1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Its Good to Talk

Discussion in 'Appraisal Gallery' started by IvorCamera, Jan 10, 2019 at 8:41 PM.

1. IvorCamera

IvorCamera In the Stop Bath

This is one of my favourite places for a catch up, and a few snaps of course! what do you think?
    Its Good to Talk!.jpg

2. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

Very nice Ivor, I like the foreground interest and the city skyline, nice light too, the placement of the two guys unsettles me a tiny bit but not sure how you could have framed it differently

IvorCamera likes this.
  3. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

I like this a lot. Good interaction between the subjects and they are placed spot on relative to the water. The city skyline makes a nice backdrop, the reflections on the water are just right and the light is beautifully subtle.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

IvorCamera likes this.
  4. Nikolay

Nikolay Member

Beautiful composition and subject matter!!!

IvorCamera likes this.
  5. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Although you can't beat an unspoiled coastline this is good way of showing how development goes! Where is it?

IvorCamera likes this.
  6. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

Have you never watched the TV show "Benidorm", then?

7. IvorCamera

Benidorm, Costa Blanca, during the winter months....50 years ago it was just a fishing village..We find this the best time to go, sometimes the lighting is unbelievable, thanks for your comments...and interest...

8. IvorCamera

We hate that show it does nothing for Benidorm, the first series was ok but after that it went downhill fast, as I don't watch tv much these days I don't really know what's happening now!

9. PeteRob

No. Never heard of it.

10. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

It's a sitcom that makes remorseless fun of "typical" English visitors to the place, and obviously plays all the stereotypes as hard as possible for a laugh, but occasionally, the town itself is the star of the show. Must have been a very lovely place once, just look at the setting.

And it's a very nice shot, of course; nice exposure, good balance of picture elements, very evocative.

11. PeteRob

Thank you for the explanation. Maybe it dates from when I was away from the UK for 5 years.

I totally agree.

The only such development I have seen is at Knokke on the Belgian coast when I took a day trip from Brussels - on a summer Sunday - with seemingly the entire family population of Brussels and their buckets and spades. I've never seen a train so packed, impossible even to move your feet and stand up straight. That is just miles and miles of mid-rise apartment blocks bordering the beach.

12. Benchista

Benchista Which Tyler

I made the mistake of driving through Knokke-Heist about 15-20 years ago on a sunny Sunday in August... took hours.

13. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

I can see something that unsettles me Ivor. It may be an optical illusion or there may be some technical reason somebody can explain. Which is why I raise it.
    As the towers go around the bay they start off looking upright but the further they get around the bay the more they seem to lean.

14. PeteRob

I can't really see a problem. I'd need to overlay a fine grid to be sure, but I think it is an illusion.

FYI the way it can happen is if a short focal length lens is used and the camera is pointed down it makes verticals diverge and if is pointed up it makes them converge. This is called keystoning. If there is a strong vertical at the edge of the frame used in framing the shot and the camera is not horizontal it is possible to end up with a small rotation. The combination can do strange things across the frame.

15. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

Yeah i understand keystoning Pete but thats usually visible across the frame. The tower on the right looks straight but to my eye there is increasing lean at you go around the bay.
    Maybe just me, im OCD for stuff like that. Spend half my time straightening pictures on walls.

16. IvorCamera

Knotty and PeteRob, yes you are both right! there are converging verticals as you go around the picture, the lens I use on my travels is a 18-55mm nikkor its not the best of lenses on some pictures, on this type of picture with a lot of verticals it can be a nightmare trying to correct them afterwards, I thought I had got away with this one but I had not ,I have had another go and perhaps this is a bit better. On a bigger monitor there's still a couple now leaning the other way, after the slightest of adjustments. Thanks for the comments and the interest in one of my pictures!
    Its Good to Talk!.jpg

17. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

To my eye thats much better. Just out of interest were the people sitting there or did you place them as models?

I think its a really interesting shot. It says a lot about the resort.

18. IvorCamera

No the two people were there having a chat probably about Brexit..:) This is Levante Beach its lovely just to sit there and watch the sun going down and soon the town will be buzzing but it is much quieter in the winter months, in the summer months you would not be able to get anywhere near this spot! I have several other pictures taken here in much the same lighting........

19. Knotty

Knotty Active Member

Ive been there with golf trips. It would be a great place (in town) for long exposure shots. Im thinking the catapult ride and the clubs.

20. RovingMike

RovingMike Crucifixion's a doddle...

Think I'm seeing pincushion now on the edit. Didn't really mind the wideangle falling outwards, but I'd just do some housekeeping on the framing and tighten it all up a bit.

[​IMG]