1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

July 2017 Theme- Light

Discussion in 'Forum Competitions and Themes' started by Craig20264, Jul 4, 2017.

1. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

2. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

Light, a few days after getting my DSLR for the first time (and while I was still watermarking images).

[​IMG]IMG_3531 by Tony Evans, on Flickr

3. EightBitTony

4. EightBitTony

5. EightBitTony

I'm bad at the whole lighting thing (despite it being a fundamental aspect of photography), but I'll try and get out in July and give it more thought.

Done_rundleCams and Geren like this.
  6. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Lighten our Darkness

ltodk.jpg

Done_rundleCams, EightBitTony and SXH like this.
  7. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

170705-002.jpg

This was taken this morning albeit for something other than this theme. I was thinking about the idea of 'home' and the fact that we've now been living in this 'new' flat for three weeks shy of a year! One of the ways I have acclimatised myself to this place has been to explore the ways that the light interacts with the space. It's only a tiny flat but even after just over 11 months I'm still finding things to be surprised by. This room has two windows, only small, but it means the light behaves in interesting ways as the sun moves around outside, so even though this is in a darker area of the room, sometimes the light reaches just the right spot. The light at the back is from an LED lighting strip that we can't turn off because the socket is behind the cabinet which has been screwed to the wall to stop it tipping on the uneven floors. We didn't realise it was switched on when we very firmly screwed it in place!

8. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Perpetual
    perpetual.jpg

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Sometimes you need to hide from the light!
    make for the light ap.jpg

10. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Light can define an interior (the Little Orange Cafe in Exeter)...

Panasonic GM5_red 8GB 02 P1220708.JPG

11. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Been busy today so not been out with the camera. So another oldie. Think I may have posted it on here before.

[​IMG]earbuds by Nigel G, on Flickr

Done_rundleCams, miked, Geren and 3 others like this.
  12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A8129.jpg

It was an odd day light-wise today. When I first went out I thought for sure I'd be able to get some nice high-contrast shots because the sun was bright and casting really good shadows. Then all of a sudden it went flat and dull. And then it changed so rapidly you couldn't decide what was going on. This was not a day for high contrast, nor for sweeping vistas. I found myself having to look for light in small details instead, and I rather liked the way this planter glowed in the evening sun for just a moment or two.

Done_rundleCams and Catriona like this.
  13. Catriona

A lovely study in terracotta. :)

Done_rundleCams likes this.
  14. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

_P9A8097.jpg

A few years ago the local council 're-vamped' the town square. Personally I think they wrecked it but one good thing was that in addition to the usual municipal flowerbeds, they also planted some 'wild' areas that have been left to grow as nature intended so that insects can take full advantage. So, in the middle of the town square, backlit grasses.

15. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Think I'm going to need a hand judging o_O.
    The standard is exceptional already, less than a day in!

16. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Oh don't worry. It may soon go downhill.:)

17. Catriona

Beautiful!

18. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Not the shot I went out for this evening, but you don't always get what you want. In fact very rarely do you get what you want with photography! Was hoping for a solitary cloud to drift by. Maybe next time.

Tree-1.jpg

Zou, Done_rundleCams, miked and 4 others like this.
  19. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Out of the light...

Panasonic GM5_black 8GB _1040691.JPG

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.
  20. Catriona

Another from yesterday's walk.
    make for the light 2 ap.jpg

Done_rundleCams and EightBitTony like this.