1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Japan

Discussion in 'Photographic Locations' started by Zou, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Back to Japan tomorrow for a fortnight. :cool: Keeping the gear minimal this time:

[​IMG]

NEX-3N + 16-50mm; Fujian 35mm f1.7 CCTV lens; adapters for checking any interesting Pentax or Nikon lenses I might stumble on; Coolpix S640 for the missus; Rollei B35; Holga. The whole lot fits in a compact shoulder bag which counts as my second allowed carry-on bag.

I haven't settled on any photo destinations, but there are several good exhibitions on in Tokyo (mostly art, but also a new Araki show at the Rat Hole Gallery) which I'll try to catch. I'll be aiming to focus on street stuff and snapshots (in the fine Japanese tradition). Also heading to the Hakushu distillery. Pictures from there may be slightly blurry... :)

2. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

Nice to see the film in there. Have a great trip, try to avoid volcanoes!

Adrian

3. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Enjoy your time there (lucky thing!). I'm considering escaping myself - but where to?

Have fun. Look forward to seeing the photos. :)

Kate

4. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Will try, but frankly it's not really in my control... I think the hardest thing to get used to will be the earthquakes/tremors.

5. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Thanks. Photos? I'll be shooting film so maybe some time next year? ;)

We'll probably do Skye again early next year. If the budget stretched further Iceland was on the agenda, but probably not. Ever been to Iceland or the Faroes?

6. Catriona

Not next year! I can't wait that long (will probably not be on this forum, even :rolleyes:)

A very close friend was in Iceland doing a tour with a friend all around the Island. I've never been. I remember when we could have gone, Iceland was considered pretty expensive, so it was always put off till next year...
    No not the Faroes either, I'm afraid, although I remember meeting someone in a guesthouse in Aberdeen when I was staying there temporarily. He was so very polite I was quite taken aback by his manners (that sounds as if I don't usually behave well, but you know what I mean - reserved in the extreme). Not easy going, but I remember some Finns were the same, until you got to know them better. :)
    Maybe I can hop over to Skye to see you when/if you visit?

Best wishes
    Kate

7. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

We experienced an earthquake in Kyoto this summer. Strange feeling being woken up on a highish floor of a hotel with it swaying side to side!
    That was a 4.9 IIRC

I would go back to Japan tomorrow if I could. Totally fell in love with the place.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2014
  8. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

I've had a couple of five point somethings whilst I was living here, can only imagine how scary the big one must have been. No quakes so far this time, but we did have a very powerful typhoon pass over today. A section of the neighbours' garage roof ended up in the in-laws' garden and lots of plants were blown over but otherwise not too bad. About half an hour later we had blue skies and temperatures back into the high twenties and sweltering humidity.

9. Catriona

Oh my! You can't escape the weather or mother nature.
    We haven't had the typhoon (yet) but pretty awful winds and rain affecting most parts of Scotland. Not done yet. We could do with some of the heat you are getting though.
    Take care but get some pictures too!

Kate

10. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I've travelled around a fair bit, but not had humidity like we had in Japan. We were there in August, it was hot, humid and then a good downpour, hot and humid again.....

I was absolutely dripping this day, admittedly we walked a fair bit, but this was around 10 am, you could wring the sweat from the t shirt. The Lynx antiperspirant certainly did not work that day

Sexy eh?

[​IMG]

11. Catriona

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  12. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

It's due to hit before we leave, but unless it rapidly speeds up or slows down it's unlikely to cause us much bother.

Bonus tonight: barbecue whilst watching a full lunar eclipse! :cool: Tokyo again tomorrow for galleries and shopping. It's a hard life, but someone's got to do it. ;)

13. Catriona

Thinking of you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bz125ww1qvs

Hope all is well.

Kate

14. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Sitting in Frankfurt airport waiting for the flight now. The typhoon passed over as expected with perfect timing and no complications. :) Some great views of Russia but I fear to low contrast to be keepers.

15. Catriona

Phew!
    Look forward to the pictures. :)

Kate