1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this lens compatible with this camera?

Discussion in 'Lens Matters' started by Coz, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Coz

Coz Well-Known Member

Is the Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 DI II VC Lens compatible with the Nikon D40?

Also this one...
    Tamron 18-270mm f/3.5-6.3 TS VC PZD Lens.

Is it worth paying an extra £69 for the second one?

Thanks in advance.

2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

It depends on the mount: the bit at the back of the lens that plugs into the camera. There are several different types so you need to check what version you're being offered. If the seller confirms it's a Nikon mount then it should be OK. I have the 16-300mm on a Sony and I'm very pleased with it even at the maximum focal length where superzooms usually struggle.

3. PeteRob

PeteRob Well-Known Member

If they are in Nikon mount. There are not so many posts on here about Tamron incompatibilities compared with Sigma but there are many more posts about what Nikon lens goes with what Nikon body. Superzooms tend to be compromise lenses, whether an 18-270 is worth a premium on an 18-2oo depends on whether you want the extra focal length. I'd advise to read reviews before deciding.

4. Coz

Coz Well-Known Member

Yes it's a Nikon mount... it's from Jessops. I just wondered if those particular lensescould be used on a Nikon D40 providing it had a Nikon mount. Am I right in thinking a 200mm lens is equivalent to a 300mm lens on a non-digital camera?

5. PeteRob

A 200 mm lens is a 200 mm lens. The smaller sensor, compared to full frame (35 mm film size) captures just under half the image area. That's why it is called a crop sensor. It is usual however to view image results at a standard size. So what you see as a final result appears to be the same as you would see with a full size sensor and a longer lens. The effective focal for a Nikon is x1.5 so a 2oomm lens on a crop sensor gives the field of view of a 250 mm lens on a full frame camera. The pixel counts are large enough that there is no loss of detail in enlarging the image for final viewing.

6. beatnik69

beatnik69 Well-Known Member

300mm

7. PeteRob

true. Dunno what I was thinking of

8. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

I don't know enough about the Tamron lens but I do know that the D40 has both a mechanical focus drive and electrical, whether it has VR (VC in Tamron speak) capability I don't know. Check with the camera manual before spending money on a VR (VC) lens.

9. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Are you sure about a D40 having a mechanical focus drive? The D40x is certainly not so endowed.

DaveM399 likes this.
  10. DaveM399

DaveM399 Well-Known Member

The D40 doesn't have the in-body autofocus motor. I think both of those Tamron lenses have autofocus motors in them and should autofocus on a D40.

11. Learning

Learning Ethelred the Ill-Named

Nikon's Lens compatible chart shows similar compatibility for the D40 and D40x.
    https://www.nikonimgsupport.com/eu/BV_article?articleNo=000005532&configured=1&lang=en_GB
    Of course this does not show lenses from Tamron but you can see what types of Nikon lenses that can be used. Basically AF-S G type if you want AF. The D40 does not have a focus motor.
    The D40 will only focus reliably wiith lenses faster or equal apertures of f5.6.
    I have just tried my old D40x with a Sigma 150-500mm . It does AF at f6.3 albeit slowly and with some hunting.
    I have just seen Dave's post. Thanks; you confirm my own finding about the D40.

12. GeoffR

GeoffR Well-Known Member

No! I have never owned any of that series of Nikon.

13. Coz

Coz Well-Known Member

I'm not really bothered about VR, I just want a decent zoom lens that's not too expensive from wide angle to at least 200mm. It doesn't have to be Tamron but I think they are good and not that expensive.

14. Chester AP

Chester AP Well-Known Member

Take you camera body to the shop and find out the easy way.

I used to work with a lady who has a D60 and some autofocus lenses worked and some did not, and this was the only way she could be sure.

15. El_Sid

El_Sid Well-Known Member

If you want it to be good at 200mm then I suggest the 18-270mm is probably the better bet. Most extreme zooms tend to drop off in image quality a bit at the extremes - particularly at the long end. I have an earlier version of the 18-270 and I would say that it's pretty decent at 200mm; it's not bad at 270 but is not as good as it is at 200. With the 18-200mm I'd expect a similar sort of difference with IQ starting to drop off around say 150mm...

As long as the lenses have a built in AF motor (the 18-270 PZD certainly does) I would expect them to compatible with your D40. I have a 10-24mm Tamron and that works fine with my D50 (which predates your D40); in general you are less likely to encounter compatibility issues using new lenses with old bodies than vice versa - unless it's one of Nikon's stupid new AF-P lenses where back incompatibility seems to have been a deliberate design parameter.