1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Official...I'm old.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Aug 24, 2017.

1. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

I learned in a Hillman Minx 1964, then Vauxhall Viva. First car was an Austin 1100. No PAS, factory fitted wing mirrors, undersealing, seatbelts, heated rear window, radio, electric windows, central locking, can't remember what it did have.

2. Fishboy

Fishboy Well-Known Member

Ha! I almost learned to drive in a Vauxahall Viva.

I say 'almost' learned because my first and only lesson lasted from the front door of my house to the junction of Ten Acres Lane and Briscoe Lane - 0.85 miles in total.

Cheers, Jeff

3. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

And the Viva fell apart?

4. MickLL

MickLL Well-Known Member

This morning I intended to check my tyre pressures. In front of me was an old lady doing her tyres and making a 'meal' of it.

I found myself getting irritated. Then I realised that she was probably younger than I am. Then I began praying that folk don't see me in the light that I saw her - but they probably do.

I'm old but don't really feel it.

MickLL

5. Dorset_Mike

Dorset_Mike Grumpy Old Fart

OK so who claims the oldest's hat? Any advance on my 83 last March?

Geren and Catriona like this.
  6. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

I think it's yours, Granddad!

S

TheFatControlleR likes this.
  7. DaveS

DaveS Well-Known Member

That's the mk2 version with the horizontal boot handle. We had a mk1 as our first family car, lots of fond memories of that old bus.

8. Craig20264

Craig20264 Well-Known Member

Learned to drive and passed my test in a Vauxhall Chevette saloon. Strangely enough I spotted one a couple of weeks ago, albeit the far sexier hot hatch model!

9. dream_police

dream_police Well-Known Member

Fixed that for you.

Craig20264 likes this.
  10. jchrisc

jchrisc Well-Known Member

I never had any driving lessons, (but plenty of critical comments from friends who accompanied me while I had "L" plates). I had been riding motor cycles for some years when I bought my first car.

I took my car driving test in Hitchin in 1956. There was no written test at that time. The roads were comparatively quiet and I suspect that the whole thing was somewhat easier than it is now. Having said that, my current car is much easier to drive than the ones with which I started.

I took a voluntary test when I was 75; there was a lot of moaning about older drivers at the time. I passed it without any difficulty. I suppose I ought to do another one soon.

11. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

These days I coulld just about drive this beauty.

tractor 2 ap.jpg

12. Geren

Geren Well-Known Member

Ah yes, I remember carving my first wheel. They said it would never catch on.

(I'm just a young 'un really!)

I learned to drive in a Renault 5, the advert for which ran something like 'What's Yours Called?' Mine was called Faith. I had faith, based on nothing in particular, that it would keep running long enough for me to pass my test. As it happened, the faith was misplaced, not because the car disintegrated but because a crisis of confidence had me failing my test twice and giving up on the idea of ever driving until I was 27. By then I'd progressed to a Rover Montego. Dreadful car.

13. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Yes, given that, like the Old Testament Prophet Moses, you keep taking the tablets, then you will be 84 next March:rolleyes:

steveandthedogs likes this.
  14. RobertCoombes

RobertCoombes Well-Known Member

Owned and learned to drive 1939 Rover14. Crash box, free wheel and hinged screen. Air conditioned via foot well vents.

15. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

With the amount of traffic on our roads today, isn't it about time the eyesight test also included tunnel vision? That would probably reduce the number of drivers ... Mind you, I suppose the tax-man might not like the loss of revenue. The cynic in me thinks that the main reason why the Duty on fuel is regularly increased is to compensate for the loss of revenue from tobacco?

16. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

Ah, the Hillman Imp ... It's engine was originally designed to pump water for the Fire brigade ... Not too sure if this was as a separate appliance, or installed in some fire engines. Who remembers the Sunbeam Tiger, an Alpine on steroids with a Ford v8 under the bonnet? Apparently developed by Shelby, who devised the AC Cobra.

17. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A neighbour had one of those in the 60s and very impressive it looked until I saw it in the bloke's drive with the nearside front wing more or less hanging off. I was friendly with his son who told me that dad was going through a mid-life crisis. It was now all the more critical in that the car was on 3rd party only insurance. :cool:

18. miked

miked Well-Known Member

[
    Ah, yes. I seem to recall it had a rather raucous engine noise (akin to a herd of farting rhinos). It's advertising slogan could have been, "Put a tank in your Tiger!"

19. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

Ah yes.....Methusalem's children.

Apart from that, I passed my test in a Standard 10.....in snow which allowed me to creep around the streets. The examiner had his clipboard propped against the door lever so that, at the emergency stop, his door flew open!

Lynn

20. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

I passed in my Standard 10 too. Affectionately known as the blob!