1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've bought another photo book...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Malcolm_Stewart, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

Sorry, not sure where to put this:

Visiting the National Archives at Kew last week, I discovered :
    "Panoramas of Lost London",
    1870-1945 Hardcover – Illustrated, 11 May 2017

and being impressed by the tonality and general quality of the images, I bought a copy. It's large, heavy and unwieldy, but nowhere else have I seen so many photos of lost London streets and buildings. Highly recommended, particularly if you've ever done any large format, as I have. Naturally, "Black & White", but what super blacks....

2. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Interesting, I'd love that for Xmas. £60 in Waterstones I see, is that what you paid?

3. Malcolm_Stewart

Malcolm_Stewart Well-Known Member

No way - I got my copy for a little under £30 post paid. Do a web search.

4. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

A real treat I discovered in one of those discount shops, was 'Burton Holmes Travelogues.' Between 1892 - 1952 he and eventually a small team of still and cine camera photographers, roamed the world taking images while he wrote up extensive notes for his live talks. From very early on he employed a team of artists (usually Chinese) who tinted by hand the projected images which were then shown in the form of lectures. Stunning images, whilst the tinting was also to a very high standard. I think I paid £25 for my copy.

http://www.burtonholmes.org/

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  5. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

Makes my £2.99 copy of Fi McGhee's Photographers and Their Images (hardback, in good condition, original dustwrapper) from a local charity shop last week look like not very much at all. :(

Ah well, I like it and the pictures are pretty good - though the 'favourites' are not always the sort of thing you'd expect (Snowdon's natterjack toad?o_O).