out at me!

The question is, it's obviously a banded bumblebee, but it is it a dark buff-tailed or a faded red-tailed? :confused:

12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I tried to upload a file but it was too big. Working off of mobile only with no resizing app, so I won't be able to enter. For reference it's a Japanese rice field just down the road from me.

Geren likes this.
  13. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Um, it's July 7th. Shouldn't there be some news of a voting thread?

14. Catriona

So what are you going to do about it?

15. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Erm, put a post in the discussion thread asking when it's likely to happen?

16. Catriona

But you know what should (or rather, what used to happen) and who dealt with it. It seems that is no longer the case, so what do you expect anyone else to do that you can't?

17. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I'll deal with it when I get back home - can't do it on my phone, sorry.

18. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

As I'm not a mod with the relevant privileges, I prefer to act as an agent provocateur, as you might say. And it seems to work. :cool:

Cheers, mate. :)

19. Catriona

You certainly had more luck than we did last month! ;)

20. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Catriona likes this.