1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jessops to close 15 stores in early 2013

Discussion in 'News - Discussion' started by CSBC, Jan 7, 2013.

1. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Why should anyone buy from them rather than any of the other online / mail order outlets?

A total shutdown seems to be a much more sensible option. If there is room in the market for yet another online / mail order outlet, I'm sure someone will be prepared to take the commercial risk.

2. ianwaite

ianwaite Well-Known Member

They already have the warehousing and distribution for mail order set up, by the time they get 197 stores worth of stock back to Leicester they will have months of product to capitalise on. Don't forget they have only got rid of around 10-15% of Head Office\Warehousing staff, if it was a total shut down they would not have kept so many staff at Leicester.

Regards
    Ian

3. Bawbee

Bawbee Well-Known Member

According to what I have read, the stock will be reclaimed by the suppliers.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Yes, if they are entitled to it, according to reports. Presumably a good deal may be on a sale or return basis, in which case it will still be the property of the manufacturer or their UK agents. If this is the case nobody else has any claim to it. There will be a fair amount of the own brand stuff though, so in time this is likely to find it's way into other outlets, depending who buys it up.

5. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

The administrators have to get what they can from the remains of the assetts. Can't see an online-only company emerging from the ashes. So with the demise of Jacobs and Jessops, where does that leave the UK consumer? Did Jacobs and Jessops try to outdo each other leading to the demise of both whist customers went largely unnoticed, or are margins on photographic equipment so slim that a large chain can no longer survive just by selling such equipment?

6. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

It is not solely a matter of margins on equipment, accessories always carry a larger mark up anyway. The problem is that the town or city is an expensive place to trade compared with online, consider the cost of rent, business rates, utility bills, staffing costs, advertising, insurance, not to mention the actual expense of financing the stock. Jessops having the additional costs of maintaining a central facility as well.

7. Alex1994

Alex1994 Well-Known Member

There's an online Woolworths store, I don't know who owns the name now, so an online Jessops could be likely. Highly unlikely that I'd trust them not to go bust again!

8. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

The internet is not the cheap place to trade that many people think. Compared to a bricks and mortar shop an internet shop has to have twice the turnover to achieve the same profit. There are many reasons but here are a few:
    1. Delivery costs, postage carriers etc.
    2. Customers buy the main product but not the other bits, so for a camera this could be; memory card, case, filter, etc.
    3. More returns as customers are unable to handle before buying.

9. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

1 P&P can be charged additionally, or built into the price
    2 Possibly, but if you lay your site out well, it is likely that you can sell these items as well
    3 I can't argue with that really

An internet trader does not have to employ as many staff or be sited in an area with high rent and rates. Since much is ordered electronically there is not the necessity to roster staff to cover surges in footfall.

The need for higher turnover in this case has to be covered by a higher throughput of stock at a lower margin per item, but that has always been the case, pile it high and sell it cheap being a business strategy.

10. Praktica Man

Praktica Man Member

it is unfortunate that Jessops have ceased trading but in honest opinion when the internet,digital, and the fact that traditional film photography with the secondhand equipment that they use to sell has gone, well that's the most plausible explanation
    as digital may look a technical marvel but has taken the whole level to a different concept including the way we buy. the traditional photographic equipment and the way it is purchased has finally met its death throes, thanks to technology(and I mean that with so much resentment as a traditionalist.

11. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

We tend to cite the withdrawal of secondhand sales as one of the factors in the demise of Jessops. I wonder whether this is valid, in that it takes a good deal of time, effort and expertise to deal with this side of the business. We expected to part exchange our previous equipment, but really why? I say this because if you think about items that we buy and use, how many others do we expect the seller of new items to make us an allowance on against a purchase? Cars, yes, but do we try to trade our old TV or cooker in, no.

12. thornrider

thornrider In the Stop Bath

My memory is of Jessops leading the charge to drop secondhand trade ins - possibly because a 5 megapixel camera wasn't worth anything as soon as we had 8 magapixel cameras. But this has robbed us of the sheer joy of standing in front of an independent camera shop window packed with jewel like Nikon and Leica secondhand with the occasional Alpa and Contax for extra enjoyment - all the better if they were so expensive you couldn't afford them.

13. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

One doesn't, normally, upgrade a 'fridge, freezer, TV or Washing machine. I know that in my case replacement of these items is driven entirely by the complete and absolute failure of the old one. If I can fix it I will but there comes a point where that isn't possible. On things that one does upgrade, Computers, mobile phones, HiFi, furniture etc. It is usually possible to sell the old product on in used condition or possibly trade it in.

14. thornrider

Known as "distress purchases" - I wonder if anyone has ever bought a Leica M9 as a distress purchases - a good line to sell to the wife anyway.

15. ianwaite

You might have a chance as a Post Traumatic Stress Purchase!!

16. IvorETower

IvorETower Little Buttercup

Were you thinking of trading her in? ;-)

17. thornrider

Many times - but I can't find a new model who is interested.

18. beejaybee

beejaybee Marvin

Pre traumatic, probably. (Skull dent by rolling pin is definitely trauma)

19. ianwaite

As long as he doesn't buy during her pre menstrual stress he might survive the event!

20. mark_jacobs

mark_jacobs Retired

Gentlepersons please remember that this is not the Lounge. I thank you.