1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joseph McKenzie - Stills, Edinburgh (6th Feb - 9th April, 2016)

Discussion in 'Forthcoming Events' started by AlanW, Feb 9, 2016.

1. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Just opened at Stills , I haven't been along yet (man flu!) but its on my list, it appears to be a combined exhibition with photographs by Joseph McKenzie - who I only discovered recently when I picked up a monograph in a charity bookshop - along with photographs from the Margaret Morris collection. Its not a huge exhibition space so I hope there's enough McKenzie photographs to keep me happy!

Joseph McKenzie: Women of Dundee & Photographs from the Margaret Morris collection

6 Feb 2016 - 9 Apr 2016

Stills Gallery
    Cockburn Street
    Edinburgh

Alan.

2. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Re: Joseph McKenzie - Stills, Edinburgh (6th Feb - 9th April, 20

Thanks for the heads-up Alan; I'll try to catch this next time I'm free in town.

3. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Pleased to report it is (in the tradition of Stills) excellent. As always though, wish it were a bigger venue so we could see more. :)

4. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Will most likely pop in over the weekend. I picked up a copy of "Pages of Experience, Photography 1947-87" in a charity bookshop a while ago, there's a lot of very nice images in there so hopefully this will be the first of many Joseph McKezie exhibitions coming this way.

[​IMG]

Beatle Girl, from Glasgow Gorbals Children 1964/65

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Have you been yet Alan? Interested to know what you thought of it.

6. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

Hi Zou,

Was there on Sunday, luckily I knew a bit about Joseph Mckenzie before I went - "Pages of Experience" serves as a pretty decent retrospective - I though the exhibition was a bit sparse on both background information and photographs. There wasn't really a lot to get my teeth into to be honest,"Women of Dundee" was just too narrow a subject to keep me interested, and I know McKenzie covered so much more. The photographs were culled from a 400 print collection, "Dundee - City in Transition", I'm sure there's an interesting exhibition lurking in there somewhere!

The one photo I did like was this one, but maybe because I'm familiar with it.

[​IMG]

As for Margaret Morris, I'd seen some of these photographs, or similar ones, before in a J D Fergusson documentary and they just didn't do anything for me I'm afraid.

McKenzie and Morris, it seemed an odd pairing for an exhibition!

As an aside, the one thing I do miss from the old Stills of many years ago was the bookshop they had at the door, they used to keep a pretty decent stock of books and magazines that you couldn't find elsewhere which made it worth going in for a browse - I suppose the Fruitmarket does this now to a certain extent - but it always gave me a reason to go in.

Wish I could be me positive!

Alan

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

That's why it is always interesting to get another perspective. I wasn't familiar with his work so for me it served really well as an introduction. I was happy not to have too much interpretation as the pictures spoke for themselves. Too much information can be just as bad as too little! Agree that the Margaret Morris seemed out of place, and the quality wasn't there.

Does Edinburgh Central Library have any good McKenzie books? I've not been since I moved out of town.

The Fruitmarket always has a good selection of books - was tempted by an Atget compendium last time I was there. :)

8. AlanW

AlanW Well-Known Member

There's only two McKenzie books that I know of, the one I've already mentioned "Pages of Experience", there should be a copy in the Fine Art Section of the Central Library (ref. TR647 M37), And another called "Gorbals Children, a study in photographs" which I've not seen but some of the photographs should be in PoE. To be honest, I find McKenzie a bit grim, and for someone who likes grim that's saying something, there's few light moments in his pictures (no pun intended)!

I've got the Atget book you mentioned (more like a brick than a book!), and quite a few others, there's a good selection in the Central Library. If you like Atget then have a look for Charles Marville, both photographers were covering much the same ground, literally, except Marville worked in the 1850's through to the late 70's.

Charles Marville: Impasse de la cour de Rouen, vers la rue du Jardinet. Paris VIe. Vers 1866

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Alan

Zou likes this.
  9. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Good stuff, thanks. I do like grim, so long as it isn't manipulative.