1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've got the Blues.

Discussion in 'Help Team' started by Brian, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Got the new Rollei out of the box yesterday, checked the meter against my trusty Weston and all O.K. Loaded up with the first positive film I have ever used and proceeded to take the 12 crappist pictures imaginable, well its only a test I told myself. Got back and started going through A.P. to find an E6 120 processor. Annie kept interrupting, until finally I realised she was trying to tell me that down the road not ten minutes drive is a professional lab who did a 1 hour service. Oh clever Annie. When I got them I was amazed at the quality when laid out on the lab's lightbox. Well I was amazed really that they had'come out'. However on scanning them into P.S. I realised that they were all a bit thin, O.K. maybe the 100ASA rating needed a bit of tweaking to compensate for the over exposure. But the other thing was they all had a slight blue cast. Now is this a result of the over exposure, is it a characteristic with Provia, or is it the processing? They were taken with sunshine and clouds from 1100hrs to 1200hrs almost on midsummers day so remembering that Kodak balance their film for such conditions the light shouldn't have been a problem.

The Rollei worked beautifully, a joy to use. Now where can I get one of those brighter screen replacement thingies from?

Slimey CRIPN

2. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

At risk of confirming everyones suspicions that I'm a complete ignoramus: if you've been using neg film only wouldn't you be accustomed to a blue caste get filtered out by the lab (at least in an ideal World), whereas with positive film that wouldn't happen - hence the advice to use positive if you want to see accurate results of filters.
    I haven't noticed any caste as such with Provia other than what you might expect on a bright summers day at the seaside.
    Do the slides themselves exhibit the caste or is it perhaps introduced at the scanning stage by your Canon trying to be too clever?
    I read a suggestion that if you don't have a lightbox, use your monitor - create a white screen and turn up the brightness.

Don't suppose thats much help but its given me an excuse not to start work quite yet. Somehow I don't think working from home suits me!

Pete IRIPN

3. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

No Pete, the transparencies have this slight bluish cast. I did wonder if it was normal or a result of the overexposure. As I said the slides are a little overexposed. Not much but if you can imagine the reverse i.e a negative film I would guess at about half a stop. However I can eliminate the cast in photoshop but playing about both colour balance and hue /saturation don't seem to be exactly right. I expect I am the weak link in the chain...However what you say re the 'seaside' shots is interesting because although my piccies were taken in Leeds it was that sort of light, do you reckon a filter would have helped?

Slimey CRIPN

4. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

I'm going to make a presumption that as you do a lot of black and white, and have only used neg film, some of the colour procedures aren't springing readily to mind - so apologies if I'm wrong.
    I use a Skylight 1B filter on both my main lenses, as protectors and also because quote from the Hoya brochure "reduces the excessive bluishness that frequently occurs in outdoor colour photography, especially in open shade under a clear, blue sky. The absorption peak is in the range which corresponds to the film's green spectrum. This means outstanding outdoor shots with superb colour balance and clarity under all conditions. Also keeps skin tones free of coloured reflections from nearby objects such as the shade of trees".

So hopefully its a simple as that, rather than a faulty batch of Provia etc

Personally I don't like to use filters at all other than the aforementioned, and occasionally a graduated for a bright sky or a polariser. I don't even like to tinker too much with the natural in Photoshop even though I feel I know a lot about it now. As a B&W man I doubt you have such hangups. Me I'm still stuck in the thatched cottage / every hair on the babys head stage.

Hoya product details are at www.introphoto.co.uk

Pete IRIPN

5. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

I think you have hit the nail on the head. You are quite right I have never used a roll of transparency film in my life. However with the move to M/F I thought I should give it a whirl. I never use filters but your suggestion is probably the way to go but I doubt if the filter you mention would be available in Rollei bayonet fit. I have posted a straight from the scanner image on my gallery page to show what I mean. Its a straight no manipulation low resolution example to show the problem.

I tried posting it here but have forgotten what sequence the < SRC IMG = > or is it SMC goes, lost the bit of paper Will gave me.

Slimey CRIPN

6. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Slimey,

You need to type [ image ] (without the spaces) before the URL for the image and then [ / image ] again without the spaces.

That should work!

[​IMG]

Fen.

7. dogbyte

dogbyte In the Stop Bath

Perhaps Lee or Cokin would have a suitable filter assembly.
    Just remembered as well - Provia 100's place in the universe is for the accurate recording of lots of detail without grain. Sometimes it can look at bit unsaturated. Thats where Velia comes in. But examples I've seen demonstrate Provia capturing appreciably more shadow detail than Velvia. I note one of the people in the Digital Room has started using Vuescan to get multisampling.
    The example you posted shows blue on my monitor - at first I thought you may be hypercritical of the first role. I'd say its the highlights that need the editing rather than the gamma or shadows.

Pete IRIPN

8. parisian

parisian Well-Known Member

Hoya and Cokin do them

Brian,
    Both of these manufacturers can provide you with Skylight 1B filtration.
    Cokin do an adaptor (only on the P range for some reason - unless it covers both lenses?) and Hoya while they do not provide direct bayonet fit filters do produce a bayonet adaptor for their filters to fit Rollei. I had 2 of them years gone by and unfortunately let them go when family came along. One was pre war and worked wonderfully despite it's age the other was a 3.5. great machines.

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

9. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Cheers Fen by golly it worked! anyway now you can all see why I've got the blue meanies.
    My favourite building in the background, Carlberg-Tetleys. In the foreground they are erecting 150 luxury apartments the joke? 60% of them are sold and Barratts are still on site clearance!!!! and I suppose they start at £150,000 for a bed sit[​IMG]

Slimey CRIPN

10. TimF

TimF With as stony a stare as ever Lord Reith could hav

I'd agree that its probably skylight caused by clouds. A skylight filter would probably do the trick, but some (including me for my Canon lenses) prefer an 81A as it gives a bit more warmth.

An aside - bloody luxury apartments! /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif/img/wwwthreads/frown.gif Why don't these b……s build affordable places for ordinary folks (now I'm sounding like David!).

<font color=red>Is it because I's Jedi?</font color=red>

11. TimF

Re: Hoya and Cokin do them

Sadly I think the Hoya adapter (which can be got from Speed Graphics) is only in a bayonet 1 to 46mm size.

12. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Yep, a filter seems to be the answer but where the hell to get one? I thought Peter had come up with the answer but yes of course it is a bayonet 2, so thats out the window. I know I can eliminate it in P.S. but I would really like to do without that. Somebody MUST make an adaptor on the other hand perhaps not.

Agree wholeheartedly Tim, the cost of house building in the last two years has risen around 6% even in Leeds houses have gone up about 20% . I suppose land costs have risen somewhere between the two. Some people are going to come badly unstuck, again. What chance has the ordinary first time buyer got and what people forget is that if the first time buyer can't then nobody else can.

Slimey CRIPN

13. TimF

Perhaps the answer is to find a garbage bayonet 2 filter, remove the glass and get someone to fit a new one of your choice?

14. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

You might well be right on that one Tim. I am going to a camera auction tomorrow

I shall keep a look out. I would also like one of those brighter screen jobbies. Geoff has given me a contact address for a supplier in Australia but so far no reply, any ideas?

Slimey CRIPN

15. parisian

Re: Hoya and Cokin do them

Sorry, wrong again then. I spoke to Intro 2020 the importers this afternoon and they said it was OK but then again I didn't talk about differing bayonets or the limits in filter size /img/wwwthreads/frown.gif

Those whom the Gods wish to destroy, they first make mad/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

16. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

£13.95 from http://www.srbfilm.co.uk, Brian, for a Bay2 - 46mm adaptor - Page 19 of their price list!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Geoff

17. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

Thanks to all who have contributed their answers and opinions. Have E-Mailed the filter people and learnt why I have the blues and how to post a picture . So thanks guys./img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Slimey CRIPN

18. Canonball

Canonball Well-Known Member

Brian, Try:-

Morco
    20 Oak Street Business Park
    Mansfield, Notts
    NG18 3HQ England
    Tel: 0162-3422828

They appear to be the current UK distributors for the Intenscreen/Beattie jobbies for your 'flex!/img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

When you get one, drop it in one day and I'll fit it for you!/img/wwwthreads/wink.gif

Geoff

19. parisian

20. Brian

Brian Venerable Elder

You and Peter seem to have come up with the answer within one minute of each other. I have E-Mailed them now awaiting their reply. Thanks you lot.

Going to the auction tomorrow geoff but I reckon the funds might be a bit depleted by this thread. Oh what the hell,its only money and shrouds don't have pockets. /img/wwwthreads/smile.gif

Slimey CRIPN