1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've created a new Flickr Group for Street Photography in Northern Eng

Discussion in 'Web Sites of Interest' started by Barney, Feb 26, 2011.

1. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

NorthernStreetPhotography

I'm not sure whether there's anyone esle here from the region apart from me who's into street photography, but thought I'd publicise it just in case.

At the moment there's just me in there on my lonesome, but hopefully someone will come and join me soon.

2. Ephemeral

Ephemeral Well-Known Member

I've joined Barney, though I do little street photography as a rule, I will add what I do take to it

3. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

Street photography is something that I haven't really tried, but it's something that's increasingly interesting me - so I've joined as a 'lurker', if/when I get something worth posting, I'll do so but I expect to be a viewer only at the moment...

4. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Barney - stick a post in the Leeds flickr group . There are a good few street photographers there.

5. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I had thought that Phil, but thought it would stepping onto someone else's turf.

Of course if somebody else were to post a link, that would be different. [​IMG]

6. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Steve. As T'Member number one you get special privileges namely a Fat Rascal next time you're in Harrogate. :D

7. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Nothing wrong with lurking Paul!

8. NosamLuap

NosamLuap Rebmem Roines

That's not what my restraining order says... ;)

9. Just_Dave

Just_Dave Well-Known Member

Just joined Barney, I'll post a couple of shots in the group gallery :)

10. PhilW

PhilW Well-Known Member

Tis done

11. Just_Dave

Ive left the group now, apparently my street portraits with a long lens, arent street photography

12. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Thanks Phil. :)

13. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

I don't know why you say 'apparently' Dave. The definition of street photography for the purpose of the group is clearly stated in the 'about this group' section so should have come as no surprise. Not only that but I took the time to email you to say why I hadn't accepted the images.

I don't know why you reference your lens either but seeing as you did, there are many who consider that images taken with a telephoto lens can't be classed as street photography but, ironically enough, I don't care what kit was used to take an image, just whether the image works or not.

All in all your post just sounds like sour grapes to me.

14. Just_Dave

Yes sorry Barney you did take the time to email me thanks for that,

Straight portraits, either posed or unposed, aren't street photography to me,though there are plenty of other groups which disagree.
    End Qoute

I guess in that respect 2 weren't your idea of street, as they were close ups and showed little of their environment,
    I know what you mean about the moment and environment though, but they were on the street, well park un-posed, but to me it is street photography, so we'll have to differ there

All the best for your group in the future :)

15. Fen

Fen Well-Known Member

Re: I've created a new Flickr Group - Moderators Note

MODERATORS NOTE:

Gentlemen. Personal Argument. Between you two, take it elsewhere as the AP Forums is not the place to discuss it. Thankyou.

16. Just_Dave

Its not an argument Fen

I just replied to Barneys post, to say thanks for the email and I did agree that they werent his idea of SP and to say all the best in future for his group :)

17. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Indeed, I've no argument, and I've further clarified the 'about this group' page to hopefully avoid any confusion in the future.

Out of interest Dave, which two shots do you think are straight portraits not tied in with the environment? To me they all are but then I know what I was thinking when I pressed the shutter! Maybe they're more subtle than I thought?

18. Just_Dave

Hi Barney

LOL their all tied to the environment, but the close ups of the man and the woman have very little BG, the man stood daydreaming, waiting with his drum has more environment and context :) as he was probably wondering were the rest of the band were LOL

19. Barney

Barney Well-Known Member

Sorry Dave, I think I'm going mad, I thought you meant two of mine, not yours. :eek:

I have deliberately gone for a specific definition for this group to maintain a certain style and to set it apat from the plethora of other street photogrpahy groups. It's a challenge though, as there are a hell of a lot of images on Flickr tagged as street, but few that would fit my definition so I'm struggling to find suitable images to invite in to the pool. Having said that, once I do and there's a theme running through the pool hopefully people will be inspired to shoot with this style in mind.

Either that or it will just be me on my Jack Jones! :eek: :D

20. Just_Dave

:D No probs
    Your not the only one I look out for stuff like that.

Barney had a re read and looked at your images I get the type of shot you want I think,

Heres one that vaguely fits the bill the frames before tying his shoe lace the frames after standing up

[​IMG]
    MMM Whats he looking at Albert Dock Liverpool by Just Daves Photos, on Flickr

Dave