1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this too cheap?

Discussion in 'General Equipment Chat & Advice' started by RogerMac, Nov 3, 2017.

1. RogerMac

RogerMac Well-Known Member

I decided to look for a new laptop that would replace both my small portable and also my ageing desktop. Essential attributes are a Terra Byte disc (to enable me to do easy backups of the external hard disc I keep my photos on) and a large RAM would also be prefered I expect to use it for photo processing (FastStone and Elements) plus all the usual Email , Facebook etc. activities that one does. Good battery life will be appreciated..

This one from John Lewis seems to fit the bill exactly
    https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-laptop-intel-celeron-8gb-ram-1tb-15-6-/p3249219?colour=Marine Blue but is a lot cheaper than its rivals. can anyone think of a good reason why I should not just get it?

It is out of stock at the moment but they have promised to inform me when it is back in.

2. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

No disc drive, is that a problem?

3. RogerMac

On my reading it seems to have a 1TB hard drive. Unless of course I am missing something

4. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

I think he means DVD/Blu-Ray drive

5. RogerMac

Ah yes. No that's not a problem in fact an advantage as it reduces the weight. I have an external optical disc drive I could use in emergencies.

6. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Looks like a good basic machine at a reasonable price. On top of which you get John Lewis's standard 2 year guarantee. I'd buy it.

7. Zou

Zou Well-Known Member

Is Celeron up to image processing?

caledonia84 and EightBitTony like this.
  8. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

Check the angle of view of the screen. I have a cheap Levono ( previously IBM) and the screen is so sensitive to viewing angle that it is worse than useless for photo editing. The low price laptops tend to come with short power cables compared to the workstation I had when I was working. If I want to transfer stuff to my desktop and use both keyboards I have to run an extension cable out.

9. Bazarchie

Bazarchie Well-Known Member

Do you need a laptop rather than a desktop?

I don't like laptops for photo editing, mainly for the reason mentioned by Pete. I have also gone for better processors than Celerons, rightly or wrongly.

I suppose you could always use a monitor when at home.

10. RogerMac

That was part of the plan but I seem to rattle round the country so much that a a much better one than my present one seem desirable. lso I am quite set on a large HD so that I can easily dump my external drive to it and out again to the spare HD giving me a double backup

11. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

You should be able to copy between hard drives directly. Some laptops don't charge from all the USB ports so if you use portable drives (rather than powered) see if the shop will let you check you check that you can copy from every usb port.

12. EightBitTony

EightBitTony Well-Known Member

I'd echo @Zou - a Celeron is going to be sluggish if you run more than one full application at a time, in my view.

13. spinno

spinno Well-Known Member

sorry missed "optical" out

14. RogerMac

Thanks everyone for all the good advice, In the end my mind was made up by the fact that JL were out of stock and never emailed me with an in stock date.
    I have therefore gone with a Lenovo of very similar spec except that it has an AMD processor and is of course rather more expensive. Also from JL. It came very promptly on click and collect yesterday afternoon and I am very pleased particularly as the keyboard incorporates a standard numeric key pad - which I was not expecting.

Zou and Catriona like this.
  15. caledonia84

caledonia84 Well-Known Member

I know it's late now, but for other people in this position I wen't through the Dell outlet and bought a well speced Dell notebook for around £500 a few years back, 1TB hard drive 8GB of ram with core i7 processor with a graphics card. (New they were around £1000 at the time) It was a refused delivery at the time and they couldn't sell it as new anymore o_O, it also came with a 1 year next day engineer warranty!

I'll buy another from the outlet when the time comes but its still going strong!