1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jokes

Discussion in 'The Games Room' started by mediaman, Jan 22, 2013.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Re: Scousers join Ferrari

I had Ken Dodd in mind, although it was his Diddymen that did it for him, lol.
    I can't drive to Liverpool without smiling to myself whenever I see the sign for Knotty Ash off the motorway!

2. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

That was my feeling. It would not have been hard to tell the joke in a less offensive way. There's a difference between telling the joke to UKIPpers in the saloon bar of the Castle and Ball and an on-line forum.

Cheers.

R.

3. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Apparently there was a sign for Knotty Ash to which some wag had added "Tax Free Zone".:)

4. Tooslow

Tooslow Well-Known Member

Oh good grief. It's called "leg pulling" or "telling a joke". Of course if you're determined to take offence... I now expect to be castigated for my unacceptable views (substitute various extremist words for "unacceptable").

Anyway, it's out of date as pit stops are about 3 seconds now and Nicole wotsername has toddled off.

John

5. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I consider that the OP is disgraceful - why pick on Ferrari?

6. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

There was a time when many pubs had a men's bar. since they have been discontinued the standard of humour in the Lounge bars has deteriorated.
    I can remember teaching at an ex boys grammar school and once a week many of the staff, of all levels but one gender, had a get together in the men's bar of the Roker Hotel; The women were not amused.

7. Roger Hicks

That's what I mean, really. Time and place. The joke is quite funny -- but needs to be told more carefully when you don't know who's "listening". Of course there are always those who will take offence at virtually anything, but stereotypes like mean Scotsmen or Jews, or thieving Scousers, just ain't as funny as they used to be. Then again there are still those who find mother-in-law jokes to be the last word in wit.

Cheers,

R.

8. LesleySM

LesleySM Well-Known Member

I'm from one of the targets of a fair number of jokes and none of them bother me.....Yes I'm an Essex girl

But I am reminded of Dolly Patron who went asked if she was offended by the jokes about her being blonde and stupid said "I ain't stupid and I ain't blonde!"

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Dolly Parton also said "It costs a lot of money to look this cheap" or words that effect. The lady has a sense of humour.

10. Roger Hicks

There's also a big difference (as already noted by others) between making jokes against yourself and being made fun of by other people.

Cheers,

R.l

11. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

One man's joke is another man's insult.

I commented about a "joke" on another forum, I won't repeat it here but sufficient to say that the incident that occasioned it wasn't remotely funny from my perspective.

Almost all of these so called jokes make fun of some perceived characteristic of another group, a few moments thought would probably be sufficient for the originator to realise that most aren't really funny, they merely reinforce a stereotype.

Make fun of your self by all means but think long and hard before you post, please.

12. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

Shock treatment

A woman went to the doctor's office, where she was seen by a young, new doctor.
    After about 4 minutes in the examination room, the doctor told her she was pregnant.
    She burst out, screaming as she ran down the hall.
    An older doctor stopped her and asked what the problem was, and she told him her story.
    After listening, he had her sit down and relax in another room.
    The doctor marched down the hallway to the back where the first doctor was and demanded,
    "What's the matter with you? Mrs. Terry is a 59 year old widow, she has four grown children and seven grandchildren, and hasn't had sex since her husband passed away 7 years ago! Yet you told her she was pregnant?"
    The new doctor continued to write on his clipboard and without looking up said:

"Does she still have the hiccups?"

13. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

I really don't understand why humour that used to be funny is not funny now?
    Maybe the Britishness of laughing at ourselves has become diluted.

For someone like myself who spent nearly fifty years in industry, being short-sighted, bald and with a speech impediment, I often bore the brunt of many jokes. Was I upset... no. Why...? Because I knew it was all meant in good fun. I gave back as good as I got. Even my boss used to call me Knobhead...!!

I love retirement... but I miss the humour... and insults.

14. mediaman

mediaman Well-Known Member

"Bless me Father, for I have sinned. I have been with a loose girl."

The priest asks, "Is that you, little Joey Pagano?"

"Yes, Father, it is."

"And who was the girl you were with?"

"I can't tell you, Father. I don't want to ruin her reputation."

"Well, Joey, I'm sure to find out her name sooner or later so you may as well tell me now. Was it Tina Minetti?"

"I cannot say."

"Was it Teresa Mazzarelli?"

"I'll never tell."

"Was it Nina Capelli?"

"I'm sorry, but I cannot name her."

"Was it Cathy Piriano?"

"My lips are sealed."

"Was it Rosa DiAngelo, then?"

"Please, Father! I cannot tell you."

The priest sighs in frustration. "You're very tight lipped, and I admire that. But you've sinned and have to atone. You cannot be an altar boy now for 4 months. Now you go and behave yourself."

Joey walks back to his pew, and his friend Franco slides over and whispers, "What'd you get?"

"Four months vacation and five good leads..."

15. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

The dept I work in, the piss taking is unbelievable, no one is safe (No racist jokes etc) but everyone is fair game. It can get relentless, but we all have a laugh. We are grown ups.
    I know several people who have retired. None of them miss the job, but they have all missed the banter and comradie.
    The problem nowadays is people look for things that may be offensive (whether it is or not, and whether it effects them or not) and make an issue out of it for whatever reason, perhaps because they think they ought to.

16. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

And you told us that?

We'll see what we can do to oblige, Knobhead. ;)

17. AlanClifford

AlanClifford Well-Known Member

Don't be so touchy. I don't get upset about blonde jokes but that's probably because I don't understand them.

18. Roy5051

Roy5051 Well-Known Member

Oh, come on, Geoff, where's your sense of humour? I find it hard to believe you have never repeated a joke in your entire life.

19. dangie

dangie Senior Knobhead

Lovely Jubbly :D

Would the forum police allow 'Knobhead' as a username or would I have to put 'Knubhead..?'

20. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

I wouldn't push it Dangie, You still only have "Senior Member" under your user name, it could get worse ;)