1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its your car dad

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Gordon_McGeachie, Aug 10, 2007.

1. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

My grandfather had an NSU Prinz in the late 60s. :cool:

2. Lounge Lizard

Lounge Lizard Well-Known Member

Cross that car with a Ford Galaxy and you'll have a Dixons-supplied telephoto lens. :D

3. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

The height of their automotive engineering was, not very high

[​IMG]

4. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

You should not underestimate Skoda, they now make a very fine car indeed, I have a 16V outside my house at the moment and it is actually fun and well equipped. The fact that Skoda is now part of VW doing no harm at all.

5. welshwizard645

welshwizard645 Well-Known Member

Bought out by GM I think, factory makes Astras....
    When I was at college 20 years ago my landlady thought FSO's were wonderful, she was Polish :)

I think the Polski-Fiat was based on the 125, just slightly larger than the 124.

6. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

They fit a proper radio in a Skoda?

7. Lounge Lizard

Yep - just stroke that crystal with your cats whisker! :D

8. TH-Photos

TH-Photos Well-Known Member

Make the most of it now before digital is the only option. :( :(

9. Burgy

Burgy In the Stop Bath

A friend of mine has a VRS (i think) 200bhp capable of 140 mph and quick to 60 in 7 seconds, it handles well and drives nicely, thanks to a lot of input from VW/Audi.

My local plod also have a number of them as unmarked traffic cars

10. Mibron

Mibron Well-Known Member

The Wankel might have been a failure at it's inception but not today. The design was brilliant and the only company to keep faith was Mazda. Today the car is brilliant and still is much cheaper than it's rivals.
    Mibron.

11. ChrisBrookes

ChrisBrookes Well-Known Member

Brings the memories of my Wednesbury childhood flooding back !! AAhhhhhhhhh (I wish I could get amnesia!!)

12. Lounge Lizard

..but still drinks fuel like a fish. :(

13. PentaxManiac

PentaxManiac Well-Known Member

Oldbury, Rowley Regis, Smethwick, Tipton, Wednesbury and West Bromwich - the six towns of Sandwell, no less.

14. RonM

RonM Alpha Napper

Sounds like the Octavia Vrs, Strathclyde Traffic also have a few unmarked units stooging about. There are also a few bits and bobs from Porsche (another VW/Audi group company) on them.

Unfortunately I don't have an Octavia Vrs, I've only got a Fabia Vrs :D, as standard will still do 130mph, 0-60 in quick and has delivered upto 60 MPG, If I were to get it re-mapped it would be as fast as the Octavia Vrs (i.e. 0 - no licence in under 11 secs)

15. Rhys

Rhys Sasquatch

..and you get to say 'Wankel'

The Norton F1 and Commander had rotary engines as well.

16. Hotblack

Hotblack Dead Horse Flogger

I admit to owning a Skoda. An Octavia 1.9 Diesel Estate. Don't laugh. It's reasonably quick, pretty fuel efficient (50+ mpg without trying), air con, 6 CD autochanger etc and loads of room to take all our diving and camping equipment at the same time. It's not the most exciting car in the world but it's really practical and sticks to the road really well.

17. Lounge Lizard

I've got a diesel too but it pushes out 207 bhp.

18. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

The Trabbi probably by quite a margin is the worst of the bunch, due to it's anti-enviroment 'Credentials' of a resin, strengthened by wool bodywork which is almost impossible to dispose of safely (and it's 2-stroke engine designed to run on a mixture of heating-oil and parrafin!

In second place, should be the utterly revolting Invacar, (or Blue Spazmobile) cited by Sir Stirling Moss as 'probably the most lethal device I have ever had the misfortune to encounter'. The fact that AC, of Cobra fame, manufactured a version, beggars belief!

In third place is probably the Reliant Robin, but I'm pretty sure that there must be a number of other 'contenders' from outside the Uk.

Regarding Skoda, this is a company which has an enviable reputation in the heavy engineering world, and I wouldn't like to be on the receiving end in a 'Shoot-out' with a Skoda owner, using their WW1 product, a 30.5cm mortar! ...

19. Nod

Nod Well-Known Member

A pal of mine used to be a mechanic who worked on the blue ACs. He also had a Kawasaki Z1300 engine lying around in his garage. Fortunately we managed to talk him out of the unholy hybrid he was planning by telling him that even HE wasn't crazy enough to mate the two!

20. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Maybe he was inspired by this lunatic? ....

[​IMG]

Of course it was doomed to failure ....