1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jessops part exchange offer

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by k12pfc, Jul 25, 2017.

1. k12pfc

k12pfc Member

Hi everyone, I hope its ok to post here, I filled in an online form to get a quote for part exchanging my Sony a7 mk 1 plus 28-70mm kit lens against a Canon 7d mk2 body, the quote I received is £624 acceptable to me, now they want me to send it to them free for inspection, do you reckon they'll lower their quote in the hope I'm desperate? I'm not so would I then be expected to pay for postage? Or do you think its a fair quote, quite high coz its against a part exchange for a £1300 jobby? Thanks in anticipation.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It all depends on the company involved. Research the company and look for both positive and negative reviews. If you can't find anything then my personal opinion would be to leave it alone and go to another dealer.

3. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure Jessops describe the process on their web site and if not, I'm pretty sure a simple e-mail to them will answer your queries. You could also try Wex, who offer a collection service if they're willing to give you part exchange. In both cases you need to describe the item accurately, and I'm sure both organisations reserve the right to change their quote if the goods are different than from described.

4. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

They generally have a "book" for trade in prices but need to verify the condition of the goods. Is a normal procedure. You have to accept that they will want to inspect it.

5. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Any offer made verbally or online as a part exchange is normally subject to inspection of the goods, one person's description of condition, especially an owner may well not be the same, people do have a slight tendency to describe things as being better than they are to some degree.

6. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

The only company I've traded-in kit with was WEX and it was absolutely fine. I was completely honest about the state of the equipment that I was offering and their inspection agreed completely with my assessment and I was given the price they originally quoted.

I've no reason to think that a reputable company like Jessops would act in any other way.

Cheers, Jeff

7. k12pfc

k12pfc Member

Thanks everyone, I took the camera etc into a jessops store along with my email and the quote was honoured, I was dubious because the most LCE would offer was £490!