1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I've been bad...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by dream_police, Apr 5, 2019.

1. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

I have only ever had one speeding conviction in almost 40 years of driving and that was many years ago.

Yesterday I had 2 letters in the post from France. It turns I got caught speeding in my own UK reg car twice in October 2018 (one I was aware of as it flashed me head on in the pitch black and scared the shit out of me). The other one I was over by a small amount on a motorway the following day.

I didn't realise that we were actually exchanging info with the EU. I was quite clearly wrong.

At least they make it easy to pay, there is an app to download and you just have to scan a QR code. So I am €135 lighter today. I just hope there aren't anymore.

So be careful when driving abroad, the buggers can get you at home!

2. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

Oh dear!
    I wonder if that will be one thing which will disappear with Brexit? Ha! At last we find an advantage to leaving.
    Does it do anything to your licence as well? Hope not!
    Next time, you'll just have to put up with them all hooting their horns at you as you glide sedately on. :)

3. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

He's been a bad boy! Here in Castle AP there can be only one punishment...!

Adrian

4. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Oh no! Not the sheep? Please say it isn't the sheep! :cool:

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

I though for Nige it was horses?

Which reminds me... I remember reading about the museum who received a speeding ticket for their Scammell Mechanical Horse, reported doing 90mph on the M20 latte one night.
    This link will reveal why they were cynical, especially as they had CCTV and could prove that it was safely stowed away at the time of the alleged offence. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scammell_Mechanical_Horse

It turned out to have been a Belgian motorcyclist trying to get to a ferry on time...

Adrian

Catriona likes this.
  6. Andrew Flannigan

I believe it has been shown that he really likes horses... ;)

7. Catriona

Just put a CD badge on the car next time!
    [​IMG]

dream_police likes this.
  8. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Some might say the French have seen English motorists as cash cows for sometime. What new regulations have they snuck in this week so they can issue fines?:p

9. dream_police

It's not new legislation. It has been around for some time where all member states can share info. The UK didn't sign up until a few years ago apparently. They have 12 months to ask DVLA for info and they are obliged to provide it. I would have thought it would have gone in the too hard to do tray. Obviously not.
    Luckily, we don't get penalty points.

Catriona likes this.
  10. dream_police

I will certainly take more care when I drive through France later on this year.

I just wish they had sent the photo. It would have been funny seeing my startled face, as it really did scare the hell out of me. Not exactly safe either.

11. Catriona

Polaroids on the number plates? It does seem to be rather dangerous if the flash is so bright.

12. dream_police

It was following a delayed, diverted ferry to France. A subsequent motorway closure with no diversion signs. My sat nav diverted me back onto the motorway I had just left but back at the beginning, therefore had to pay the same tolls twice. Ended back at the closure so consulted a map. By now it was not far off midnight. I had left home in the UK at 6am. I admit I was driving a tad fast as i wanted to get to my hotel that I had been expecting to get to at 2130, but I ended up in a different port. It was pitch black, no one else on the road and was a bit heavy footed on the country road. To then get flashed by a forward facing camera is not best.

Catriona likes this.
  13. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

Well there you go then. The coffee was getting to him and he needed to find a loo Fast.

14. Catriona

Not a good journey!
    The worst we had were two ladies who had stepped onto a zebra crossing, then decided to stop and have a chat. I kid you not, we waited quite a while, then said sod it! That was after being diverted to another port and we were in a hurry too!
    Hope they let you into the hotel!

15. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

In the days of my misspent youth I had big flashgun on the bumper close to the number plate, disguised as a fog light, with an optical trigger peering through the radiator grill.

Saved me no end of pain. :D

… and dream police can't nick me, as I carefully avoided saying what country it was in. :p

16. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Oddly enough I was just about to mention that myself - I recall that you used to be able to buy special slave flash kits that were designed to sit next to your number plate and overexpose traffic camera pictures.

I also remember a chap in the pub extolling the virtues of a special spray that he'd bought that you applied to your number plate and that was supposed to stop traffic cameras from being able to take pictures. I sauntered out of the pub, fitted a flash to my camera, took a picture of his number plate, walked back in and showed it to him - he was most upset. I gather he'd paid quite a lot of money for what was essentially a tin of aerosol varnish!

Cheers, Jeff

17. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

I wasn't meaning the speed limits are new just that they also make you carry stuff in the car and can fine you if you don't have the likes of a breathalyser or high visibility jacket, iirc.

18. Andrew Flannigan

I was having a cup of tea in a service area some years ago and looking out the window as you do when bored. A bloke started to get into his van when a couple of coppers ambled up to have a word. Obviously I couldn't hear what was going on but the bloke was starting to get a bit upset. One of the coppers went to the back of the van and bent down to fiddle with something. He got up again and walked back to the driver. When the copper held his hand up I could see he was holding a largish camera flash.

Pity I couldn't hear the van driver's excuse. ;) :D

19. dream_police

Yes. That is the same for most of Europe for their own citizens. High vis jackets, first aid kits, warning triangles, spare bulbs, breath kits for France. In Spain, if you wear specs then you should carry a spare pair. There are probably others, but I carry that stuff in my car when I travel.

20. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

What happens if you don't pay? Any appeal process?