1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's Official...I'm old.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MJB, Aug 24, 2017.

1. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I know I'm now officially old as I can now walk down a line of vintage tractors saying "I used to drive one of them... and one of them... that one too...". Hell, even the car my driving instructor had is now in the vintage line-ups!

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

When I learned to drive one of these was the latest thing out of the showroom!

Panasonic G2_two 8GB 04 1030056.JPG

Mark101 and Catriona like this.
  3. daft_biker

daft_biker Action Man!

Life before turbos? It's a wonder anybody got anything done!:D

4. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Is that an A45?

Graeme

5. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I learned to drive in an Austin 1100 so possibly I am not yet old.

6. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

I learned in a 1947 Hillman Minx.

7. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

Keep dreaming . It was a mid-80s Datsun Cherry (The box shaped one, not the cool looking 70s coupè) that I saw.

I think vehicles qualify as vintage at 25 years, which explains the Ford 7840 tractor from the early 90s amongst the Fordsons and Fergies of post-war vintage.

8. MJB

MJB Well-Known Member

I was one year old when the Ford 7000 tractor came out with a factory fitted turbo.

9. Catriona

Catriona Well-Known Member

I learned to drive in an old Fiat, double declutch on an airfield. Fun!

10. steveandthedogs

steveandthedogs Well-Known Member

Ye gods, then what does that make SWMBO's 1978 MF 590? Which is still the working tractor, though a trifle rusty in parts. As in the roof fell off...

S

11. miked

miked Well-Known Member

Well, you may all be of a certain age, but once, a very long time ago, I ran over the man in front. The chap carrying the red flag..:oops:

Catriona likes this.
  12. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

A40 Farina. Here's another one...

Panasonic G2_two 8GB 04 1030052.JPG

13. Footloose

Footloose Well-Known Member

"Oi! That was my son!"

Sign seen in shop -
    'Credit only available to those who come in with their Grandparent's Parents.'

14. Trannifan

Trannifan Well-Known Member

The A40.........I used to have one.........the front dampers had seen better days so that the front end could oscillate in a very interesting, and not to say, lively manner!

Lynn

15. miked

miked Well-Known Member

It was an A40 in which I took my test, at the Wimbledon test centre - around the time Rod 'The Rocket' Laver was a tennis racketeer or something.

16. TheFatControlleR

TheFatControlleR :Devil's Advocaat: Forum Admin

I remember one summer an A40, the worse for wear, abandoned on some industrial waste ground when I was a kid.

After several days of it not moving (other than a bunch of us climbing all over it, inside and out) we took it in turns to drive it round, undisturbed by anyone, even passersby, until it ran out of juice.

It was the first car I ever drove, and only needed a penknife to get it started. :)

17. AGW

AGW Well-Known Member

Ah A40... I must have invented the A45 in my head! Thats the beast i learned to drive in too! I loved the flipper indicator switch in the centre of the dash.

Graeme

18. IvorCamera

IvorCamera Well-Known Member

Dick Turpin learnt me to drive in a coach, I never looked back!

19. SXH

SXH Well-Known Member

I started feeling old(ish) when I got the notification for my first Bowel Screen (oh, what fun!),. Then I got eligible for a Winter Fuel Payment. Next year (psychopaths in charge of the nuclear button permitting) I get my pension... :(

20. SqueamishOssifrage

SqueamishOssifrage Well-Known Member

You people had to take a driving test? Well I never! :D