1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Jaeger-LeCoultre Compass camera - a 35mm jewel

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by gray1720, Jun 20, 2018.

1. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Extraordinary piece of kit. I've known about them for years but I've only ever seen one in the metal. It must have been in the early 1970s in a shop in what might have been the Burlington Arcade. It was in the window on a little velvet draped plinth and it was quite clear that if you needed to ask the price you couldn't afford it.

3. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Dear Adrian,

It's SERIOUSLY weird, though, and very difficult to use because it's tiny and bristles with (often unnecessary) controls. And it's designed for plates and a unique, rare, non-coupled back that doesn't take standard cassettes. I've handled one but never taken any pictures with it. Tessinas are more fun and more usable, despite the weird format and (once again) non-standard cassettes. I might just write one up for one of my sites...

Cheers,

R.

4. swanseadave

swanseadave Well-Known Member

I was not aware of such a thing as a compass camera.It looks a rather complex bit of kit.

I do recall my grandfather having a Jaeger-Le Coultre pocket watch which didn`t filter down to me sadly.
    I recall it was extremely accurate.

5. gray1720

Right up my alley then... Not that I'm ever likely to bump into one. I very nearly said in the OP "I wonder if Roger H has seen one?", too.

Adrian

6. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Well-Known Member

Also, the linked article contains several very bad errors, like getting the date of intro of the Leica wrong and knowing nothing about ortho and pan films. Coupled rangefinders first appeared in about 1915 (from Kodak, albeit on a roll-film camera) and there were many 35mm cameras before the Leica.

Cheers,

R.

7. gray1720

Yes, I spotted the one about rangefinders, though I think it says "the first rangefinder Leica" which could be read in more than one way. I did come across one of those Kodaks once, though it had been cut about to take a different size film, and I passed on it. I must confess that I skimmed the rest of the article.

Adrian

8. Terrywoodenpic

Terrywoodenpic Well-Known Member

I have handled two in my lifetime. The first was at school when a friend was given one for his birthday In 1949. so there must still have been some unsold ones around after the war. It was a complete kit in a mini leather brief case. He had one of their platinum watches the following year. It was one of those that folded over to protect the face.

The next One I saw only a few years ago, when a friend in my village showed me his camera collection. It is just the basic camera.
    He has a fairly comprehensive collection from large format to sub miniature. Many of them could do with a good dusting.