1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this a classic?

Discussion in 'Classic Models & Marques' started by John Farrell, Sep 2, 2019.

1. John Farrell

John Farrell Well-Known Member

A Pentina arrived today. The light meter works, as does the shutter, on higher speeds. I'll be running a film through it.

IMG_4341s.jpg

steveandthedogs likes this.
  2. Andrew Flannigan

Andrew Flannigan Well-Known Member

Well done! That could be the only operational Pentina around. ;)

I nearly bought one in 1971 but I knew an old camera mechanic who had worked on various Zeiss/Pentacon products. "That's got to be the worst made camera to come out of Dresden" was his opinion. Having owned a Contax S, a Pentacon FM and various Praktica Novas and Prakticamats that really has to be the most damning statement about a camera that I can remember.

On the other hand you could strike lucky as with this totally thrashed Prakticamat I bought for £10 with a rebadged Orestor and which worked quite well for 8 or 10 cassettes...

Prakticamatcopy.JPG

3. John Farrell

I bid on a pair of Pentinas at a local auction house last year, but missed out on them. One of them worked.

4. nimbus

nimbus Well-Known Member

Any old camera is a classic, if you want it to be, the eye of the beholder and all that, or if you are offering it on Ebay at an inflated price;).

The Zeiss Jena 50mm f2.8 Tessar was a nice lens in it's day though.

5. gray1720

gray1720 Well-Known Member

The problem, IIRC, with the Pentina is that the shutter is built into the camera in such a way that you can't get it out to work on it. It shares the somewhat funky Prestor shutter with the Werra and some of the later Flexarets which isn't in itself a bad piece of kit, but it is - literally, as two shutters in one - twice as complicated as it needs to be.

Adrian

6. John Farrell

The shutter in the Pentina is different to the Werra shutter - the camera uses a capping plate linked to the mirror, so the shutter has only one set of blades. Getting to the shutter means removing the camera body from its outer shell, which is not too difficult if you know how. It's similar in difficulty to a Retina Reflex.

John

7. John Farrell

A couple of pictures from the film I shot in the Pentina today - the 50mm lens has dust and fungus in it, and it shows. I haven't been able to open it to clean the glass. The camera came with a 135mm lens, too, that I was able to clean.

Img_0008.jpg
    Img_0013.jpg

steveandthedogs likes this.